PDA

View Full Version : what are the rubber protectors that cover the chassis opening in the wheel arches

pocoaust
19th March 2012, 05:20 AM
guys, the rubber (Skirts) that cover the gap between the chassis and the body in the wheel arches.

What are they called, and can you get new ones?

Thanks
Paul

taslucas
19th March 2012, 06:49 AM
I havent seen a GQ that has them! lol. Not sure what they are called or if any patrols have them.

Bigrig
19th March 2012, 07:40 AM
Assume you could them mate, but must admit, never enquired with Mr Nissan. I'm missing one that I ripped off on purpose at Christmas when I was swapping my power steering box, so probably should replace it to keep mud out (a little bit anyway).

taslucas
19th March 2012, 07:55 AM
Ahhh, are you talking about the front? I was thinking of the back.

tappa slappn about

Sir Roofy
19th March 2012, 09:02 AM
there to stop crap from splashing into the motor like exhaust turbo burning mud

or crap getting on to fuel pump or electrics you should be able to make some

nissannewby
19th March 2012, 09:38 AM
just grab some rubber sheeting from clark rubber or bunnings cut to shape and attach with trim clips or tec screws

MudRunnerTD
19th March 2012, 09:52 AM
just grab some rubber sheeting from clark rubber or bunnings cut to shape and attach with trim clips or tec screws

X2 thats what i did too.

04OFF
19th March 2012, 10:10 AM
The Rubber Splash Gaurds, they rip very easy if you go through a lot of water crossings, mostly its always around the push in retainig clips they give way first, then after hanging/flapping in the breeze they tear.

This all happened to mine, i stuck mine all back together with Sikaflex, i also ran a bead of Sika around the whole outside edge where they meet the chassis or body, i paid much attention to the direction water will rush and try and rip the rubber when entering/crossing water.

You need to remove the rubbers, and wipe clean both surfaces with thinners (rubber and the body/chassis) for the best bond.

Even after about 20+ water crossings (deep enough to get the rubbers) they are still stuck perfect (even the tear joins)

pocoaust
19th March 2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks, mine are screwed, are there any patterns available?

gf0012-aust
19th March 2012, 06:15 PM
there to stop crap from splashing into the motor like exhaust turbo burning mud

or crap getting on to fuel pump or electrics you should be able to make some

actually, they're more about getting access to the power steering box on the RHS and getting access to the power steering pump and aircon compressor on the LHS.

thats why they're removable and able to be lifted up etc... to get long sockets in there from the wheel arches

if they're not there then you would get crap all over your engine, but they're rubber for access reasons. otherwise they'd be sheet metal and you'd need leprechauns to get into some of the bolts.

HammerBuilder
19th March 2012, 08:00 PM
Gotta just love them leprechauns hey....

Gilbert
31st March 2012, 05:02 AM
I just made some up for the ones that were missing on mine. But I like the leprechaun idea; they would be really handy - where do you get those? At the end of a rainbow?

bordertech
31st March 2012, 09:26 PM
Spot on gf0012-aust!

the evil twin
1st April 2012, 01:16 AM
snip...

they're rubber for access reasons. otherwise they'd be sheet metal and you'd need leprechauns to get into some of the bolts.

Actually they are rubber because the chassis and body move in relation to one another. If they were metal they would rip the mounting hardware to pieces.

An oft quoted reason that they are there is for air flow control same as the rubber strip near the radiator.

So doesn't matter much which of the reasons quoted are indeed correct, maybe they all are but any one if them is good reason to keep them in place and in reasonable nick.

Robo
3rd April 2012, 12:43 PM
Here mate.
TD 42 breather plug.
Guess same all models only pic I could find, check with nissan.
Cheers