PDA

View Full Version : GU- Hand Throttle

Rob's DX
26th March 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi All,
When I learnt to drive it was in my dad's 1980 MQ, then his, before becoming my, 1983MQ. One of the best things I think I learnt is to use was the hand throttle on steep hill climbs....but the GU can't do it.
My history is in automotive tool repair and eventually design. We did things like OBDII scan tools, engine gas analysis etc etc. So I'm going to have a go at building a hand throttle.
Does anyone know where I might be able to get m hands on a stuffed throttle pedal assembly?? I understand that they wear in one place, start to cause miss fire and the only fix is for replacement. I'd use mine out of the DX but if I stuff it there's no way to get to work.
If I can get my hands on a pedal assembly a couple of mates and I are going to attempt to reverse engineer the electronic section and design a hand throttle to go in the dash. This will be for off road use only......of course. We intend on putting a couple of features like, leave your foot on the brake for more than 5 sec’s and it will shut off etc. So to hear peoples thoughts about this project would be great.
Cheers
Rob

taslucas
26th March 2012, 05:15 PM
Hi rob, sounds like a good idea there mate. I reckon the local wreckers would be the best place for a peddle assembly.
Some pics of the build up would be interesting too

Goodluck:)

tappn it

deleonmaximo
2nd May 2012, 01:56 PM
I think that is crazy, but successful friend. the whole head is an idea and if you can get something done there., success

Rob's DX
14th June 2012, 10:25 PM
I finally got my password working again so though I would update you all on the hand throttle idea.
We are now talking to the ecu and can emulate the throttle. i.e. we can rev the engine up and down with the laptop plugged into the OBD2 port. Now for the fun stuff. We need to design some hardware and safety systems to match.
Cheers
Rob