PDA

View Full Version : 4Wding with large families.

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 12:12 PM
Just curious to find out how many ppl 4wd with families of 6 or more. My wife is pregnant with our 4th and we just bought a gq as some will know to carry the extra kid. How do people go when taking the family out with things like storage, comfort etc. i realise a roof rack is high on the list to carry things but can you fit a fridge in the back with a third row seat?

Interested to know how other people with the same problem tackle them.

oncedisturbed
30th March 2012, 01:21 PM
most of the time, people will look at a camper trailer or a generic offroad trailer in order to cater for all their gear, even more so when fridges etc are taken into account

a roof rack will assist in carrying gear but it would have to be a very small fridge if the 3rd row seats are used.

Winnie
30th March 2012, 01:38 PM
You'd be pretty hard pressed to fit a fridge in there with the 3rd row down. Bugger all room in there once that is down.

Tweakedoffroad
30th March 2012, 02:03 PM
Yea we have 4 kids and dog we got a camping trailer so much easier rather than having to much weight on the roof

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 04:12 PM
I dont have the luxury of affording a camper trailer.

MudRunnerTD
30th March 2012, 04:22 PM
You could probably tie down a fridge in on of the rear seats with your 4th sitting beside it. Alternatively you could remove the front centre console and replace that with a small fridge which i have sen a few times. Mostly when putting between the front seats they put a 8 or 15lt fridge but you might be able to fit something bigger in the Waeco range as some of them are tall and narrow, you might give up a little floor space in the middle of the middle row.

Definitely a good roof rack is needed. you will make it happen mate.

Where abouts are you?

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2012, 06:42 PM
Where abouts are you?

Darren, Darren is from Cowra

Punderhead
30th March 2012, 06:51 PM
For a lot of places you will be able to use just a normal box trailer, provided you take the easy tracks to the campsite, then leave the trailer there before venturing into the rough stuff.

But it's ok though. Wait till your eldest had their licence, perswade them to buy a 4by, and presto - 2 vehicles and more room! Well, thats why dad was happy when I got my patrol!

Cheers!

LittleJohn
30th March 2012, 07:03 PM
why not make a fride bracket to fit into the hitch square tow reciever,
like alot of people do for their motorbikes, just a rectangular type cage,
aven make it big enough to carry some of your cargo too.
make it out of alloy.

just an idea.

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2012, 07:13 PM
I have seen LittleJohns idea advertised in various places, just do a search on the net

Here is one for you.

http://www.letsgoaero.com/Products.asp?Pcat=2

Would just have get legal requirments sorted for NSW............ and good luck with that

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 07:24 PM
You could probably tie down a fridge in on of the rear seats with your 4th sitting beside it. Alternatively you could remove the front centre console and replace that with a small fridge which i have sen a few times. Mostly when putting between the front seats they put a 8 or 15lt fridge but you might be able to fit something bigger in the Waeco range as some of them are tall and narrow, you might give up a little floor space in the middle of the middle row.

Definitely a good roof rack is needed. you will make it happen mate.

Where abouts are you?

Darren, Darren is from Cowra

Yes im from cowra.

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 07:27 PM
Trailers may be good for the extended stay overs but most of my trips are with the club and the places we go wouldnt be suited to take a trailer.

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2012, 07:31 PM
Darren, off topic, but is that your business in your signature link???

AB
30th March 2012, 08:25 PM
I have seen LittleJohns idea advertised in various places, just do a search on the net

Here is one for you.

http://www.letsgoaero.com/Products.asp?Pcat=2

Would just have get legal requirments sorted for NSW............ and good luck with that

Just be careful how far you have one of these things as I would smash that after the first hole in my areas.

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 09:27 PM
why do you ask?

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 09:28 PM
Darren, off topic, but is that your business in your signature link???

why do you ask. do i need to remove it.

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 09:31 PM
Just be careful how far you have one of these things as I would smash that after the first hole in my areas.

Yeh i agree it wouldnt last long where i go.

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2012, 09:33 PM
why do you ask?

