PDA

View Full Version : GQ LWB making funny noise...

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 04:35 PM
hey all...

when im go slightly uphill and turn hard left or hard right as im taking off it makes a terrible rubbing/clicking/burring noise...i was certain it was coming from the front of the truck...

however upon further investigation today..since i had finished tafe early i thought id get the the car up on our car ramp at home and see if i could find anything..i put the car in 4wdL and drove up the ramp...got out had a good look all over the back and the front...to see if i could spot anything unusual.... after about 20mins i couldnt see anything that looked out of the ordinary....

once i got the car down the ramp i thought id just drive around in 4wdL and see if i could work out where this noise is coming from..... i had always thought it was coming from the front... but once i got onto the gravel i was turning hard left and hard right and while i had my head out the window it seemed as one of the rear wheels were half locking up on the gravel and sort of skidding along.....on tyre was skidding when i turned one way and then when turning the other way the other tyre would do so....

has this happened to anybody else?? or does anybody know what could/is causing this problem and could help me out...i would really appreciate any help/advice whatsoever...

i really wanna head out to the tracks but im too scared as i dont want the diff or something to completely go on me...

as i said my first thoughts was that it was coming from the front, which lead me to think it was the cv's... but since i had my head out the window today it seemed it was coming from the back??

thanks guys

Winnie
30th March 2012, 05:39 PM
The diff doesn't have a spool or anything does it?

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 06:20 PM
im not sure mate?? any way to tell that??

Winnie
30th March 2012, 07:14 PM
I really doubt it would, never heard of them being put in 4WDs. It's sort of like welding the diff. Don't even know if it's possible on 4WDs.
When you turn sharply at low speeds in car parks and stuff does one of your wheels drag a bit?

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 09:17 PM
very rarely does it do it in a car park...i really notice it when i go to tafe and i drive up a slight incline and its sharp left and sharp right as you drive up to the car parks.... but yeh i notice it when going uphill and sharp turns, and also from a take off position.... i think ill get it up on the ramp again 2moro and take off the wheels and just have a good look over everything....im no mechanic by any means but im keen to give things a go myself so that if something happens on the tracks ive got atleast a half a chance of atleast being able to make it home.. plus i love working on the car and making it my own..... and to learn enough to make my own rock crawler one day :P................ after i win the lotto haha

Morton
21st April 2012, 11:06 PM
Micktroll this sounds like you have a detroit locker in the rear diff, if you are turning hard left & the rear left wheel is skidding/chattering, same thing with the right wheel when turning hard right, it is more prominent taking off uphill & turning at the same time as the rear is under additional load, this style of locker is constant & makes both wheels turn the same regardless of direction or traction, you will be happy to know this is a very good thing for off road, just a bit annoying on the tar but safe, they have been known to be fitted to the Patrols, the only way to really know is pull the diff centre out, a diff shop can tell you in 30 minutes, on a hard turn the inside wheel will be trying to turn at the same rate as the outside wheel, hence the chatter sound

johno90
22nd April 2012, 11:46 AM
Id be happy if my diff was doingt this :) locker locker locker fun fun fun

Ben-e-boy
22nd April 2012, 12:05 PM
your rear diff locking is just your lsd working properly mine does it it. as for the noise, does it only happen when taking off (or very sllow speed)

Micktroll
8th May 2012, 10:40 PM
i really noticed it when i got to tafe... you pull up to the main car park and there is a shar left and right..sort of like a tight s-bend...so its pretty hard left whilst rolling slowly and then hard right as it goes uphill and yeh...ive been waiting for something to break..but all has been good so far...

i wish it is a auto locker hehe might explain the hills i got up yesterday with no dramas and not much wheel spin and a mates vitara made it up only half way lol

im sending the car to the mechanic next week and hes gonna have a good look over the whole car for me :) thanks guys

dion_83
23rd May 2012, 12:04 AM
The factory GQ rear locker have a bad habbit of getting stuck.