PDA

View Full Version : TD42 K's, how many is on yours and what problems have you had?

Richo460
30th March 2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Everyone, i'm new to the forum.
I just bought another patrol, sight unseen (what have i done) as its got the goodies i wanted and i work overseas so i have no time to look at every patrol i like.

Its a GQ wagon TD42 N/A with 400 000k's on it, its not the first TD42 i have owned but i need it to be reliable. I am wondering what problems poeple have had with theirs, at what k's, if they have needed rebuilds etc. I am planning to put a turbo on it myself at some point if the compression is ok.
I know these are pretty good donks if looked after but you never can predict a failure. How well do they handle a turbo with lots of k's already on them?

:bananarock:If your going through hell...keep going:bananarock:

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 03:28 PM
Will handle a mild turbo setup well if as you said the compression checks out. I have about 250k on each of my patrols and apart from the breakages on my GQ (gets used for what its built for) the only real thing i had to worry about is a battery and a clutch. I do all the regular maint servicing bearings etc and have never really had an issue. Possibly the only thing to look at with that many k's would be to possibly get the injector pump overhauled to get the most out of a turbo setup.

Ben-e-boy
30th March 2012, 04:31 PM
mine has 283 thousand I have broken a cv and done injector pump rear seal

Richo460
30th March 2012, 05:05 PM
aparently mine has had th injector pump done at 270. Do you need to do the timing chain every 100? i have read of some people doing the big end bearings but not a full build? Its nearly impossible to find a low k motor these days. I was thinking a gt28 turbo running 6-8 psi would be enough, i have several steet cars that are built to go fast, but not built to go over speed bumps!

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 05:34 PM
TD42 is gear driven cam mate no belts or chains in the ole girl. I would recommend a td05 turbo they are better suited to the td motor especially for what you are wanting. Low k TD42 would be rare crate motor would be the go. If the injector pump was done then perform the compression test and if she is in spec go for it.

AB
30th March 2012, 08:10 PM
TD42 215,000 km's with turbo put in last 10,000km's.

Nothing major gone wrong at all apart from new alternator.

growler2058
30th March 2012, 08:16 PM
500,000++ havent owned it for those K's only about 10thou and replaced the alternator after i filled it with mud, seems to be good and strong still. The welsch plugs looked kinda newish when i picked it up as did the head so it may have been rebuilt

Finly Owner
30th March 2012, 09:15 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim