PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems 98GU 2.8td??

slingshot
27th March 2012, 04:15 AM
In the last couple of weeks ive started to experience slight problems with starting my old lady, especially after a few hours of the engine being off(e.g. Mornings), what I did notice that it seems to be directly connected to engine temp.
Any ideas?
Thanks guys

nissannewby
27th March 2012, 04:18 AM
Glow plugs could be on there way out. Have you tried glowing it a couple of times before starting (key from acc to ign a few times until glow lamp goes out)

Benno7
27th March 2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah I would start with the glow plugs. From memory the glow plugs are quite expensive for the 2.8 and the front 3 and back 3 are different.
When I had my 2.8 I put the td42 glow plugs in and disconected the std glow plug system and put a redarc glow system(in a gq).

slingshot
28th March 2012, 02:45 AM
Thanks for your replies boys!!
Had a go at 'double glowing' which doesn't seem to work because once the plugs heat up they don't glow again till they are cooled down...
Will go and hunt a set of glow plugs down coz I know one cold morning in winter I'll be stuck,
Thanks heaps for your help!

Ian2011
29th March 2012, 06:29 PM
Does it blow excessive amounts of smoke when it finally starts up, not so long back I had a similar issue. This was solved by changing an adapter plate on the side of the fuel pump, new plate has a step where the original was flat. Nissan dealers have the part in stock if this is your problem. Solved the start issues with mine and had easy starts right up to the point where the crank pulley let go.

Good luck

slingshot
30th March 2012, 02:27 AM
@ian yeah mate blows heaps of smoke!!
Handy hint thanks mate

patrol2.8
30th March 2012, 11:14 PM
have a look here i had starting problems and did the fix mentioned above posted up pics and a general guide of how to fit http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7013-Gu-2.8-hot-start-issue/page2ide of how to fit it

wildgu6
30th March 2012, 11:38 PM
Had a similar prob with my 2.8,
Try letting it glow until airbag light goes out, worked for me. I think the glo time should be about 8-10 secs.
Worth a try if it saves you some $$$

dragonms
31st March 2012, 12:06 PM
Hey bud I had the same problem with my patrol. Turned out to be Glow Plugs...

dragonms
31st March 2012, 12:07 PM
Oh they can be had cheap from ebay too or any good local auto shop. GL

Fletch74
31st March 2012, 09:57 PM
I have had the same problem for the last few months hard to start on hot starts heaps of smoke once i get it going Patrol2.8 thanks for the pics i will be looking for a part tomorrow

Haydog Havoc
31st March 2012, 11:40 PM
Had this happening on a rd28 i worked on once checked all the usual timing glow plugs etc, Found out there is a plate on the injector pump that becomes pitted after awhile and fuelling goes all to shit especially when engine is cold, and just wont start properly. Talk to some reputable diesel injector place they should know what im talking about and point you in the right direction.

patrol2.8
1st April 2012, 01:58 PM
Fletch no problems nissan have the parts cost about 45.00 very easy job to do

Fletch74
6th April 2012, 11:51 AM
Hey Patrol2.8 i got the part here in Canberra it cost me $75 just finished changing it and the old plate was pitted and had 2 ring marks from the o ring. Have started it up a few times and problem solved! its running like a dream so thanks for the advice and putting up the pictures. Next project is a 3'' exhaust.....

patrol2.8
6th April 2012, 02:08 PM
Fletch not a problem glad its fixed did you get the parts from nissan? and if you think its running good now wait till you get that 3'' exhaust on

the ferret
6th April 2012, 02:23 PM
I just got the part from Nizzbits, $45 to my door, can't complain about the service Garry provides.
Cheers, the ferret.

Fletch74
6th April 2012, 02:58 PM
yeah i did get it from nissan, going to get the 3'' exhaust next week. have you seen the one on ebay? do you know if they are any good?

oilburner98
6th April 2012, 03:06 PM
I had a similar thing going on with my 98 2.8. thought it might be the glow plugs, but the battery was on the way out and i replaced it with a used yellow top AGM of 700+ CCA that I had and POW! it starts like a new one.

patrol2.8
9th April 2012, 09:48 AM
Fletch not sure about the ones on ebay as long as there from a decent exhaust dealer should be ok if i hadnt come across the gompany who did mine i probably would of bought one from ebay although my son is a boiler maker and i didnt even think that he could of made it up for me even cheaper he just bought all the pipe etc for his navara 2.5 inch has cost him 120.00 all up