PDA

View Full Version : Icom 440 Uhf

Patto
30th March 2012, 10:34 AM
Hi All
I have a Icom 440 uhf that is just over 3 years old and upto now has worked fine but recently it has been playing up
When the temp is normal (20-25 deg) it seems to work ok but as soon as the temp rises it does funny things
It usually starts with the set receiving calls from other sets. The display on the microphone / handset shows either group calls or calls but when I answer it there is never any body there . After a while the display on the handset/mic freezes and when this happens the set will not receive or transmit or use any of the function on the hand set eg: change channel or volume etc, and I am unable to do any thing with the set not even turn it off.
The only thing thing possible is to unplug the hand set wait for a while and then plug it back in. Most of the time this allows the hand set / mic to work for a short period and then it happens again
Has any one had similar trouble with one of these sets
I am wondering wether it is worth repairing as it is a 40 chn set and apparently not up gradable to 80 chn

Cheers

Phil

oncedisturbed
30th March 2012, 10:45 AM
don't bother repairing it as the 40 channel system gets switched off next year from memory. The cost of repair v replace would be nearly the same. I would replace with a new 77 channel (80 channel total) that way you know it works and gets the warranty as well.

I just bought the GME TX3100 with a 3.6DB and 6DB combo aerial from ARB and it is a great, compact unit that won't get in the way, nice and clear / crisp and you can change the handset to a remote one if you wanted to down the track and put an extrenal speaker on if needed

the evil twin
30th March 2012, 01:39 PM
40 channels will be OK for years yet so could be worth getting it looked at if you find a tech who'll do it cheaply enough. It could be a quite simple fault and a bit of sluething with some O freeze and a dab of solder may have you back on the air.

A decent remote mic set of the same quality is going to set you back high 300's or low 400's. If you drop back to a Uniden or lesser brand again then low 300's to high 200's.

Thats a fair few bucks but if you want to go to an 80 channel set then fair enough