PDA

View Full Version : Water in diesel prevention

Maxhead
19th March 2012, 07:46 PM
Hey all, Just preparing for a trip up north and was thinking about putting in a water trap/separator in before the fuel filter .
I'm just after the water separator and not an extra filter as I've heard the extra filter can put too much strain on your pump...any thoughts?

I could go with Mr Funnel for an easy solution...http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

or a mate of mine showed me this Water Watch..http://www.coomadiesel.com.au/4087/Products/

or a Racor product of eBay...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RACOR-HIGHWAY-FUEL-WATER-SEPERATOR-230R10-/260507488204?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ca774cfcc#ht_1928wt_905

Anyone use any of these and are theyy worth it....I suppose for a few hundred bucks its piece of mind...

Sir Roofy
19th March 2012, 08:25 PM
I think if i had the choice id go with cooma diesel
at least talk to them if they are close to you

Maxhead
20th March 2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks Roofy, it looks like the better system around. I do like the funnel as it can be used between vehicles and easily taken out of the vehicle when sold...lol not that I'm thinking of selling just yet..HAHA

macca
20th March 2012, 07:53 AM
I think if i had the choice id go with cooma diesel
at least talk to them if they are close to you

Roofy is on the money there, they are good bits of gear. A mate has that system cost him heaps but its a whole lot dearer to fix a common rail after getting bad fuel.

We have one of those funnels they work really well, if a bit awkward. The "spout" is straight so a bit of hose is needed to get it into the filler neck.

A mate "tests" a servo if all clear after a few litres he takes it out, not so sure about that in some outback fuel suppliers.

We found it easier to use the funnel in a gerry can then tip it into the ute if we have any doubts.

We have a CAV filter with water trap, had no problems with it so far.

Macca

Sir Roofy
20th March 2012, 08:09 AM
roofy is on the money there, they are good bits of gear. A mate has that system cost him heaps but its a whole lot dearer to fix a common rail after getting bad fuel.

We have one of those funnels they work really well, if a bit awkward. The "spout" is straight so a bit of hose is needed to get it into the filler neck.

A mate "tests" a servo if all clear after a few litres he takes it out, not so sure about that in some outback fuel suppliers.

We found it easier to use the funnel in a gerry can then tip it into the ute if we have any doubts.

We have a cav filter with water trap, had no problems with it so far.

Macca

g,day macca ,i also like the funnel but in rohens case thought storing it in the wagon
maybe a bit off,also would put in the cav filter i have used them for years but not shaw about putting it in mine
3l di

macca
20th March 2012, 09:51 AM
g,day macca ,i also like the funnel but in rohens case thought storing it in the wagon
maybe a bit off,also would put in the cav filter i have used them for years but not shaw about putting it in mine
3l di

G'day Roofy, yeah the smell of fuel in the car is not nice thats for sure.
Need a sealed plastic box, it would be fairly big as those funnels are not small.

Macca

Maxhead
20th March 2012, 08:01 PM
G'day Roofy, yeah the smell of fuel in the car is not nice thats for sure.
Need a sealed plastic box, it would be fairly big as those funnels are not small.

Macca

Yeah, That's one thing I didn't even think of was the smell.....Hmmmm decisions decisions

teno45
30th March 2012, 11:12 AM
Hi Kris, which way did you end up going with this?

something I've been thinking about, being that a couple places we tend to go a lot, dont get huge amounts of business.

Has anyone got a quote from cooma diesel for their system?

Cheers, Teno.

Maxhead
30th March 2012, 11:25 AM
Hi Kris, which way did you end up going with this?

something I've been thinking about, being that a couple places we tend to go a lot, dont get huge amounts of business.

Has anyone got a quote from cooma diesel for their system?

Cheers, Teno.

Hey mate,

I'm thinking I might go and get the Water Watch when funds allow. Might as well do it properly.
Mate of mine just had his done at $800 fitted

janderson
6th May 2012, 07:13 PM
I have the Water Watch system, Very happy.