PDA

View Full Version : will a holley and a set of extractors help my rb30

fat pete
16th March 2012, 05:20 PM
g,day everyone,ive owned my gq for a few months now and have slowly been sorting her out so me and the missus can do a bit of travellen,camping and general malarky,ive just about got my campertrailer sorted as well,when the q is towing the trailer its a bit underpowered,when its by itself its not too bad..idd like just a little more,my soninlaw ses by a vl and take the fuel injection off it and put on the rb30..i really couldnt do this myself as im a bit crook and not gettn any better.the motor at present is totally stock,im thinking maybe the cheapest way out of it is to put a set of extractors and decent system and a holley 350 or a 500,has anyone done this and does anyone think that it will give me that little extra power?i only tow the campertrailer with it and i want to do some dirt roads,beaches etc,no major off road stuff,she runs petrol and lpg..would the power be anywere near the power if i was to put the injection on her,,any info would be greatly appreciated,,not really wanting to do the turbo thing...

nissannewby
17th March 2012, 03:14 AM
If you change the carby and put extractors on you will probably use more fuel. The injection is gonna net you good gains and will out do the carb and extractors. As the ijection is mad for these motors if you get all the right parts everything just bolts on. Costwise if you shop around doing the injection may be similar to yoour other mods.

Robo
17th March 2012, 10:51 AM
forget the holley.
waste of money.
wear out to easy.
you will have tuning issues till it finally kills the motor.

RB 30, injection, and maybe a turbo bolt on way better than holley.

good luck

taslucas
17th March 2012, 11:03 AM
forget the holley.
waste of money.
wear out to easy.
you will have tuning issues till it finally kills the motor.

RB 30, injection, and maybe a turbo bolt on way better than holley.

good luck

A Mate has put a holley on his RB30 GQ manual and it goes really, really well. Holley do a 330 that is made for 4wd applications as a standard 350 holley is more prone to stalling on inclines. He had no tuning issues at all.
As nissannewby said above, it will use more fuel with a holley and extractors.
Having said that, my mate is in the process of putting an efi kit on and then later, a turbo. Again, as nissannewby said, the efi (and turbo) upgrades on the RB30 are probably the easiest efi and turbo upgrade you can do as all the parts can be sourced cheapely and easily from secondhand VL motors. Buy a good cond VL efi engine (and computer) and it will have all the parts to upgrade.

fat pete
17th March 2012, 11:14 AM
thanks for the replys there fellas,,really greatfull for that,,im going to chase up a vl comm and go with the injection mods..thanks again.

Robo
17th March 2012, 11:20 AM
Ok if you serious then here's the calc to work out carby size.

cubic capacity ( inches ) x max revs div by 2.
this give you cubic inches of gas per min.

divide this by1728.
will give you cu/ft per min.

3Lt = 183cub/inches.
according to my favourite conversion link.
183 x 6000 div 2= 549000 cub/inch gas per min.
549000 div 1728= 317 cu/ft.
a 350 holley is to big and will drown you engine for max 6k revs.
I know 317 to 350 not much but that s the figures for 6k rev
you would need a 317 or say 300 holley.

7000k rev limit is 370 holley.
but these are figures you may not be doing and again you drown the engine in fuel.
if you over carb an engine fuel droplets appear and drown things.
its that simple.
hope this helps
cheers

Robo
17th March 2012, 11:26 AM
the main reason I meantion holley waste of time is there construction not built to last.
ie leak around butterfly for example and so on.

taslucas
17th March 2012, 11:41 AM
the main reason I meantion holley waste of time is there construction not built to last.
ie leak around butterfly for example and so on.

yeah thats probably true. I know two people with them on their GQs but neither have had them long enough to see any premature wear. Holley isnt the highest quality thats for sure!
I had a 350 holley on a holden 202 (3.3 litre). It had a lumpy as cam and would still have power up to 7500 rpm.
The 330 holley kit is designed and manufactured for the RB30 engine in 4wd applications. (it may be underjetted so not to drown as per your calculations?)

taslucas
17th March 2012, 11:45 AM
heres a holley kit from re-carb:http://www.recarb.com.au/Nissan%20Patrol%20RB30%20CK.php
PS i would go the efi personally

Robo
17th March 2012, 11:49 AM
without doing the math, 330 is probably on the money for 6500 rpm.

