PDA

View Full Version : max roof weight

tracemul7
26th March 2012, 11:56 AM
Hey All,

Can anyone tell me where to find the info about the maximum roof weight as follows:
97 Nissan Patrol GQ II 2.8TD
4 x Rhino bars (heavy duty)
2.4m x 1.2m Rhino alloy roof tray

We're not going to fill it to the max weight ... I just want to make sure that we don't over-do it.

Also, on this note ... anyone want to swap 8 x RL210 gutter mounts for rhino bars for 8 x RL110 gutter mounts. Basically we have 8 legs that are the tall ones, but could do with lowering the bars/tray closer to the roof with the shorter legs (we have 210mm, but want 110mm) ... if that makes sense?

Ta, Trace

the evil twin
26th March 2012, 04:05 PM
What a coincidence...

We had the techo from Rhino Racks at our last Club Meeting. Max roof load on that config straight from the horses mouth so to speak is 100Kg and according to him that includes the rack so about 70 Kg left for gear.

The height of the mounts makes no difference to loading.

Certainly raised a few eyebrows as we all thought it would be significantly more.

tracemul7
26th March 2012, 05:16 PM
What a coincidence...

We had the techo from Rhino Racks at our last Club Meeting. Max roof load on that config straight from the horses mouth so to speak is 100Kg and according to him that includes the rack so about 70 Kg left for gear.

The height of the mounts makes no difference to loading.

Certainly raised a few eyebrows as we all thought it would be significantly more.

Yes i would have thought it alot more ... as each bar says max load 150Kg!

I just called our local roof rack place, and they said it's 150kg because that's the maximum that Nissan will cover their gutters for. So doesnt matter if you have 2 racks or 4. But he still reckons you can put more in there, especially on the large tray that we have with 4 racks.

So basically it seems the bars themselves can take 150Kg each .... so potentially 600Kg across our 4 bars ... but our gutters would collapse ...... and i think i'd have to find alot of stuff to add up to 600Kg lol!

So i'll be sticking under 100Kg i reckon :)

bordertech
31st March 2012, 10:30 PM
GQ's are 100kg per side, including the weight of the rack. It's a lot of weight to have up that high though but no one is recommending you can load it up to that. It's just Nissan saying it will take the weight, doesn't mean you should.