PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 or 2.8

lets go
17th March 2012, 04:38 PM
I cant make up my mind... Im going around OZ in about 10 months with the family. I know a td4.2 would be the ideal choice but once everything is perchased our funding doesn't allow it. $20000 is our limit so its the 3.0 or the 2.8 , I've heard all the stories about the 3lt but untill reading some stories on this site I thought the 2.8 were a slow but strong motor. I've also known 2 people that own 3lt's for nearly 10 years and they have never skipped a beat..
Please give me your thoughts
thanks

macca86
17th March 2012, 04:52 PM
I have a 3ltr and love it goes well 20 000 limit I'd get a 2003 or newer gu for that price should be great. or buy a gq 4.2 td and put the rest of the cash to mods and camping gear.

lets go
18th March 2012, 01:36 PM
I took a 02 3lt for a drive for $16000 exelent order drove well, snorkel, winch bar, 2" lift, turbo timer. what are your thoughts???
also found one today on the side of the road to many k's for my liking but it was evidence that a 3lt can go the distance it had 421000ks and still going strong

macca86
18th March 2012, 01:46 PM
for example mine when I bought it was a 2000 model with 03 model motor 158000 km on the truck 128000 on the motor came with steel bullbar(winch bar) uhf cb arials cd player spotties steel side steps rear draws tow ball clean and tidy was a dx as I don't like carpet in myt 4wds but came with cruise air con power steer 12 stack cd I got it for 20 000 almost a year ago. I would try find 03 or newer to be clear of the grenade era. or find a cheap gu with blown motor and spend the extra and put a 4.2 in it.

lets go
18th March 2012, 03:57 PM
the only 03 I can find under $20k look like they have had a hard life.
Was there a consistant amount kms the 3lt used to blow at, was there a certain amount kms they did before you knew it wasn't a lemon ?
Because they way Im starting to think is any 4x4 I buy that is 10yrs old Im running the risk of buying a miss used about to blow motor?????

Benno7
18th March 2012, 04:09 PM
I would buy a 2.8 over a 3ltr. I think people under rate the 2.8 a few mods and they are great. Just dont compare it against a td42.

lets go
18th March 2012, 04:15 PM
Thats what I originaly thought till reading some posts on here.

I would buy a 2.8 over a 3ltr. I think people under rate the 2.8 a few mods and they are great. Just dont compare it against a td42.

jman69
18th March 2012, 05:33 PM
I drive a 2.8 , only my first 4x4 but i love it. On a trip form Adelaide to Ballarat loaded with family and luggage it drove like a dream.

macca86
18th March 2012, 05:51 PM
my room mate loved his 2.8 gu I've never drove one but let him drive my 3 ltr and he liked it too just need to keep the engines in the peak torque and power band. good luck out there test drive both and see what you like then make your purchase

outbackjack
18th March 2012, 10:14 PM
Also depends on if you want auto or manual.

I would look at a 3 litre anything from 2000. Either buy one at 6k with blown engine and rebuild it, or find one that has an engine replaced already.

If it was me and was going to do a big trip, I would buy one with a blown engine, replace it with a new one or recoed. Brand new engine is around 7k. I am about to move to the territory, so my old girl is getting a brand new engine etc. Will cost me about 15k, but I am replacing everything with new. New engine, injector pump, turbo, alt and starter etc etc. Even going to the extreme buying and installing new timing chain, tensioners etc, a lot of people wouldnt go that far. Just using the old one. I am also installing a Extreme Valve body for the trannie.

I am also finsihing of the NADS install. So hoping that I will not have any troubles in the next several years.

Before looking at replacing my engine I did consider a model upgrade, but for around the 20 to 25k mark, I couldnt find too much with less the 180 to 200kms. So I would still be up for some repair cost somewhere.

FullFlxd
19th March 2012, 10:12 AM
I agree with Macca86, When you find that sweet spot in the RPM range and drive within it whilst on the road it really pays of. I have being playing around with it for a while and now Im getting 9.9ltr/100 around the burbs thats with 33x12.5 tyres. Cause your in the perfect rev range you don't feel like your driving like a grandma either!

Don't worry about all the horror stories. Look out for a good deal and try to find something with less years and km's. Main thing is to take you time than enjoy it when you found it.

