PDA

View Full Version : volt meter reading?

Barney Rubble
19th March 2012, 09:06 AM
Good morning peeps, i have just bought my first GQ and im loving it. But ive noticed when im driving it the volt meter is constantly reading at around 18volts. it has a new battery in it and everything else seems to work fine at this stage.
Should i be concerned and get it checked out?

Cheers,

Barney Rubble.

AB
19th March 2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Barney, have you got a multi meter? What's it reading direct off your battery.

Do that first mate and let us know.

It could be your regulator on your alternator overcharging but if it was a true 18v in your battery then it would look like a balloon by now and would of exploded by now.

How's the battery looking, are the sides all bellowed out?

I would have to say faulty gauge but let us know the above first mate.

Barney Rubble
19th March 2012, 09:19 AM
Will do that this afternoon AB, i will get a reading straight from the battery both when its running and not. and the battery is looking fine too.

nissannewby
19th March 2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah 18 is well excessive you would nearly get a rotten egg smell from the acid in the battery cooking. You should have around 14.3 or so

benmatters
4th April 2012, 02:20 PM
Yea I did not take any notice of my battery voltage until the day I was driving along and it near exploded had battery acid every where turned out to be the regulator inside the alternater cost me $12 to fix shold only be reading around 14 volts

Barney Rubble
10th April 2012, 08:28 PM
had to replace the alternater at a cost of $440. All good now.

nissannewby
10th April 2012, 08:37 PM
Thats a little steep. I'm surprised that someone could just change the regulator for you.

bar1135
11th April 2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah, normally it is just one of the diodes, you can buy them for really cheap and solder a new one in.

megatexture
12th April 2012, 05:43 PM
they say 14.2 is best charging range but depends on batt temp also have u got a decent dc-dc charger or just an isolator

bordertech
15th April 2012, 01:20 PM
Thats a little steep. I'm surprised that someone could just change the regulator for you.A new regulator assembly from Nissan is about $160 then labour on top (alternator has to be pulled out and pulled apart to fit it) So he was probably just as well off with a brand newy all round.