PDA

View Full Version : Steering death wobbles shakes remedies fixes that worked

97_gq_lwb
17th March 2012, 05:55 PM
Ok i see so many posts about steering shakes and wobbles i thought i would try and keep it in one so that it isn't all over the place.
Feel free to add anything i have missed.
Ok things that worked for me in the past.
Panhard rod bushes even retightening of the panhard bush bolts.
Re tensioning wheel bearings to spec.
New steering damper.
I have also read about people
Removing shims.
Using Offset wheel bearings.
Cleaning the mud off from inside the wheels.
On vehicle wheel balance.

copied as posted by spanner.
check all the usual stuff. tie-rod ends, drag-link ends (rod from steering box to stub axle). Make sure everything is tight & in good nick. Swap rear tyres (if not scalloped/irregularly worn). Toe-in needs to be 0-1-2mm in. anymore & only outside of l/h tyre will wear. Correctly adjust wheel bearings as most wheel alignment places dont bother & 70% of the time this is the cause. Caster setting shouldn't be any higher than approx. 1.5-2 degrees. I was a truck mechanic for 20+ years & some mercedes used to do this to point of shaking so bad they would break steering arms. You want good flat rubber on the front ,a dynamic (on vehicle) wheel balance done along with proper alignment. There should also be (can't remember the exact ft/lbs) a certain amount of pre-load on the upper & lower pivot bearings. Hope this helps.

chucky
20th March 2012, 07:45 PM
I rotate my wheels every 10000 and i include the spare in the rotate i had bad wobble it worked for me.

Robo
21st March 2012, 05:21 AM
Steel rims can be a major problem,
out of round, bent , from the factory 9/10.