No need to remove it mate

Add it to the vendor thread if you want Darren, never hurts to do some promoting

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 09:44 PM
Its not a registered business yet more of a hobby. Being an interstate truck driver finding time to do more cars isnt easy with a 1.5 days at home. Once i find a job in town and its registered i'll push it a bit more and add to the list here.

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2012, 09:49 PM
Its not a registered business yet more of a hobby. Being an interstate truck driver finding time to do more cars isnt easy with a 1.5 days at home. Once i find a job in town and its registered i'll push it a bit more and add to the list here.

No worries mate.

Thirsty
30th March 2012, 10:06 PM
Hi, In my GU, I have 1 of the 3rd row split seats removed. I replaced it with a draw with built in fridge slide. That Handles all dry food and the 60L engel that sits on top takes care of the cold. I have 2 oztrail tourer 9 tents that sit up top on a full length ARB roofrack with a rhino bag keeping the clothes dry. A gas bottle mounted to the back cnr of the roofrack that I run hose down to the cooker that sits on a rear door table. I currently have 1 awning on the side for shade and will also be putting another on the back for more shade. All of which is lit up with LED strip lighting. A 39L poly water tank that sits on the back floor under the kids feet. I have 4 kids and my wife and I that camp this way as much as possible. I have been through the camper trailer faze and have found this to be a far better option

cheers

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 10:16 PM
from what ive been told the 3rd row seats are a single bench seat in the gq.

Clunk
30th March 2012, 10:22 PM

That's exactly right mate, I know of a couple of guys who are looking at trying to use a couple of the split seats from a GU instead of a bench seat but I'm not sure if they've worked out how to do it yet...... It's something I'm keen to do if its possible

Winnie
30th March 2012, 10:22 PM

Spot on, I took mine out tonight.
Have heard of split 3rd rows in GQs though but never seen it.

Thirsty
31st March 2012, 07:52 PM
My brother had split seats in his old GQ. They looked factory fit to me.

chester
31st March 2012, 08:08 PM
That's exactly right mate, I know of a couple of guys who are looking at trying to use a couple of the split seats from a GU instead of a bench seat but I'm not sure if they've worked out how to do it yet...... It's something I'm keen to do if its possibleIve got a pair of GU rear seat in my shed,gunna put one in mine soon.It don't look to hard will have to reinforce the wheel arch somehow.Will post pics of how i do it.

BLKWDW
1st April 2012, 10:28 AM
Can you fit a 3/4 front seat out of a gq ute to a lwb patrol?

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2012, 10:42 AM
Can you fit a 3/4 front seat out of a gq ute to a lwb patrol?

I would think Definitely..

Another thought on the fridge placement. Along the lines of the post from Littlejohn for the back but keeping it up high and out of harms way. If your going a roof rack then maybe remove the spare wheel off the back door and put it up on the roof rack at the back of the rack and make a bracket and mount for a fridge on the back of the back door in lieu of the wheel. You could put a 60lt+ there no problem at all. An Engel would handle that spot and i reckon a Waeco would too.

Put on a Side Awning and your in business mate.

***** Side note re your Sig line.

Hey mate, rather than just a link to facebook that really does not give an idea of what the link does, repost your sig line using the "link" tab (looks like the Earth with a motorcycle chain link) and then you can rename it and the link will show up as the business name rather than just a link. Something like this mate

For all your Car and Truck Detailing needs checkout Xcessive-Car-Care (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Xcessive-Car-Care/101635223215500) We will look after your Pride and Joy. ;)

BLKWDW
1st April 2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks mate for the sig advice done it.

With the fridge idea i really want to keep fridge inside as i'm gona make a rear bar to hold the spare wheel and some jerry cans. Probably wont worry bout the 3/4 front seat a bit squashy. Mite keep roof rack for day trips and throw 2 of the kids in the back seats or if the split 3rd row seats work i'll do that. Looking at a trailer for the longer weekends away type stuff. If i can find a written of or rolled patrol i wuld like to cut it in half and use it as a trailer.