PDA

View Full Version : Moving on to a family car!

GQUTERUS
24th March 2012, 01:51 PM
Hi guys, we've just received the news that we're going to be parents for the first time. With that news comes exciting new times. I'll be selling the ute and my 180sx, we shall be in need of a replacement more family orientated.

What i would like is a tourer. I'll be sticking with the patrol's, not sure on either a GQ, or GU.

I would like to get something already setup, but i can work from the base up. Has to be turbo Diesel. I'm looking in the price range around 15k but if it's worth it could push a little higher.

I have a few questions:

What to avoid? Is there any GU year models that i shouldn't touch? The 3ltr has a bad name for itself, is this common?

The 2.8L can this motor perform, by perform i would like to hold gears up hills?

I appreciate any help you can give, i'm all sorts of confused and lost at this time :)

Kind regards, Les.

Tweakedoffroad
24th March 2012, 02:01 PM
Hey mate congratulations on the news

hekarewe
24th March 2012, 02:39 PM
congrats on the good news welcome to parent hood and insanity,,,,, you will get that from your kids trust me i know lol

the GU's dont touch a 2.8 lt as you will find it very under power.

the 3.0lt diesel before about july 03 backwards are the hand grenades!! late 03 on wards are ok there are anti hand grenade kits you can get for them all i have done to mine is block off the egr valve, easy done

the 4.2lt hmmmmmm if IF you can find a good one that has not had the guts flogged out of it with reasonable milage grab it quick it wont last long

macca86
24th March 2012, 04:07 PM
congrats on the baby news. 15G will get you a gq with all the good bits and a 4.2td.
GU you'll be in the 2.8 price range they are pretty good if looked after in most peoples eyes under powered but if you drive it in it's power band it will get the job done just not in a hurry. 4.5 petrols are in this price range too.
20G will get you a 3ltr past the genade era
Most for those prices will have spotties bars radios some lift or draws just comes to personal choice what you want

growler2058
24th March 2012, 04:18 PM
Congratulations mate

Tappin N Crappin

LittleJohn
24th March 2012, 04:46 PM
Congratulations dude.

Wrappin N Souvlakin

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2012, 06:47 PM
Congratz 2 u and missus mate, fun times ahead

nissannewby
24th March 2012, 08:27 PM
Congrats mate well done. Could you just put a bench seat in (if it doesnt already have one) and the keep the ute lol I would be looking for a 4.2 you have a few months so keep keen and one will come around in your price range how you want it.

AB
25th March 2012, 08:39 AM
Congratulations mate, good times ahead!!!

Yeah pretty much for 15k I would be getting a well looked after GQ LWB wagon TD42 and with the money saved decking it out with all the touring goodies!!!

Dhuck
25th March 2012, 08:44 AM
Congrats mate. As long as the new beast goes as well as the ute.

Woof
25th March 2012, 06:47 PM
Congratulations on the great news mate, to you and your wife

taslucas
25th March 2012, 07:57 PM
Hi mate, Congratulations mate:)
I found this (in tas though).....http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/parklands/cars/nissan-patrol-1995-gq-rx-4-2l-diesel/1000357466

GQUTERUS
26th March 2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for everyone for the good wishes. I'm still undecided what to get but the information given has helped me narrow it down!

What is the issue with the 3.0ltr? I mate from work brought one and the Glow plugs snapped off and well he's up for a new engine. I thought it was a oil related issue?

A 4.2 GQ would be my prime pick, thanks Taslucas for the link. Shows what i can get value for money. Pitty it's across the Tasman :P

Tweakedoffroad
26th March 2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for everyone for the good wishes. I'm still undecided what to get but the information given has helped me narrow it down!

What is the issue with the 3.0ltr? I mate from work brought one and the Glow plugs snapped off and well he's up for a new engine. I thought it was a oil related issue?

A 4.2 GQ would be my prime pick, thanks Taslucas for the link. Shows what i can get value for money. Pitty it's across the Tasman :P
Could be used for the last non child road trip

taslucas
26th March 2012, 07:56 PM

As tweaked said....ROADTRIP!!
You can stay at mine. I'll even show you a few tracks where you can stretch its legs before heading back home! Lol

tappn it

Finly Owner
26th March 2012, 09:08 PM
Congrats on the good news! Hope all goes well with Mum and Bub. Good luck with the Patrol Hunt and the sell off.

Tim

GQUTERUS
27th March 2012, 06:57 PM
Roadtrip? I'm pushing you know what up hill just to get a couple of days off haha

Well after looking around, i think the 3.0L GU is out of the question. The amount of issues i've read they have has really scared me away. Which is disappointing because i LOVE the gu shape.

I still see a few 2.8's around, good nic good price. I was told under powered, is there any mods people usually do to make them a little more powerful? Boost increase ect

The 4.2L turbo diesel i would love in a GU but simply cannot afford it, the 4.2 in a GQ i can but finding one that has been treated right thats the problem.

The hunt continues, not to worry i won't be buying to May :)

Bigrig
27th March 2012, 07:07 PM
Congrats old mate!!!! Did we know that little secret when you came out wheeling?? lmao

Plenty of advice flowing mate, and whilst I have an opinion, at the end of the day it'll come down to budget, comfort (especially for Hayley and the bib), and what's available at the time.

Keep this a secret so the other members don't find out, but a later model GU is more comfy and well appointed, not too mention larger from prams and the like, so I'd be going down that path personally ... I bought one when my first arrived (3.0ltr 2004 model) and they are definitely (IMHO) a "nicer" family rig.

GQUTERUS
27th March 2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks mate! Na, we only found of out Sunday. I spent a day or two sulking over selling my toys LOL! That was soon turned to joy when i relised what we created. Not to mention i get a new(er) 4x4 :D

Is the Golden rule GU's are good 2004 onwards?

Also, my father in law has a 80 series with a turbo 1hz that is a freak and pulls like a train. Talk me out of even considering buying that haha

taslucas
27th March 2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks mate! Na, we only found of out Sunday. I spent a day or two sulking over selling my toys LOL! That was soon turned to joy when i relised what we created. Not to mention i get a new(er) 4x4 :D

Is the Golden rule GU's are good 2004 onwards?

Also, my father in law has a 80 series with a turbo 1hz that is a freak and pulls like a train. Talk me out of even considering buying that haha

buy the 80...........

OR stay part of this forum........

your choice man!!!!!!

LMAO
Im sure youll find a good buy in the next few weeks. Just get on the bay and the tree every morning, noon, and night!