PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle vibration

Simon
27th March 2012, 11:27 AM
Guys,

Have checked through and not found an answer for this and wondering if someone else has had this problem before.

I have had my wheels balanced and am happy that they are okay. On the freeway at 110 the rear axle starts to vibrate and causes the rear wheels to bounce for about 2 minutes then it will stop and i can go up to 130 without any vibration for about 2 or 3 minutes then it comes back and I have to slow down to about 106km.hr to avoid the vibration until it passes again.

Anyone here had that problem? Could it be simply the shockies?

Have checked the wheel bearings and they are okay.

The centre drum brake appears to grab the drum slightly in one spot so i'm getting new shoes and will get that machined out...

Any thoughts guys? Thanks

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2012, 12:19 PM
Maybe an out of round tyre mate?? Very strange

Bigrig
27th March 2012, 04:38 PM
Rear shock/shocks??

nissannewby
27th March 2012, 07:15 PM
Tail shaft could be out of balance

AB
27th March 2012, 08:16 PM
What size tyres and lift are you running also mate?

Benno7
27th March 2012, 08:40 PM
How are your tail shaft uni's ? Try swapping the rear wheels to the front and check your shocks for any damage.

Deevo
29th March 2012, 04:58 PM
First thoughts are an out-of-round tyre. Swap the rear wheels to the front (or borrow another pair) and see if the problem goes to the steering wheel. Next check the shockies and all the rubber bushes in the control arms. Also check that the pinion shaft and nut aren't loose, that the tailshaft bearings aren't flogged or seized, the flange nuts loose or that the 2 halves of the tailshaft are aligned correctly. Deevo

Killametre
29th March 2012, 08:32 PM
I have had my new tyres ballanced three times by one of the biggest tyre chains in the country because of vibration only to take it somwhere else for them to tell me that thay wont ballance my tyres because they are not round. moral of the story is some dude (normally on parole) can ballance your tyres ond they will come up 00 on the machine but if they aint round it counts for sh-t

so make sure they check

cheers Andrew

Kelvinator
1st April 2012, 12:17 AM
Check panhard rod bushes, had that before, also check if its bent. Makes the strangest vibration at times. But i'd mainly check your driveshaft being that intermittent, if youve ever watched a washing machine vibrate like crazy then come good then vibrate again while the load is of centre, thats what a buggered tailshaft/unis acts like. Also my other immediate thought was brakes so your could be onto it there. And you can check for out of round tyres by jacking the wheel a mil off the ground on a flat floor and spinning it. if it contacts or the gap widens you may have an issue.
Hope that helps dude

Robo
1st April 2012, 11:12 AM
If your tyres have gone out of round very good chance, your rims will also be out of round.
Especially so if on rear end as they do the least work.
When you try Kelvinator's advice set up a jig beside rim to also check for rim movement.
Bend up a coat hanger straighten hook to become a pointer and weight it down beside rim might be the go

Maybe tyres Out of round tyres giving worn shocks a hard time if ya follow.
I agree other possibilities could be at play here also, uni joints etc.
let us all know how ya go.

Simon
4th April 2012, 12:18 PM
Sorted out... The problem was actually simple in the end... Horrible horrible Australian workman ship was to blame.

Although the tyres had being balanced i took them to another place and had them put on a new machine.

They were both out by about 90 grams a wheel... I suspect their out of balance aligned occasionally as i went around corners on the freeway etc and this threw the whole axle out...

A good balance all around fixed the issue.

Thanks for the help guys.

cliff
4th April 2012, 02:46 PM
Make sure your drive shaft is aligned properly!

Robo
5th April 2012, 04:39 AM
Wth 90 grams is alot to be out !!