PDA

View Full Version : Engine strucgling to start

paulvdw
29th March 2012, 07:56 AM
My Patrol battles to start in the mornings and sounds realy laboured. Could it be glow plug issues or battery. The battery seems fine.

Any recommendations?

nissannewby
29th March 2012, 10:15 AM
Does she start sweet once at operating temp? I would say a glow issue if it only does it when cold.

paulvdw
29th March 2012, 01:51 PM
Yup. Only when cold. When at operating temp she is fine.

Deevo
29th March 2012, 03:49 PM
Paul, the first thing to check is whether or not the battery is spinning the engine fast enough. If it is, the next things to check are the glow plugs. If you remove each glow plug and BRIEFLY connect it to the battery, it should get hot within about 3 seconds. The next thing to check is whether the glow plugs are getting power. This can be done with a test light or voltmeter. If this is working OK, you'll have to check that the fuel shut-off valve is not momentaroily sticking closed. Also check that the injectors are getting fuel. Does the pump need bleeding? I've also read that there is a small gauze screen in the pump where the inlet pipe screws in. Finally, if all this checks out, do a compression test. hope this helps. Deevo.

paulvdw
30th March 2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will have a look over the weekend and hopefully resolve.

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
30th March 2012, 09:49 PM
How do you know the battery is fine? Batteries fail before Glow plugs, FACT!

Tim

Rosco
30th March 2012, 10:34 PM
get the battery load tested. Usually a auto electrician does this or some mechanics may have a tester.

Robo
31st March 2012, 02:50 AM
Get yourself a hydrometer can tell you if you have a decent battery.
At home in under 5 min, a good maintance practice anyway.
Cheap and easy.

paulvdw
31st March 2012, 08:06 PM
Tried to get in to check the glow plugs. Did not have the correct size tube spanner op remove. Will get a hydrometer and check the battery.

However I have noticed a tapping when listening to the engine. Could this jus be the injectors?

I have the 3.0 litre common rail diesel.

Are these the engines with common problems? If so what problems could I experience and what should I do to prevent any issues!

Cheers

Paul

Kelvinator
31st March 2012, 10:34 PM
you can load test a battery with a multi meter. Check ur voltage then start the car and watch the voltage drop. in a good manual it should tell you what the minimum drop voltage should be. Cant remember off the top of my head but i think less then ten you should be worried. also take off the caps to the cells and check for bubbles when starting, if u get bubbles, shes more than likely buggered. Also turn ur high beams on while running and see what kind of drop you have, then test with engine off, if you see any rapid rate of drop these are indications of a shagged battery. Also, you should check your terminals for good connection before this.

And with your common rail be very careful with your fuel pressures mate, there were guys killed in the states by common rail pressure releases before we even started to get them over here. Although i sure you probly already know that. Hope this helps buddy

Robo
1st April 2012, 11:27 AM
If your sure the battery is ok , an old trick is to pour hot water over the glow plugs to get some heat into em, see what happens then.

Batterys can be tricky things.
had a tricky 1 to figure in the middle of no-where some yrs back, bat had cracked elec circuit between cells and still supplied power for all but starter mtr, starter required more power than could bridge the gap.

the ferret
1st April 2012, 11:47 AM
By the sound of your first post, I would be having a good look at the starter and earths.
Have you been through some water lately?
Try another good battery, if it's still the same, it could be the starter motor.
Cheers, the ferret.