taslucas
17th March 2012, 01:15 PM
I dont get it....so a 330 holley will be flooding the engine up until it reaches 6500rpm?

fat pete
17th March 2012, 02:14 PM
ive got a vl lined up but im wondering about the fuel pump,ive been told that the nissan fuel pump wont be good enuff to run the injection.im thinking that the vl pump probably wont fit in my tank,can i run a aftermarket pump outside the tank,anyone know what i should do there??

nissannewby
17th March 2012, 04:01 PM
Not sureabout the vl pump but an aftermarket set up will be fine and for what you want wont blow the budget

#100 :)

fat pete
17th March 2012, 04:22 PM
good onya newby,thanks everyone.

macca86
17th March 2012, 04:57 PM
need an in tank pump to a surge tank to an electric pump and you'll be good for 500hp

97_gq_lwb
17th March 2012, 05:13 PM
Vl runs two pumps one in tank and the external just fit the external pump from the vl it will be fine.
Or alternatively use the r31 pump and ecu as it is a variable speed pump controlled by the ecu and can be adapted to fit into the gq tank.

Robo
18th March 2012, 06:21 AM
I dont get it....so a 330 holley will be flooding the engine up until it reaches 6500rpm?

To do with capacity "ability cu/ft" in this case, and fuel ratio metering matching the volume.
330 cu/ft, 3 Lt engine x 6500rpm sounds like a good match with correct jetting to suit engine.
guessing the mod is to do with how the float works so not to starve the engine in off Rd situations.
I didn't say cant be done, just a reply.

And I think everyone forgot, yes extractors are also a good idea.
Pre wrap em before you put em on is also a good idea.
And soft stainless wire also helps to tie/wrap up, in addition to CV straps.
Around $10 x 10m x 60lb good tackle shops have it.
BCF for eg.

cheers

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 04:57 PM
i too was thinkin of doing the EFi conversion..not game enought to do it myself?? im torn between getting it done professionally or getting a GU 4.5L... my best mate has a 2.8L turbo diesel and his engine crapped itself and cost him well over $15,000 to get fixed...the thought of having to fork out that much money to fix a diesel scares me.....

macca86
30th March 2012, 06:03 PM
i too was thinkin of doing the EFi conversion..not game enought to do it myself?? im torn between getting it done professionally or getting a GU 4.5L... my best mate has a 2.8L turbo diesel and his engine crapped itself and cost him well over $15,000 to get fixed...the thought of having to fork out that much money to fix a diesel scares me.....

15000 to fix the motor talked ablout ripped off you can buy a 2.8 gu for 15 G. You could have done a 4.2 td conversion for less. Diesels are great if looked after and can go forever but are costly if need repaired. petrol is cheaper to buy and fix if broken but cost more in fuel bills

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 06:24 PM
yeah that was the turbo too....i shouldve added that sorry...but still in saying that...

yeh he kinda had no choice hes from another state and got caught out on the way up here in brissy..had to go pick him up

That is very true... my parents had a 2000 or 2002 3.0l 4cyl turbo diesel patrol and they kept it serviced all the time and drived it like a baby and it looks as good as the day they bought it....

im still undecided in which direction to take...i got a half a year to decide..thinkin of upgrading then...but at the same time theres nothing wrong with the rb30 gq i got now... just a few more upgrades and shell be sweet..

macca86
30th March 2012, 06:27 PM
yeah that was the turbo too....i shouldve added that sorry...but still in saying that...

yeh he kinda had no choice hes from another state and got caught out on the way up here in brissy..had to go pick him up

That is very true... my parents had a 2000 or 2002 3.0l 4cyl turbo diesel patrol and they kept it serviced all the time and drived it like a baby and it looks as good as the day they bought it....

im still undecided in which direction to take...i got a half a year to decide..thinkin of upgrading then...but at the same time theres nothing wrong with the rb30 gq i got now... just a few more upgrades and shell be sweet..

