PDA

View Full Version : Q, for all fabricators.

GQ snail
25th March 2012, 12:20 PM
I am looking at making my own roof racks, I want to buy all material myself and weld it up, however I want A metal frame with aluminium security mesh as top. I have been told, and researched that these to metals can not be welded. Is this 1 -> True or false 2 -> Is there a way I can join join them if welding not an option?

Cheers

growler2058
25th March 2012, 02:06 PM
Ali melts at a low temp and steel at a much higher therefor welding probably isnt an option

the ferret
25th March 2012, 02:23 PM
Nup, ya can't weld ally to steel, end of story.
If you want to make the rack using steel you will need to bolt the mesh on.
Cheers, the ferret.

macca86
25th March 2012, 02:35 PM
as the ferret said bolt or rivet also steel to aluminium will cause corrosion as the two metal react with each other to form oxides you'd need to have rubber packers between the two different metals. getting a sheet of wire mesh would be the go still light and strong and can weld it to the steel 50 x 50 or 100 x 50 squares with 3 mm wire. Order from a steel merchant to cut costs like steel force onesteel vulcan or anyone else. 32 x32 x 3 shs or 40 od pipe or similar would be the size you need

The Tank
25th March 2012, 04:03 PM
If you are going to use expanded steel mesh as a floor make sure you weld every single piece around the perimeter or add an edge cap of some sort to prevent it ripping the sh!t out of any thing that comes into contact with it, swags, tents, tarps etc.. I've seen tool cages covered in this cause litterally thousands of dollars worth of damage. Use welded square mesh to be safe.

GQ snail
25th March 2012, 05:28 PM
as the ferret said bolt or rivet also steel to aluminium will cause corrosion as the two metal react with each other to form oxides you'd need to have rubber packers between the two different metals. getting a sheet of wire mesh would be the go still light and strong and can weld it to the steel 50 x 50 or 100 x 50 squares with 3 mm wire. Order from a steel merchant to cut costs like steel force onesteel vulcan or anyone else. 32 x32 x 3 shs or 40 od pipe or similar would be the size you need

Cheers,
was thinking that wire mesh was going to be go, cheers for sizes, was wondering what would be best.

macca86
25th March 2012, 08:06 PM
you don't neet too big a gear as your roof is rated to carry a certain weight not sure maybe someone can tell you but that weight has to be your rack and luggage combined try keep the weight down

Clunk
25th March 2012, 08:17 PM
you don't neet too big a gear as your roof is rated to carry a certain weight not sure maybe someone can tell you but that weight has to be your rack and luggage combined try keep the weight down

I believe the roof is rated to carry 110 Kg max