Thread: Retreads - waste of time!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retreads - waste of time!

I needed some tyres for a trip away, and decided to take a gamble on the cheap retreads often advertised on eBay and Gumtree.

I bought a set of 5 x 265/75R16s on BF Goodrich cases (strong sidewalls) and proceeded to head off on the camping trip. I got maybe 150kms before I heard a "thunk" from the rear. I initially put it down to something on the road, right up until we stopped for some of the convoy to refuel. I noticed that I had lost a tread block from each rear tyre.

We proceeded with the rest of the trip, covering about 500kms all up. Over that period we did some gravel tracks, rocky hills and two water crossings (depth was about 2/3rd tyre height). I didn't lose another tread block until we hit the highway going home. On the highway I lost another 5 tread blocks, so a total of 7, split 3-4 on the rears. Fronts were fine.

The tyre dealer did give me a full refund and put my old tyres back on my wheels (inc balancing) at no cost. He claimed it must be due to a bad batch or a heating problem during the mould, but either way I'll never buy them again.

Pics to come.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Motorway tried it and failed, I used to Run 33" Mongrels didn't expect them to last long they didn't
    Think they called them remoulded, but delaminated very quickly Steer clear its a safety issue
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,517 Times in 6,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A re-mould is actually different to a re-tread. A re-tread is literally just that! A new layer of Tread laminated to the top of the carcass. A re-mould is from bead to bead and is a far far better option if you have to make that decision.

The Mongrels pictured above did a great deal of very good off roading before Simex took over the world.

AB still to this day runs a set as his bush tyre on his GQ. I have a set for my Zook.

A new seller is currently listing a re-tread copy of the Mongrel. Beware
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll have to PM AB see what size he runs this one is brand new. got fingers burnt when they went under.
    motorway were suppose to replace the lot but they took my tyres knowing they were going into receivership.
    could of been worse, great value at $180 a corner

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thought AB was running Federals now?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,786 Times in 8,585 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    A re-mould is actually different to a re-tread. A re-tread is literally just that! A new layer of Tread laminated to the top of the carcass. A re-mould is from bead to bead and is a far far better option if you have to make that decision.

The Mongrels pictured above did a great deal of very good off roading before Simex took over the world.

AB still to this day runs a set as his bush tyre on his GQ. I have a set for my Zook.

A new seller is currently listing a re-tread copy of the Mongrel. Beware
    I'm not running those anymore mate as they got too low....Coming back from Loveday 10 hours on the hardtop wore them down too much.

Safety issue was always an "issue" to me but I actually can't complain...lol...They served their purpose amazingly well from long bitumen trips to rocky climbs to muddy tracks but you would rather feel safe not having these IMHO.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And you don't cry as much when you rip the side out of one. either

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics below.
    Pic 1 is the two tread blocks that came off side-by-side. These came off within minutes of each other and caused some serious vibration in that tyre.

Pic 2 shows the location of the 4 missing blocks from the tyre in Pic 1.

Pic 3 is the first block that went missing on the other tyre. It lost another from that inside edge and 3 more from the inside-middle row.

I made the purchase hoping to get 6 months out of the tyres, and not being concerned if they wore quickly or suffered from some chipping, as the entire set would be replaced before the middle of next year in preparation for a big trip. They didn't even last a week!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you not notice any vibration ?? I lost a small part of my old A/T's and the shake in the steering was unbearable ......

Pretty crap but lucky the dealer did not try to stuff you around and fixed you up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Motorway tried it and failed, I used to Run 33" Mongrels didn't expect them to last long they didn't
    Think they called them remoulded, but delaminated very quickly Steer clear its a safety issue
    Off topic. Hey TD you got a shot of the fella in the back ground. Looks awesome mate, love it,

Tappn the App Beers on Tap
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast