PDA

View Full Version : dts fitment

dirtaddict
30th March 2012, 04:11 PM
Finally gonna fit the dts kit to the gq wagon this weekend complete with 3 inch and aneroid on pretty fresh stock pump , they now come with corner mounted gu style airbox , wondering if k&n filters are worth the bucks? i know breath better but what about filtration ? are they as good as paper filters? Would you run one dirt roads ? Also not sure what to expect from the old truck will be towing about 1100kg and run standard 31`s and will be using 12 psi as i`ve been advised i can get away with about that non intercooled , anyone know cherry tree hill on the way to mudgee? it sucks if you aint got grunt hoping it will do it in 4th at say 80 instead of 2nd at 50-60 and valve bouncing ! If it don`t i`l be on the phone to A.R.E for thier top mount and scoop, another 1500 bucks , the things we do for fun hey !

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 04:34 PM
I would run a genuine filter or a paper filter. I reckon that water can get through the k&n ones easier than say a paper one which the water will soak into. Filtration is as good as any. Where abouts are you located dirt addict?

dirtaddict
30th March 2012, 06:04 PM
I would run a genuine filter or a paper filter. I reckon that water can get through the k&n ones easier than say a paper one which the water will soak into. Filtration is as good as any. Where abouts are you located dirt addict?

i`m in western sydney mate , to go west its all hills for an hour

Ben-e-boy
30th March 2012, 06:19 PM
Finally gonna fit the dts kit to the gq wagon this weekend complete with 3 inch and aneroid on pretty fresh stock pump , they now come with corner mounted gu style airbox , wondering if k&n filters are worth the bucks? i know breath better but what about filtration ? are they as good as paper filters? Would you run one dirt roads ? Also not sure what to expect from the old truck will be towing about 1100kg and run standard 31`s and will be using 12 psi as i`ve been advised i can get away with about that non intercooled , anyone know cherry tree hill on the way to mudgee? it sucks if you aint got grunt hoping it will do it in 4th at say 80 instead of 2nd at 50-60 and valve bouncing ! If it don`t i`l be on the phone to A.R.E for thier top mount and scoop, another 1500 bucks , the things we do for fun hey !

the ARE top mount bracketry are designed for gu's you need to drill holes in the radiator support panel and firewall, you'll nee to make it fit to a gq...........excellent choice though

dirtaddict
30th March 2012, 07:24 PM
the ARE top mount bracketry are designed for gu's you need to drill holes in the radiator support panel and firewall, you'll nee to make it fit to a gq...........excellent choice though

yeah ben e i will have to do some fabrication to make it fit the gq as the gu bracket is unusable , might weld lugs on the sides with thread in them and use heavy aluminum brackets with a rubber mount between them and the cooler , getting the height righ iis the biggest pain i can see .

Ben-e-boy
30th March 2012, 08:04 PM
yeah ben e i will have to do some fabrication to make it fit the gq as the gu bracket is unusable , might weld lugs on the sides with thread in them and use heavy aluminum brackets with a rubber mount between them and the cooler , getting the height righ iis the biggest pain i can see .

you can make up a bracket similar to their water to air wich is mounted on the motor. or go onto cross country intercoolers site and I think there is a pic of their brackets that mount to the block

If you can wait 6 week until my ARE water to air is built I'll send you a pic of the mounting system

dirtaddict
31st March 2012, 01:30 PM
you can make up a bracket similar to their water to air wich is mounted on the motor. or go onto cross country intercoolers site and I think there is a pic of their brackets that mount to the block

If you can wait 6 week until my ARE water to air is built I'll send you a pic of the mounting system

Sweet mate that`d be a hlp for sure lookforward to it

dirtaddict
2nd April 2012, 06:28 AM
Sweet mate that`d be a hlp for sure lookforward to it

what a prick of a job. thse low mount systems are hard to get at , broken studs in head no 6 one nearimposible to get at , elbow that comes off turbo inlet hits the engine mount so had to remove it and grind some clearance which i`m not chuffed with , corner mount aurbox came with no bracket , no holes ,
Any one fitted the dts system in a gq with this airbox? looks like i`l have to fabricate something for it , not sure if i can weld it as its cast and i don`t want to dril holes in it so will have to be some sort of clamp ,the lid doesn`t seal well iether only has 2 pull down clips

