PDA

View Full Version : Blacky k

blacky k
29th March 2012, 11:58 AM
hi,
as mentioned in my first post
have just fitted a 2006 zd30 to my 2002 patrol , motor has done 90,000.
old motor died at around 140,000 criusing at 100k towing the van on the way to sharks bay.

have fitted a 3 inch exhaust straight from the drop pipe , no cat.
fitted a catch can and blocked the emmision , this caused the boost to go all over the place (up to about 22lb ) also had the nissan motor protection problem , i.e. if you sat on 2700revs for any time you would lose the ability to accerlerate .
have adjusted the turbo ,now boost varies between 4 to 12 lb ( have not towed anything as yet )
seem to have a lot more torque and egt temps are way down , it use to run at any thing betweem 450f to 700f( up to 1000f towing) before mods now around 250f to 500. ( once again have not towed ).
plan to put a dawes valve on shortly .
would appreciate any comments on what I have done and would there be any problems arising from any od the mods .
also with the extra torqe after adjustint the turbo , does that mean more fuel is going in and will this cause a problem.

regards

blacky k

Bigrig
29th March 2012, 04:41 PM
Bump - just so it doesn't slip down the list.

Hopefully someone will be able to assist mate, so hang tight.

blacky k
1st August 2012, 12:55 PM
hi all ,
have done 2 long trips towing since all the mods completed( 3 inch exhaust , blocked emmission , Catch can , adjusted turbo )( 3ltr turbo ZD30) and car was going quite well,good torque , egt's were a little high , boost was good not going over 18 lb , well you would not read about it , on the last trip the Maf sensor shit itself again , no damage this time , got to Geraldton and was lucky enough to get hold of a new one ($350 bucks genuine , $100 cheaper than at Nissan in perth.)
Obviously the old Maf had not been performing as it should for some time , with the new one fitted it was like driving a new car , more torque ,boost was lower and more consistant , egt were lower and fuel economy better .
the moral of the story is keep an eye on your maf sensor , as I had fitted the boost and egt guages I had a fair idea what had happened , I would recomend that anyone who has the ZD30 motor do the mods that I have done and especially fit the egt and boost guages ,( the last time my maf shit itself I blew the motor as I had no idea what was happening .) at least you can see what your motor is doing and if it starts to over boost and get hot you can back off .
I have purchased a Dawes valve to prevent overboosting but have not fitted it as adjusting the turbo seems to prevent or restrict over boosting .
you can check your maf sensor by doing an ohm reading , not sure what they should peak at but the one that shit itself was only reading about 2.1 ohms and I think it should read about 3.8 but dont quote me on this you would have to check it with a trained technition.
i hope the above may help unsuspecting ZD30 buyers , HOWEVER I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT THE ABOVE WILL PREVENT YOU MOTOR FROM BLOWING .

REGARDS

BLACKY.