PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust temps for gu 6 common rail 3.0

grimace
23rd March 2012, 09:42 PM
Just a question on what would be normal running temps for my 3l commonrail, she has a 2 3/4 beaudesert exhaust fitted which i might add has transformed her and i am very happy and would recommend it to anyone. Anyway getting back to the subject i just fitted an autometre pyro and have noticed that the temps were getting up to around 500 up hills, is this normal? If anyone can let me know that would be great and also i was the one that was having a surging issue for the last few months it turned out to be the steinbauer wiring harness was faulty! Just thought i would share that with those who are playing at home, cheers.......
Forgot tomention that i had the dump pipe ceramic coated, would this make any difference???

macca86
23rd March 2012, 10:37 PM
I have a 03 model di motor but my temps around town are 250 to 300 on the highway 300 to 350 normal flat highway and hitting 400 on long steady hills overtaking B doubles etc has gone as high as 450 once but never higher. 500 plus is getting too high just back off. I find dropping down to 4th helps temps. I have a safari d tronic chip in mine standard exhuast. ceramic coating helps engine bay temps so the exhuast heat travels out the pipe after the coating same as heat wrapping turbos etc

GRA.GU
24th March 2012, 08:49 AM
Grimace, I have an 07 model CRD all standard motor and exhaust. A mate with a DI consistently returns EGTs at least 100C lower than mine, and this would appear to be the case with them all [as confirmed by Macca above]. Under load in a CRD, 500C is not uncommon [high speed up hill]. Indeed cruising at say 110 on a long hill can see the temps go to 600 and no doubt beyond if you held onto it, but I usually back off about then. However I have seen others write that they just disregard their EGTs in those circumstances all the way to 650C, provided the temp is not maintained for long. They argue that there are so many CRDs driving without EGT gauges that Nissan must surely have taken this situation into account. I'm not so trusting, and anyway it's not an everyday situation for me, but I certainly wouldn't be too concerned at your temps.Hope this helps.

Sir Roofy
24th March 2012, 09:05 AM
I have an 02 model 3l di since i completed the nads
my temps run much the same as macca86

the evil twin
24th March 2012, 12:59 PM
Just a question on what would be normal running temps for my 3l commonrail, she has a 2 3/4 beaudesert exhaust fitted which i might add has transformed her and i am very happy and would recommend it to anyone. Anyway getting back to the subject i just fitted an autometre pyro and have noticed that the temps were getting up to around 500 up hills, is this normal? If anyone can let me know that would be great and also i was the one that was having a surging issue for the last few months it turned out to be the steinbauer wiring harness was faulty! Just thought i would share that with those who are playing at home, cheers.......
Forgot tomention that i had the dump pipe ceramic coated, would this make any difference???

A bit of care is needed comparing EGT's between vehicles due to sensor placement, however...

500 degrees under load is perfectly normal for a CRD on song under load (ask anyone with an EGT on a factory truck) and as others mention the CRD's run at significantly different EGT's than the Di's so can't be compared.

I have always allowed mine to operate up around 500 up hills etc IF the engine is up in the torque band and IMHO short peaks around 550 to 600 is also 'normal' in the CRD's.

grimace
24th March 2012, 01:30 PM
thanks to all that have had some imput into my question, i personally was not concerned about these temps as it was a steep hill and i was ringing its neck. i might also post some pics of my nads of which i am pretty proud of as i did the whole instal myself but the only thing i did not do was the fitting in the intercooler pipe guage for the boost which cost me $25 cheers.....