PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing adjustment

chester
24th March 2012, 11:20 PM
Did a search but could'nt find anything,ive put new front wheel bearings in and the manual say's to use a tension wrench for the adjusting nut,but i don't have one.
So i did them up tight then back the nut off,spun the rotor did them back up till it just took up on the bearing and then gave it less the 1/4 of a turn.
The rotor spins fairly easy and there does'nt feel to be much drag,is this right or have i done it wrong.

cheers

Silver
25th March 2012, 12:28 AM
G'day Chester,

You've got enough posts to download the manual - the relevant bit is FA page 7 or thereabouts, I looked it up for another forumite and copied it yesterday. They somehow were having the machinery lock up when the two lock screws were installed, or two hub bolts, not sure.

The manual requires a spring balance to test bearing preload.

I use that way to check, but set tension another way. Since I am a mug, and am not 10000000% sure I have been taught correctly, I'd rather sit tight and wait for one of the gurus to come along.

I reckon if you are sure everything is assembled in the right order, and has bedded in properly (the reason for doing the nut up so tight, then releasing it), and it is a smidgin tighter than the point when movement disappeared, you'd have to be in the ball park. And from your description, you would be spot on, or close to it

Just check from time to time to see how hot the hub is, not forgetting that brake heat will also find its way to the hub. Check the wheel nuts while you are at it.