PDA

View Full Version : When to lock Hubs

PT Paul
18th March 2012, 02:39 PM
Recently learnt/ heard that you can have the hubs on lock all the time! It even helps with lube! Any thoughts?

NissanGQ4.2
18th March 2012, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't and would not recommend it to anyone

But have also heard you can leave it locked without causing damage

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/hubs.html

macca86
18th March 2012, 02:51 PM
leave them free on the black stuff lock them when engaging 4wd and you can leave them locked and go back to 2H if on the beach to save some fuel but you can bind the axles on the black stuff if you leave them locked

PT Paul
18th March 2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks NissanGQ4.2 I thought it was a no no as well. But found it written in black and white. How can there be debate about weather it does any damage etc. Either it does or it doesn't.

PT Paul
18th March 2012, 03:01 PM
but if the front diff is an open diff and there is no driving power going to it how can it get bound

TimE
18th March 2012, 03:02 PM
You can have them locked on the tar so long as you are in two wheel drive (2H), else as mentioned above you will suffer axle wind up with the potential to stuff axles and/or gearbox and/or transfer case.

When hubs are locked in 2H you will hear more noise and you will use more fuel. (A hint for those using auto hubs is to reverse a few meters (in 2h) when finished fwding to ensure the auto hubs disengage).

Can't see the point in locking hubs in 2wd unless the black stuff is very short between dirt stretches.

PT Paul
18th March 2012, 03:08 PM
So it doesn't damage anything (in 2H) but may notice increase in fuel consumption and noise.

PT Paul
18th March 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys. I don't plan on driving to mexico locked but it's good to know I don't have to get dirty flippin' em back and forward on a dirty weekend.

the ferret
18th March 2012, 03:30 PM
It just means that your front diff will be turning when there is no need, more wear and tear on the crown wheel and pinion, the bearings and the front uni's and cv's. as well as more fuel.
Cheers, the ferret.

Bigrig
18th March 2012, 03:47 PM
I do it if I haven't been off road for a while - keeps the oil moving, gears oiled etc, but I don't leave them in though ...

spring_ridge_guy
18th March 2012, 10:58 PM
bigrig is right on the money with locking your hubs in for a little while if you haven't been in 4wd for a long time if ever like some soft roaders from the city so the seals don't dry out and crack or split on you

Barney Rubble
19th March 2012, 10:31 AM
You will use slightly more fuel, but if you could possibly tell in a gq youre doing well, (maybe get 20.5lt/100km as opposed to 20.3lt/100km)but it will not do any damage unless the little lever is engaged. I use 4wd each morning to get out of my front yard and most of the time switch to h4 on the corrugated roads around home for better control. I left my Nissan navara's front hubs locked in for 3 1/2 years and never once had binding, and will do the same with GQ. it also helps with the front diff oil too. The manual in the navara actually states to lock the front hubs without engaging 4wd occasionally for this purpose.
Cheers Barney Rubble.

04OFF
19th March 2012, 11:30 AM
As others have said, no binding or damage on road , hubs locked in 2wd, i even do this with a auto Lokka in the front diff ,and you can drive 2wd hubs locked and no transmission binding.

GQsweep
19th March 2012, 07:39 PM
If I'm driving around in crappy, rainy weather I'll often lock the hubs. Comes in handy on those slippery roundabouts to slip it into 4h just before and then slip it out again when back on the straight. BUT, only if road is wet!

Chris

taslucas
19th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Around home where i 4wd most, there is fast gravel sections in between the cool spots (even though i love fast gravel!). I keep the hubs locked in the front and just go back to 2wd. Usually do 15/20 kms at about 70-100 km/h before we get to the next slow bit. I notice the steering is a bit heavy but i dont reckon it does any damage, just help to lubricate all the bits:)

HammerBuilder
19th March 2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah there's an ol' guy I hang with that leaves his in all the time n has done since he bought it done over 330 on the clock n only just the other day I was with him N thought I just heard a slight click click when he turned around in a dead end street, oh yeah this is in 2H as well 99.9% of time he barely puts a wheel on the dirt.

patrol_maverick
21st March 2012, 06:34 PM
So it doesn't damage anything (in 2H).

