PDA

View Full Version : melted glow rail cap ..sdF@#$ Gah!

Radmobile
25th March 2012, 03:37 PM
Hey guys, ok! so are plugs meant to turn themselves off after a few minutes? i think mine are staying on... after a nearly non start i hooked up 12 volts and found my plugs stopped working. the 12v supply lead to the glow rail/ribbon was mealted and corroded, i cleaned him up and et viola!

however... the plugs are meant to turn off right?

is this controlled via ecu or a relay?

...this site is worth more than any mechanic ..:) thanks guys!

nissannewby
25th March 2012, 03:55 PM
there is a relay under the panel next to your battery. And there is usually a timer behind the kick panel to the right of your accelerator pedal

Yendor
25th March 2012, 04:15 PM
Yes the glow plugs should turn off after a certain period of time.

This depends on what model and engine you have.

All glows plug are powered by a relay.

Some models the relay is switched on by a glow plug control unit and others it is controlled by the ECU.

Parra
25th March 2012, 04:17 PM
Hey mate. Check out your relay to see if it is stuck open. I just pulled mine apart to find it welded together causing the plugs to stay on. Good luck!

Radmobile
25th March 2012, 04:44 PM
great ill check those now! she definatly starts easier !! haha

its an 99 rd28 turbo deiesel. ill check the manual - anyone know off hand which one it is? glow control, ecu or relay?

that would be the only reason she melted the plug cap?

cheers!

Yendor
25th March 2012, 05:04 PM
On a GU 2.8 diesel the glow plugs are switched on by a glow plug relay that is controlled by the ECU.

You more then likely had a bad/loose connection that caused this "12v supply lead to the glow rail/ribbon was mealted and corroded"

That you fixed by doing this "i cleaned him up and et viola"

It may pay to check the resistance of each glow plug, just to make sure they are ok.

If you have one that is open circuit, I would replace all of them

Radmobile
25th March 2012, 05:26 PM
when you say open circuit do you mean theres no resistance between the two poles of the glow plug ?

Yendor
25th March 2012, 05:49 PM
You will need to remove the rail (busbar) that links the glow plugs.

Then measure the resistance between the centre of the glow plugs (where the rail was connected) and the body (where it screws into the head).

If one or more is open circuit (no resistance) then I recommend you replace all of them.

This wouldn't be the of cause your current problem, but it will cause starting problems in the colder months.

Radmobile
25th March 2012, 06:03 PM
sweet, thanks ! ill check them now