45/70
19th March 2012, 10:20 AM
Go for the best and latest mod 3lt with the best service history you can find, fit N,A,D,S,
Then enjoy your trip.:thumbup:

MrAz
20th March 2012, 10:30 PM
Keep looking around. I must have looked at 50 patrols before i found a 2000 2.8 GU with 140000 ks on it for 17g. It has a few cosmetic blemishes but im only going to beat it up anyway. It drives like a dream. Ive repaired quite a few blown 3 litres for customers. Not a fan of them and just couldnt afford a 4.2

Tenchy202
27th March 2012, 07:39 PM
My 3 ltr has done 300,000 km and ha never skipped a beat .. But that being said you do have to make sure they get service regularly

JoseM
28th March 2012, 02:24 AM
The RD28 is long lasting engine, but very limited, on the other hand the zd30 has a head problem (Patrol only), #3 and #4 cyl start to go bad, leading to the need for a complete overhaul.

The problem seems to be on the actual design of the head used on the Patrol, since de Frontier and the Urvan have had no major issues. Some say is oil related, since lowering viscocity and increasing oil capacity did in fact help somewhat, but in my opinion the main problem comes from overboosting to the point that is not uncommon to find oil being blown on up to the intake manifold :eek:, which then mixes with EGR creating a black paste that restrict you runners, and from there all kinds of problems.

On top of what I explained before, the ECU does not monitor EGT nor controls air-2-fuel ratio, so it cant tell when a cyl is running too rich, which in turn (in a diesel engine) will bring your EGT up, melting piston and/or cyl heads without the driver noticing untill it is too late.

What can be done? Well, put a pyro and boost gauges, add an oil catch can, and watter injection system set to come on after 10psi, also a turbo timmer is necesary for this engine. Another thing I would do is a better waste gate set to 20psi. With all that it sould not give you problems, but that will depend on the engines previous life...

I would not buy that engine...

Im sure if you are pacient enough you could find a TD42 or TB45 for a good price.

teleman
30th March 2012, 07:20 PM
My 01 3L has never missed a beat. Just teat them with care and they will treat you well back.
3L can tow better than 2.8's mine has been rated at 3.5t (with a 2' lift)

Thats the good stuff!!!!

patrol2.8
31st March 2012, 06:29 PM
I have both a 2.8 and a 3lt and while the 2.8 is a wagon st and the 3lt is a dx work ute i have to say i prefer the 2.8 with the mods ive done to the motor etc its smoother and quieter and more comfortable to drive but for towing i prefer the 3lt i guess end result is they both will do what you want to do with ease so pick carefully and enjoy your holiday

snowy
2nd April 2012, 10:43 PM
You could always go down the track i went down mate. I only wanted a big 6 diesel and got a N/A 4.2 and turbo it. I got mine cheap an fitted the turbo myself. The car only owes me 13500 after the turbo was done.

BlackOIL
4th April 2012, 11:46 PM
i gotta 2.8L it has an 3" turbo back with k&n.... and it goes pretty hard.........
my neighbour across the road has got a gu with the 3L and he is on his 2nd motor... he even tried to sell the thing to me....

T0nka
6th April 2012, 08:14 PM
2.8's are notorius for cracking heads. Fact

I own 1. My 1st head cracked, so i put on a new head.. The 2nd head dropped a valve, motor gone. 11k later its running again.

In saying all this, i still love the bloody thing. Ill never sell it, its my truck for life

itchyvet
7th April 2012, 06:28 PM
I cant make up my mind... Im going around OZ in about 10 months with the family. I know a td4.2 would be the ideal choice but once everything is perchased our funding doesn't allow it. $20000 is our limit so its the 3.0 or the 2.8 , I've heard all the stories about the 3lt but untill reading some stories on this site I thought the 2.8 were a slow but strong motor. I've also known 2 people that own 3lt's for nearly 10 years and they have never skipped a beat..
Please give me your thoughts
thanks

As a 2.8 GU owner myself, I'd advise you go the way of the 3 litre, just make sure it's at least 5 or 6 years old, younger would be better, but AVOID the 1999 thru to 2005 years, far to much grief.
Knowledge and parts are much more readily available for the 3 liter then the 2.8.
For what it's worth, my thoughts on the issue.

JoseM
9th April 2012, 08:58 AM
As a 2.8 GU owner myself, I'd advise you go the way of the 3 litre, just make sure it's at least 5 or 6 years old, younger would be better, but AVOID the 1999 thru to 2005 years, far to much grief.
Knowledge and parts are much more readily available for the 3 liter then the 2.8.
For what it's worth, my thoughts on the issue.

What changed on the zd30 after 2005?

macca86
10th April 2012, 07:44 PM
What changed on the zd30 after 2005?

common rail rather than di