PDA

View Full Version : Decisions on my GU

Kingy10992
18th March 2012, 11:35 AM
ok start off, only new so dunno if its the right spot to post in,

previously owned a shorty gq and now have recently purchased a gu ute 1999 non turbo 4.2 deisel

looking at putting a garret gt2871 with a front mount cooler, turboglide qouted me $5490 fitted complete with everything? seemed to be a bit exspensive?

also looking at doing a 2"lift with a 50mm body lift, (looking at pro comp), with the 2" lift do you only need shocks, springs, and caster correction bushes?

cheers josh

AB
18th March 2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Josh, don't forget to put up an intro about yourself in the introductions section.

5.5k does seem a bit high but what do you plan on doing with the GU, towing, mid/extreme 4wding?

Even just the standard Gu turbo with 12-13 would be loads cheaper then that and easy to install yourself and would suit a lot of drivers but depends on what you want to get out of it, etc?

nissannewby
18th March 2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah that turbo is a rather large setup and brings boost on at the wrong time. I would call united in WA he does some awesome turbo setups for the td42 that are a near perfect match for the motor with the right tune. He can and prob will point you in the right direction for what you want. That quote is about normal for someone to fit and tune with everything required. I would be buying the kit and installing yourself will save yourself quite a bit of $$$. With the lift you can get away with just springs and shocks with a 2". I had a 2" in my GQ (no castor correction) and i have a 2" (with castor correction) in my GU and i cant tell any difference between the 2.

Kingy10992
18th March 2012, 10:51 PM
Ok cheers, the 5500 quote was for everything and fitted, but I had a shorty gq with a gt28 and it seemed fine, boost kicked in pretty much from idol,

But I'll look into it more, also with a 3" lift what's needed?

nissannewby
19th March 2012, 10:35 AM
I may have been thinking of a different turbo sorry but they are having great reults with the td05 range with the td42. With a 3" springs, shocks, brake lines, some sort of castor correction (bushes arms etc) adjustable panhards and possible drag link

45/70
19th March 2012, 11:12 AM
When fitting your lift, dont forget to fit a brake bias plate to compensate for the lift. 2" plate for 2" lift and so on.

snowy
19th March 2012, 08:37 PM
Hi kingy, i just completed a setup on my gu 4.2. Saved loads of coin doing it myself. Alot of swearing at the exhaust making process but i got there in the end. The rest of the fitting was a piece of cake if u know the basics of a car

Kingy10992
19th March 2012, 09:54 PM
Ok, what did you have to do with the fuel when u put the turbo on? And did yours already have a oil return in the sump or did you have to get one put in it? Because I'm thinking about doing it myself, seems pretty simple with me (apprentice deisel mechanic) only thing that I'm worried about is what is needed to do with te fuel?

nissannewby
19th March 2012, 10:00 PM
Depends how much boost you wanna run. There is an adjustment screw on the td42 pump but its best to make sure you have boost and pyro gauges fitted before playing with this yourself. With the extra coin you save yourself fitting it take it to a reputable tuner as they will be able to get your afr right and tuned how you want it. You can get kits with an exhaust for around the 3k mark if you have the right gear you will have it fitted in a day. If its a factory NA motor it may have the drain in it being a gu if not its an easy enough job to put one into the sump yourself.

Kingy10992
19th March 2012, 10:21 PM
Only looking at running 10, 12 max, it should be pretty easy to fit as I have the tools at my work, the pyro is the exhaust right?

nissannewby
19th March 2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah pyro if you place it post turbo place as close to the turbo as you can. I would start at 10 and see how you like it. once its installed a safe temp for max exhaust gas temp is 500-550

Kingy10992
19th March 2012, 10:37 PM
Ok cheers, I'll look into getting a boost and pyro and a pilar mount for it, and I'll post up a thread of how to,

snowy
21st March 2012, 08:15 AM
I wound the fuel screw on the pump in one and a half turns. Yours would most likely be different. I started at one full turn then did small adjustments after that by watching my pyro whilst under heavy load on a big hill. Im tunning 10 psi and noticed a huge difference. Massive increase ib torque between 1500 and 3000 rpm. I cheated with my return a bit as i drilled a tiny hole near the top of the sump then pierced it csrefully with a big centre punch until i could tap a tapeted 5/8 brass fitting with loctite. Id still like to get a proper tune but its pointless now as im saving for an intercooler