PDA

View Full Version : Water in intake system and engine

BossGQ
27th March 2012, 06:41 PM
Hey guys, I have a 1993 td42 GQ and i've got water in the intake system and i suspect the engine is getting a bit of water through it every now and then, do i just have to clear out the intake system and then take the injectors out and turn the engine over to get the water out (never had a diesel before so not quite sure). The engine kept running when it sucked up the water but it shuddered a bit and runs now but don't want to drive it until i'm sure there is no water in it. It got in cause the idiot that installed the snorkle forgot to put a rubber bung back into a hole in the airbox.

Bigrig
27th March 2012, 07:07 PM
Don't quote me, but I think you're supposed to take the glow plugs out also to clear water??

Anyone else help here??

the ferret
27th March 2012, 07:16 PM
Yes, definitely pull the glo plugs, whiz it over to expell all moisture, dry the airfilter, drain oil and replace.
Take it for a good run to get it up to temp.
Check there is no water in the clutch housing.
If you are very lucky, you won't have bent a conrod.
Cheers, the ferret

BossGQ
27th March 2012, 09:28 PM
Alright thanks for that, hopefully knock it all over on saturday!

the ferret
27th March 2012, 09:42 PM
Alright thanks for that, hopefully knock it all over on saturday!
Don't leave the water in it till Saturday, you will end up having rusty rings and cylinder walls, then it WON"T turn over.
At least pull the glo plugs out and whiz it over and spray some wd 40 in the plug holes.
Get all the wd 40 out before you start it or it will knock like a banshi.
Cheers, the ferret.

G U LOOKS GOOD
27th March 2012, 10:29 PM
this happened to me as i didnt have snorkle and wat seemd to be a puddle was actually a big hole i took glo plugs out disconected turbo from intercooler wound it over squirt goes all the h2o and i wd 40 it and cranked it several times leaving injecters on as it pumped diesel int cylinders and expeld all fuids .
i then replaced glo plugs left tubo disconected from intercooler and started engine as i aloud it to idle a few minutes i reved it a few times to expel the h2o from turbo once i done that hooked everything back up and away it went

BossGQ
29th March 2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah i decided not to leave it till saturday, and yeah i took out the whole intake system and dried it out, then took out the glow plugs and cranked the engine over a few times and got all the water out, now just gotta do the clutch. Is it worth checking my gear box and transfer for water ingress, i've only got diff breathers

the ferret
29th March 2012, 05:50 PM
Yep. it would pay to check G/box oils for sure.
Cheers, the ferret.

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 12:59 PM
Would definitely pay to check oils even drop and change them (cheap insurance). With having water in the motor i would also go and get a compression check just to be sure there hasnt been any other damage.

BossGQ
31st March 2012, 04:13 PM
i'm having trouble replacing the clutch fork rubber boot, you guys got any ideas?

BossGQ
1st April 2012, 09:18 AM
don't worry guys got it sorted, thanks for the help!

Bloodyaussie
1st April 2012, 09:34 AM
So were there any signs of water in the gear box or transfer case????
The only thing besides diff lockers mine does not have is diff or gear box breathers and I did a lot of water 4 weeks ago.

BossGQ
1st April 2012, 03:15 PM
nah mate it was all good, changed engine gearbox and transfer oils, there was no sign of any contamination in any of them, got diff breathers so didn't bother with them. But i would DEFINATELY check yours just to be on the safe side, if you don't it could cost a fortune in repairs down the track.

megatexture
1st April 2012, 09:46 PM
FYI be careful getting car services the tools at Nissan put our air filter housing lid back on but during the service the seal on the lid must have fallen off and they just put it back in all twisted,its not something u look at realy. i did a water crossing a few weeks later and had 2cm of water in the inbox and filter was soaked.
Just thought it may be worth a mention I’ve replaced the seal and silicone it in so it isn’t going to coming out now!

i did the glow plug and metho trick then dumped oil and filters all good.

the ferret
1st April 2012, 09:51 PM
FYI be careful getting car services the tools at Nissan put our air filter housing lid back on but during the service the seal on the lid must have fallen off and they just put it back in all twisted,its not something u look at realy. i did a water crossing a few weeks later and had 2cm of water in the inbox and filter was soaked.
Just thought it may be worth a mention I’ve replaced the seal and silicone it in so it isn’t going to coming out now!

i did the glow plug and metho trick then dumped oil and filters all good.

Did ya go back to the dealer and give em what for, that's not good enough sorry.
Cheers, the ferret.

megatexture
2nd April 2012, 07:54 PM
should but the ppl at the counter arnt the idiot that would have done it so id be abuseing the the wrong person my rig will be out of warranty soon its funny how im looking forward to that.