Ben-e-boy
2nd April 2012, 09:34 AM
what a prick of a job. thse low mount systems are hard to get at , broken studs in head no 6 one nearimposible to get at , elbow that comes off turbo inlet hits the engine mount so had to remove it and grind some clearance which i`m not chuffed with , corner mount aurbox came with no bracket , no holes ,
Any one fitted the dts system in a gq with this airbox? looks like i`l have to fabricate something for it , not sure if i can weld it as its cast and i don`t want to dril holes in it so will have to be some sort of clamp ,the lid doesn`t seal well iether only has 2 pull down clips

you are going to have to post some pics mate

nissannewby
2nd April 2012, 11:33 AM
I normally remove/ install manifold and turbo as one peice. Im not sure on your airbox as GQ's have the mounting holes for GU airboxes. As ben-e-boy said throw us some pics and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

dirtaddict
6th April 2012, 09:05 PM
ok got it done last mondy , the exhaust was suprisingly easy to fit just had to trim 1 section by 1/2 inch and it went on pretty good .Got the airbox sorted but had to put my own air in piping as the supplied stuff was a no chance to fit , Goes quite well for low boost , gotta get tune done right though as i havn`nt got a pyro and don`t know what the temps are yet . Gets to 4 th gear up bellbird hill with empty horse float 850 kgs so thats not bad . No smoke , i turned the fuel in 1/4 turn at first and it didn`t seem to make much boost until over 2000 revs , went in another 1/4 and it pulls from 1800 strongly , no smoke only a small puff just before it comes on boost

how do i up load pics?
thanks

dirtaddict
10th April 2012, 10:02 PM
So guys got it all fitted a week back , still needs a tune and boost adjust but goes well , towed a 4 bike trailer and all our gear to mudgee over easter and on the open road its a different vehicle , most hills are 4th at worst and its by no means a flat run there are some long hills on this trip , the temp gauge comes up quite quick when pusged hard up hills though , i don`t have apyro yet and the fuel and boost have not been tuned so i`m a bit concerned that ist not quite right , will be getting both those this week and hope to run about 12 pound boost until i get cooler then go 14, ah yeah need a clutch now , went for a cold air night drive today and it was making great power but more then the clutch could handle , so whats the g.o with clutches , which is good value out of the heavy duty ones avaialable ,

thanks

nissannewby
11th April 2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah it sounds like she needs the tune and you will certainly need to get yourself a pyro. With a good tune on 12 psi she will be different again mate you will prob find you will nearly be able to hold 5th on more of thse hills. With the clutchs I have used both a sports tuff and safari tuff in my GQ which runs a dts kit (high flowed turbo, flowed head, 14psi unintercooled) which makes 130hp at the wheels on 35's I couldnt ever get the sports tuff to slip and it had good feel. The only reason i went to the safari tuff is i though i had a rear main leak so changed it again. The safari is a little more harsh being a heavier duty clutch but the sports tuff was good i had no dramas with it. Oh and the safari tufff went in also cos i plan to run 37's

Ben-e-boy
11th April 2012, 12:49 PM
So guys got it all fitted a week back , still needs a tune and boost adjust but goes well , towed a 4 bike trailer and all our gear to mudgee over easter and on the open road its a different vehicle , most hills are 4th at worst and its by no means a flat run there are some long hills on this trip , the temp gauge comes up quite quick when pusged hard up hills though , i don`t have apyro yet and the fuel and boost have not been tuned so i`m a bit concerned that ist not quite right , will be getting both those this week and hope to run about 12 pound boost until i get cooler then go 14, ah yeah need a clutch now , went for a cold air night drive today and it was making great power but more then the clutch could handle , so whats the g.o with clutches , which is good value out of the heavy duty ones avaialable ,

thanks

you need to upgrade your radiator when you turbo a td42 you need a core radiator

nissannewby
11th April 2012, 02:44 PM
Thats one of those things some have to be some dont I'm still running the original in mine and she never comes over 80 on a hot day yet a mate of mine had to put the biggest one he could find in.

Rosco
11th April 2012, 03:11 PM
My 4 terrain clutch is still working well after 70k

dirtaddict
17th April 2012, 07:50 AM
had the boost set at 12 , went well but i don`t think they had the fuel quite right cause it seem to have lost that bottom end again , i`m not looking for tyer smoking power its just before i sent it away it had that nice pull between that 2nd 3rd gear gap below 1800 rpm and when it came back it was gone so i went 1/4 turn in on the fuel and bingo it was back and then some , only problem is the boost went up with it to around 14 which is too much without intercooler , will be fitting pyro today but pretty sure it`l need to come back a bit .

nissannewby
17th April 2012, 10:57 AM
I run 14 in mine without an intercooler. Yeah if your loading it you will have to come back a little your pyro will let you know if you need more or less if she getting hot quick you need less fuel/ more air and so on and so fourth.

dirtaddict
17th April 2012, 02:23 PM
I run 14 in mine without an intercooler. Yeah if your loading it you will have to come back a little your pyro will let you know if you need more or less if she getting hot quick you need less fuel/ more air and so on and so fourth.

so as long as i`m under 550 at worst i can get away with 13-14 hey? that`d be good cause its nice to drive at that

nissannewby
17th April 2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah it will depend on what you do with the vehicle mine is basically a play toy doesnt getting loaded up very often. 13-14 will be fine as long as you drive to your pyro i aim to keep mine under 500 which isnt hard to do.

dirtaddict
17th April 2012, 10:14 PM
fitted pyro but can`t load the thing up enough to see where its at because the clutch slips like a drunk on greaesd ice ! new clutch on thursday

bordertech
20th April 2012, 10:15 PM
I would run a genuine filter or a paper filter. I reckon that water can get through the k&n ones easier than say a paper one which the water will soak into. Filtration is as good as any. Where abouts are you located dirt addict?lol I doubt that. I've seen 1st hand hydaulicised motors with paper filters. If air can get through so will water.

wondering if k&n filters are worth the bucks?They flow better but dont filter as well as paper filters.
for oiled filters I'd use a Uni Filter, good flow with very good filtration.
I used to use paper filters but going off road a lot meant I was replacing them every 4 months or so and the cost was mounting up. A Uni Filter was $70 and I havent replaced a filter in 5 years, just clean out the Uni when it needs it and re oil.

nissannewby
20th April 2012, 11:03 PM
lol I doubt that. I've seen 1st hand hydaulicised motors with paper filters. If air can get through so will water.
They flow better but dont filter as well as paper filters.
for oiled filters I'd use a Uni Filter, good flow with very good filtration.
I used to use paper filters but going off road a lot meant I was replacing them every 4 months or so and the cost was mounting up. A Uni Filter was $70 and I havent replaced a filter in 5 years, just clean out the Uni when it needs it and re oil. Yeah i have also seen first hand a paper filter clog up with muddy water to the point where its collapsing intake hoses but no water managed to get into the motor. The difference between the 2 is marginal was just going off personal experience myself as well. Good airflow will come down to a well designed air box and well designed intake as well as a good air filter.

dirtaddict
22nd April 2012, 09:38 PM
clutch fitted , towed 1200 kgs 800 k`s over the weekend , good performance , pyro went to 600 once but i backed off and it was only there for 2 seconds max , shit myself thought it was game over but seems fine , need cooler to run the state of tune i have at the moment , economy is better than expected at 13 per hundred on what is a hilly run and thats at 100-110 most of the way exept for the biggest hills which were 80 at worst in 4th gear . another 50 nm would be nice ! not sure whats it got now but at goes as good as a pajero with suposed 440 nm .

nissannewby
22nd April 2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah the intercooler will help a load with that obviously keeps the temps down which allows you to keep in the bulk of the power while staying cool.