If you have a bit of wear in the front prop shaft splines then it will tend to rumble alot, so there is potential damage after a period of time. It's best to unlock the hubs to avoid this.
Also if you run an auto locker, it's a pretty obvious no-no to leave the hubs locked.

PT Paul
22nd March 2012, 06:18 PM
While were talking hubs. Do they generally feel hot to the touch after normal driving?

Bigrig
22nd March 2012, 06:55 PM
While were talking hubs. Do they generally feel hot to the touch after normal driving?

Yessum boss ... answered your other thread also mate!! Hope it helps.

GQ snail
24th March 2012, 09:58 PM
Def all good to leave locked in at all times, just never engage 4H or 4L on black top. As stated above. I run mine locked at all times, never found issue and fuel consumption is unchanged.

Bulbous
25th March 2012, 04:18 AM
I'm with GQ Snail here.
In fact if I even had any hubs, I'd leave them locked all the time. I don't have hubs because my GU is Gulf Spec.
No Gulf Spec Patrols (and trust me there are quite a lot of them) has hubs fitted. The wheels are just bolted straight on.

The Tank
25th March 2012, 07:13 PM
I have auto locking hubs that have a hex bolt head in the center where I would expect the manual twist to engage to be. Is it possible to lock these in manually?

the evil twin
25th March 2012, 09:27 PM
I have auto locking hubs that have a hex bolt head in the center where I would expect the manual twist to engage to be. Is it possible to lock these in manually?

Yes, the nut is the same size as the wheel brace. They have two settings "Auto" and "Lock"

If you are going out into gnarly/muddy terrain for a wheel you should use a wrench and "lock" the hubs. "Auto" is essentially only for a 1 off spur of the moment use when you don't want to leave the comfort of the cabin unlike GQ's where people want every excuse to get out.

jedskipow
26th March 2012, 12:16 PM
The fuel consumption difference is a lot. Write your kms down and check it and record litres, the diffence is scary on carton money. I reckon 50 kms plus per tank of fuel extra with them in on highway. Plus less friction, noise, wear and more power. I notice difference even in paddock vehecle where I generally leave them in as to how much fuel it uses so when is dry (if the last couple yrs) I take them out,

also means if driver stuck on something they have to get out to put hubs in before they drop it into 4wd and keep under it although auto hubs more convenient although a pain to lock if you really want to use them.
I know a bloke that replaced auto with manual hubs for stronger and he reckons that saved
fuel. Dunno :)
Your hubs should be not above hold hand on it temp. disengaged, maybe check bearings.

The Tank
26th March 2012, 06:43 PM
Cheers dude, after wiping all the mud and brake dust off the hub I now see the witness marks and am now wondering why I couldn't have worked this one out for myself!!!

04OFF
26th March 2012, 08:55 PM
"Auto" is essentially only for a 1 off spur of the moment use when you don't want to leave the comfort of the cabin unlike GQ's where people want every excuse to get out.

Bwahhhaaa !

Classic ET :clapping:

footsinperth
3rd April 2012, 10:59 PM
Great info thanks

nissannewby
3rd April 2012, 11:25 PM
The lube effect wont change as if the centre isnt spinning it wont need lube and if hubs are locked it will be spinning therefore lubricating the gears. Having the hubs locked when generally put more load on your wheel bearings as they are now dealing with the load of spinning the diff centre and a nuetralised transfer case. For wear and tear reasons i would be leaving them unlocked while driving normally and if for whatever reason yout think you may need 4wd jump out and lock them in. Seal lube and life will depend on the angle your 4wd will see as the oil just sits there anyway if she only ever stays absolutely level then you may have dramas with them deteriating but mostly these seals will see lube with general cornering. Also if seals are working correctly the only ones which should see oil are your inner axle seals and pinion seal. I hope this helps cheers