PDA

View Full Version : Rb30 carby problem

c_donno2001
29th March 2012, 12:24 PM
Hi people,

This morning when I got into my jeep to go to work I was about five minutes away from home when something wierd happened. The engine lost all power and wouldnt go over 3k revs. It would only build up speed in 1st and 2nd no passing say 50km in third. At this stage the engine was warm or so the stat on the dash is saying. This happened me last week aswell but it didnt last as long.

After say three or four mins pulled over on the side of the road I tried to rev it a little and it was very slow coming up the revs, kind of smothered or something.

So I decided id turn and head for home before I pulled on to the highway as i didnt wanna be doing 50km driving people crazy on their way to work. When I started driving again it was fixed, perfect driving like normal power all back again. I drove to work and around for a while and it seems to be perfect.

Now im looking for opinions as to what it might be. something like this happened to me before and it was a blocked cat, but it wasnt intermittent like this is. Im thinking its not getting either enough air or fuel for some reason.... It has me thinking and im baffled...

Any questions for more info, or ideas on what it may be are appreciated...

Benno7
29th March 2012, 06:23 PM
Hi mate, Im not to familiar hoe the rb30 carb is set up but I had a R31 skyline and it had a similar problem it ended up being the crank angle sensor.
And all i had to do to fix it was pull the dizzy apart and clean the crank angle sensor.
Hope this helps

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 04:22 PM
hey mate i also had the same problem with my RB30 gq...

it only happens in the colder months, and unless i let the engine warm up enough before i took off, say about 5-10mins or so i would get about couple km down the road and same deal...

i ended up pulling the top of the carby off and making sure it was all clean and no dirt or anything was getting in there....i also re-routed (took it outta the picture) the antipollution thing....i also had my uncle have a look at it and we couldnt really work out the exact culprit....we pulled all the hoses off and had a good look at everything to make sure all the fluids were getting around no dramas and put a new gasket on a couple of the parts...put it back together and it seemed to sort itself out..

ill be interested to see how it goes this winter as its coming up again soon...if it plays up i shall b taking it to my mechanic...

if i find out anything i shall let all know...

cheers

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 04:30 PM
Could be something to do with the choke have a look at the vacuum lines for make sure its not jammed or anything this will cause it to run badly. Check all vacuum, fuel lines etc for breakages,blockages etc.

c_donno2001
30th March 2012, 08:08 PM
Hi mate, Im not to familiar hoe the rb30 carb is set up but I had a R31 skyline and it had a similar problem it ended up being the crank angle sensor.
And all i had to do to fix it was pull the dizzy apart and clean the crank angle sensor.
Hope this helps

I think if it is the crank angle sensor it would be more regular, its only done it twice in two weeks but I will do what you said in the morning just for the hell of it...

c_donno2001
30th March 2012, 08:11 PM
hey mate i also had the same problem with my RB30 gq...

it only happens in the colder months, and unless i let the engine warm up enough before i took off, say about 5-10mins or so i would get about couple km down the road and same deal...

i ended up pulling the top of the carby off and making sure it was all clean and no dirt or anything was getting in there....i also re-routed (took it outta the picture) the antipollution thing....i also had my uncle have a look at it and we couldnt really work out the exact culprit....we pulled all the hoses off and had a good look at everything to make sure all the fluids were getting around no dramas and put a new gasket on a couple of the parts...put it back together and it seemed to sort itself out..

ill be interested to see how it goes this winter as its coming up again soon...if it plays up i shall b taking it to my mechanic...

if i find out anything i shall let all know...

cheers

How did you go about taking the egr outa the equation??? ( the anti pollution thing ) Im thinking it has something to do with choke / warming up im going to f*ck around tomorrow and see what goes down...

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 09:26 PM
left it still sitting in there but jus tapped off a couple of the hoses...almost asif it was just feeding itself...or looping back into itself

Broadway
29th June 2014, 02:47 PM
Has anyone fixed this problem?? mine dose the same thing

mudnut
29th June 2014, 04:16 PM
Hello, Broadway, and welcome to the forum. Please head over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself and your rig.

Try this thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28517-RB30-Facts-Figures-and-Helpful-Hints

GQ TANK
2nd July 2014, 01:29 AM
I didnt think the RB30s (carby) gq motor used a crank angle sensor.

I would replace the fuel filters- sounds like you might have a intermittanly blocked one.

When I fitted a rb30s to my mk, I removed the EGR - just made up a blanking plate (I had to as the the EGR piping was hitting the drive shaft) even after I had tilted the motor

mudnut
2nd July 2014, 11:25 AM
Have you changed your user name? Anyway. I have found that the RB30 carby really needs the preheat flap and stove pipe, (the flexible pipe connected to the exhaust shroud) to be fitted and working.