PDA

View Full Version : oil in intercooler

FullFlxd
25th March 2012, 01:09 PM
Hey guys,

Yesterday I installed the exhaust on the 09 patrol. Whilst doing that I had to take the pipe off that goes from turbo to intercooler. I found a fair bit of oil in there. I remember reading something about it but can't find it when doing a search.

Can someone please remind me what the cause is and possible fixes??? Also after driving around a bit testing the difference I noticed a little bit of oil sitting at the tip of the exhaust (definately engine oil mix with exhaust soot) is that ok or is the turbo playing up??

Cheers

P.S does anybody know whether patrol4x4 forums are de-bugged yet???
(not that I don't like this forum)

97_gq_lwb
25th March 2012, 01:22 PM
Check the breather and inlet pre turbo for oil.
If it is oily a catch can on the breather line is a solution.
If that is oil free i would be looking at the turbo itself could have a bad seal or be worn to the point oil is escaping through a seal.

FullFlxd
25th March 2012, 01:30 PM
Cool I'll check that out

Does anyone have pics of where to block egr on the crd's? I had a look but couldn't figure it out. I think it throws codes but i was thinking partial block??

By the way the trol has on done 27,000Km's

97_gq_lwb
25th March 2012, 01:37 PM
Damn low k's is it out of warranty
?

FullFlxd
25th March 2012, 01:41 PM
yes it is, and im not taking it to Nissan any more services don't trust them! It just costs me money when they try to find what the problems are while telling me they don;t know

boots
25th March 2012, 10:46 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?597-Checking-and-cleaning-MAF-sensors . Have a read of this post , you will have to do it if youve got oil in your intake .

FullFlxd
25th March 2012, 11:46 PM
the MAF in the troll is right after the air box not after where the breather connects to the pipe , thus has no oil or soot on it at all. I checked it earlier.

I didi notice something interesting and that is the Air box has a small hole in the base which opens the box to water intake if you were to do a river crossing. In my case mud last weekend. Do any of you with have this??

Rumcajs
27th March 2012, 07:57 PM
If it (turbo) was pouring oil in to exhaust it would be smokey. You've mentioned exhaust fitment it is quite possible residual oil from the new exhaust or installation perhaps. Oil in the intercooler is probably from the CCV (Closed Crankcase Ventilation) breather it is a typical find on all turbo diesels which don't have the oil separator (so called catch can) fitted. Typical bloody car manufacturers "cheap skating"!
Fit one ASAP.
The small hole on the base of the airbox is a drain/vent hole and it is on every unit. Feel free to work out an alternative for it but blocking it outright is also not the smartest thing.
Cheers

JoseM
28th March 2012, 03:32 AM
Im not much of a reader, but I take it we are talking about a ZD30. Overboosting is very common on this engine.
You can add an Oil/Air Separator or Catch Can to reduce the amount of crankcase blow-by oil that enters the intake system and contaminates the MAF sensorcan, a turbo timmer would be nice too.
Also, to be sure, chk your compression on each cyl, specially #3 and #4 to make sure no other problems are soon to come.
Forgot to mention that adding a manual boost controller would be nice, toghether with pyro and boost gauges. AME are good an dependable...

teleman
30th March 2012, 08:26 PM
Could not be the intercooler itself? Mine is cactus at the moment. It is very dirty with what is obviously oils and suit and other shit. My mechanic tells me its a problem that will defiantly happen on 3L.

dragonms
31st March 2012, 03:21 PM
Hey bud I just installed a 3" exhaust on my patrol last nite and after driving it around for a few mins I had oil sitting on the tip of the exhaust. It's nothing to worry about. This oil is just the thin oil they (exhaust manufacturers) spray on their components to stop them from rusting. Obivsouly at high temperatures the oil becomes viscous and drains out the exhaust. No biggie.

dragonms
31st March 2012, 03:24 PM
Teleman, I also just replaced my intercooler with a ASE one (great product) as my factory one had holes and was contaminated with oil. Took the cooler off and plugged the ends, put in bath tub (while the missus was out) and whoa! Three leaks. Can't repair these tubes either as they are 0.6mm thick. Aftermarket unit so much bigger and efficient.

FullFlxd
2nd April 2012, 11:03 PM
Rumcajs
Oil catch can on the way and will clean the intercooler out once can s installed. But that tiny breather hole in the air box is annoying, if I shouldn't block it what else can be done??? I went through 1 flippin' mud hole and the air filter was covered and heavy at that. heaps came through. hmmm will have a think.

JoseM,
Im not worried about Overboosting have run the exhaust for a couple of weeks, couple of long runs and some beach play and the boost is sitting beautifully around 13-15psi. Thus I'm not worried about fitting manual boost controller untill something does occur. However, I do have the pyro bung and the pyrometer waiting to be installed. Just waiting on boost gauge and pillar pod.

Whilst the intercooler is working im not fussed in changing it. Wife is still off work due to the little Man, so keen on keeping funds at bay in the pocket. However, a Chip It module is in sight when she is not looking.

Im also having trouble figuring where to block the egr on this thing, it doesn't look the same as the pics in the block egr threads. Will keep researching though, might help.

FullFlxd
2nd April 2012, 11:05 PM
Teleman, I also just replaced my intercooler with a ASE one (great product) as my factory one had holes and was contaminated with oil. Took the cooler off and plugged the ends, put in bath tub (while the missus was out) and whoa! Three leaks. Can't repair these tubes either as they are 0.6mm thick. Aftermarket unit so much bigger and efficient.

I am keen on the Cross Country ones with a fan but liek the other post says funds are at critical levels. and I'd rather grab sliders before IC exchange.

One other question HOW TO STOP DEBRIS FLYING INTO BONNET SCOOT??? the IC is copping a beating! :~(

97_gq_lwb
3rd April 2012, 08:14 AM
I was thinking about fitting a hose and a one way valve to the little hole in the airbox on mine

Rumcajs
4th April 2012, 09:06 AM
ZD30 CrD have much better boost control than the previous Di so manual controller is not strictly necessary. E*R shim is/can be problematic on CrD unit. If you are planing to get Chip it module, they supply the shim as well including the instructions. Do it at the intake manifold side.
Cheers

oilburner98
6th April 2012, 04:52 PM
how much for the intercooler?
I have been told that some radiator places can do a swap-out with a reco

Lieney
31st May 2012, 08:54 PM
I had same prob started 2 weeks ago. Checked everything i could think of & tracked it to turbo compressor seal. It's a throw-away and cost me $1300 or so. Ran it and it still blew smoke. Found my catch can was causing a slight restriction, causing pressure build up in crank case, that forced oil out the turbo compressor and through the exhaust. Turbo was also on it's way out. I will look at another catch can but I'd be checking as per previous posts first. Turbo, & especially heat shield is a pain to remove.

BRETT ROSEWORN
1st June 2012, 09:00 AM
i had the same thing i a put a catch can on all good now