I'f your happy drive her till she dies then upgrade or 6.5 diesel chev or gen 3 v8 motor upgrade haha

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 09:22 PM
haha funny you mention that.... i have been checkin out those conversions on marks 4wd adapters.....i didnt think you could do those conversions on the RB30..something about the transmission not being strong enough?? but that would be fantastic ...a nice v8....just the sound of it when i pull up next to my mate in his little vitara haha

JohnnyBigPants
21st April 2012, 10:37 PM
Great to hear the comments on the fuel injected RB30 as my ST30 is receiving an ex Skyline RB30E this very week. And I am a tad excited. I too have had dramas towing; since we acquired a second horse, I really had to do something. (light horse box + a thoroughbred + quarter horse + tack + food = about 2 tonnes) My mechanic mate, doing the swap, doesn't recommend the turbo. He insists that he can get heaps out of the motor norm asp. Good luck Pete!

4by
21st April 2012, 11:22 PM
In between the manifold and carby is a metal plate with wire mesh. This is used when in extreme cold overnight snow and is meant to warm up the fuel. Take out this plate and remove the mesh. Put the plate back and bolt the carby back on. This will make a noticeable difference in power and performance.
I did this to my old rb30 and it was the best thing especially as it cost nothing. You will never need the mesh and it's restricting flow. Pretty easy to do.

iansmqshotyy
22nd April 2012, 12:11 AM
you can also use and i would r31 skyline ... nissan ecu or even better a motec or autronic this will allow a FULL dyno tune custom to you, there is also a HEAP of parts avail for the rb30 aftermarket gooies a such also the vl use an external fuel pump it just plumb s in line near the tank and is the same one as a vn v8 , if memory serves its a fpe 145 (fulemiser no.) i had one on my custom efi l20b bluebird too worked a treat well past 7000....

peter85
10th May 2012, 02:21 PM
if it was me, i'd go for a rb26det but thats just me. Bang for your buck big time. Also Holley do a 4wd truck specific carb called the truck avenger. Apparently it has solved the flooding issues that they have with the needle opening right up on an incline and flooding the engine. Pretty good price too for brand new out of the us from somewhere like jegs performance. nearly half price of Aus. Just a suggestion anyways. they can also jet it to suit your eng.

fat pete
6th August 2012, 12:31 PM
well everyone i ended up buying a vl commodore and pulling everything that was needed from it then we wrecked the restof it and got the 600 dollars that i payed for it back plus ive got a spare motor outve it,,really want to thank my soninlaw as he did all the conversion for me.he did anawsome job.the gq has really benifeted right across the board..i have alot more power that i can feel,the missus me andthe two dogs just got back from our trip half way around ozz,we left gawler south ozz headed to darwin then across to broome,down to perth then across the nullarboar back to gawler towin our 1100kilo campertrailer.we averaged 20litrs to 100kms and most of the time we sat on 100kmh..i did have trouble near fitzroy xing when the motor started to run like a real pig and ran on about 2cyl,turns out that my leccy dizzy shit it.an easy enuff fix and i guess these things can happen whenyou are using second hand parts to do a conversion..overall im really happy with the conversion.ill stick some pics up later if i canworkit out,we put anice set of extractors 2.5 inch exhaust,a snorkle,upgraded the lpg system and the soninlaw made up a nice airbox for her..im rapt with it andas i said it was a dirt cheap conversion to do..being on a pension ive also found that parts for the motor including the complete motor can be had for bargain basement prices and are pretty much available everywhere..

4by
6th August 2012, 12:41 PM
Glad all went well and you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like you had a great time.
I loved my old RB30 motor. With the engine idling I could balance a 50c piece on its end on the rocker cover without falling over. :wink:

Rustyboner81
11th August 2013, 03:38 PM
Are you telling me i wouldnt even need to change the head????

Can i get a list off all components needed to do this mod, if anyone know 100%

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 04:01 PM
Are you telling me i wouldnt even need to change the head????

Can i get a list off all components needed to do this mod, if anyone know 100%
Do you want to put a efi upgrade on your RB30 ??

mudnut
11th August 2013, 04:18 PM
Hey, George, what can be done to toughen up the gearbox to make it handle the extra ponies from the upgraded engines?

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 04:53 PM
Hey, George, what can be done to toughen up the gearbox to make it handle the extra ponies from the upgraded engines?

Do they run a MX5 gearbox like a vl ?? If they do i would source an MX7 vl turbo box to bolt up to the transfer case. Be prepared for the MX7 to be worth around the 2k mark.

mudnut
11th August 2013, 05:18 PM
A bloke from one of the gearbox and parts suppliers reckons my troll has exactly the same as a VL, when I gave him the VIN. So I may be able to upgrade the guts to the MX7,yeah?

