PDA

View Full Version : themostat...??????

GlenG
24th March 2012, 03:37 PM
hi there
we are having trobles with our Gu ..it keeps over heating ..and i think its the themostat not working ..BUT i cant find it ..lol can anyone please tell me where it is...
not driving it very much atm because if this problem. or is the turbo or something else..
please help

Sir Roofy
24th March 2012, 03:40 PM
would help if we new what sort of motor were
talking about,diesel petrol

97_gq_lwb
24th March 2012, 04:01 PM
Maybe someone has removed it that will cause most engines these days to overheat.
And when you buy a new one buy genuine and save the headaches involved with aftermarket junk.

GlenG
24th March 2012, 04:16 PM
sorry ... nissan patrol 2000 turbo diesel Gu zd30.....there should be one in there as its never done this before and no one has taken it out as we havent had any troubles with it for anyone to have taken anything out..

Clunk
24th March 2012, 04:18 PM
As roofy said, would help to know which engine you had......... But I think in all cases the top thick hose that goes from the radiator and leads to the thermostat housing, 3 bolts hold that down, top comes off and thermostat sits in there. Just remember to get a new gasket as well if you're changing it youself.

Clunk
24th March 2012, 04:26 PM
Maybe someone has removed it that will cause most engines these days to overheat.
And when you buy a new one buy genuine and save the headaches involved with aftermarket junk.

I always thought that if you took the thermostat out, there would be a constant flow of water to keep the engine cool........... Sorry I'm not mechically minded and don't fully understand the workings

growler2058
24th March 2012, 05:00 PM
Ahhh mr clunk the problem is the water doesn't get time to stay in the radiator and "cool" down. It's ok for w temp fix if ya thermostats stuffed/stuck closed buts only a temp fix (look a funny temp hahahahahahahahaha )

Tappin N Crappin

Clunk
24th March 2012, 05:08 PM
Ahhh mr clunk the problem is the water doesn't get time to stay in the radiator and "cool" down. It's ok for w temp fix if ya thermostats stuffed/stuck closed buts only a temp fix (look a funny temp hahahahahahahahaha )

Tappin N Crappin

ahhhh now I understand......... cheers big ears

97_gq_lwb
24th March 2012, 06:08 PM
On some the coolant circulates in the engine only until the thermostat opens and diverts it through to the radiator.
When removed it circulates through the engine only a common stuff up by old bush mechanics.

Sir Roofy
24th March 2012, 06:58 PM

have a look here twobolts holding it on

AB
25th March 2012, 09:29 AM
x2 on using genuine thermostat as well.

I was in a rush and bought a Repco one before a trip and it played up big time. Sometimes jammed and didn't open and they also opened up at 80 degrees rather then the standard 76.5 on a GQ TD42 and I had a lot of overheating issues. Never had that with the original thermostat so go the genuine!

Also with a thermostat stuck open or not having one can cause problems with your engine not reaching It's ideal running temp too.

GlenG
25th March 2012, 02:44 PM
hi guys..its GlenG's wife here (((waves)))
he is going mad ...he has gone to shop and was given a thermostat for the patrol and its round shape and the part that u have told us to take off is a square shape hole ..it the same in your pic Roofy..so how does a round thing go in to a square hole..
please help as he is sooooo pissed off atm...

GlenG
25th March 2012, 04:00 PM
oh just found out that the patrol is a 2001 nissan turbo Gu zd30 ...is the thermostat housing is a different spot in the motor..

Clunk
25th March 2012, 07:25 PM
oh just found out that the patrol is a 2001 nissan turbo Gu zd30 ...is the thermostat housing is a different spot in the motor..

sorry mate cant help ya, I have a petrol GQ, hopefully one of the GU ZD30 owners will be on soon to help

Fity
26th March 2012, 12:33 PM
I was flicking through the ZD30 manual and remembered this thread.

The thermostat is located where the bottom radiator hose enters the rear of the front gear case. There is an alloy section that the rubber hose attaches to. Hope this helps

cairnsGU
26th March 2012, 04:13 PM
Thermostat is located on the passenger side of motor

Smythe
26th April 2012, 06:32 PM
I think the thermostat might be in the lower hose where the connection bolts to the motor

Tymeup
26th April 2012, 11:13 PM
G'day all,

Don't mean to hijack but........I'm gonna hijack for a sec. Do thermostats travel well as spares? As in, thrown in a box with all your other spare bit n' pieces.

Cheers.

Ty.

tempestv8
30th April 2012, 05:53 PM
Thermostats will travel well in the box where they came in.

Since the thermostat has been fingered here as the culprit, it might also pay to inspect the radiator fan as it also plays a very important role in cooling the engine.

Is the overheating situation occuring when the engine is idling in stop start traffic? Or is it overheating when on the highway?

If the former, then the radiator fan's viscous coupling needs to be inspected to see if it is engaging properly when things are getting hot under the hood.

fat paddy
3rd May 2012, 07:21 AM
I saw the photo further up and screamed no!!!!! Wrong side. Any way I hope it all fixed and working for you