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 05:52 PM
A bloke from one of the gearbox and parts suppliers reckons my troll has exactly the same as a VL, when I gave him the VIN. So I may be able to upgrade the guts to the MX7,yeah?

Most definitely mate, i think they have wider gears, so a larger surface area to spread the power across. If you wanted to go a bit over the top, why not fit a Tremec 6 speed from a vy commo /ba facon?? That would be pretty sweet hey ??

mudnut
11th August 2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, it would be sweet as, but the wallet is gunna be anaemic after whacking the secondhand box and trans case and new heavy duty clutch in. I will be doing up the old box when funds permit.

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it would be sweet as, but the wallet is gunna be anaemic after whacking the secondhand box and trans case and new heavy duty clutch in. I will be doing up the old box when funds permit.

Thats fair enough mate just put Tremec 6spd on the to do list

Rustyboner81
11th August 2013, 08:43 PM
Do you want to put a efi upgrade on your RB30 ??

yes!!!!!!!!! im waiting to hear back about an R31 wreck with good motor but rooted radiator unlicensed $300, and a vl commadore licesed $800

im quite confidant that when i get home in 10 days i will have the donor.

so i would really like a "how to" thread or link to help me do it

Rustyboner81
11th August 2013, 08:51 PM
im planning on just changing the head and the components not the whole engine

if i dont need to change the head then even better

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 09:24 PM
im planning on just changing the head and the components not the whole engine

if i dont need to change the head then even better

The head is the same vl na and turbo , r31 and patrol. The cam is the only difference between carby, efi and efi turbo. The series 1 vl block dont have the tubo oil feed and drain or water line under the extractors but the series 2 and all r31's do. If you want to turbo the motor a series 2 (mid 87-88) vl loom is better coz it has the extra wire needed to wire up a knock sensor already in it. If your also going to run a turbo and are not going to get it engineered use the na pletnum chamber because it has bigger runners in it than the turbo one coz the turbo unit is from an rb20 sohc that the vl's and r31 use in nz, but we scored it coz of our awesome emission reg's. If you want to squeeze another 7kw out of the motor you can also get an XF EFI throttle body and match port the manifold to suite, but you dont feel the benefit coz its for top end performance.

Its not that hard to do just finding 20 yo parts that are in good working order is the problem :) i actually have a turbo set up that i used pieces from to do my vl turbo conversion on my old vl ex cop car that i had AND the na set up aswell lol

Rustyboner81
11th August 2013, 10:08 PM
so i can leave the carby head on the rb30 and just attach the intake manifold etc.
if had my head off before i know it runs well
i was under the impression to go efi i would need an efi head?

Alitis007
11th August 2013, 10:53 PM
so i can leave the carby head on the rb30 and just attach the intake manifold etc.
if had my head off before i know it runs well
i was under the impression to go efi i would need an efi head?

Like i said mate all the same just different cams.

Personally i'd go turbo, not over the top but just with a couple of mods to give it a better economy. My vl only ran standard boost but had a lot of down low torque. Because it was a high comp engine i installed a 1.9mm thick layered steel head gasket to lower the compression and also got the valves enlarged by 3mm, on stock boost and a cooler i could run the factory computer.

Imo efi is good but that little bit extra from the turbo will help ALOT!

Rustyboner81
11th August 2013, 11:13 PM
sounds good, efi first though.
how about the lpg?

Rustyboner81
11th August 2013, 11:34 PM
The series 1 vl block dont have the turbo oil feed and drain or water line under the extractors

should this concern me?

Alitis007
12th August 2013, 12:02 AM
sounds good, efi first though.
how about the lpg?
Its ok but personally i don't like lpg coz it dries out you motor and halfs its life. The only real benefit is that its cheap and if your run dedicated lpg you dont have to comply with emissions but that means no injectors or petrol tank at all in the car so no need for an engineers cert.

Just remembered lpg is 110ron so with a turbo will produce more power high in the rpm torque curve.

The series 1 vl block dont have the turbo oil feed and drain or water line under the extractors

should this concern me?

Not really the patrol block should have them there and your only really interested in the intake manifold and loom for the conversion, anyway if the trol hasn't got them its pretty easy to drill and tap plus one water line for the turbo is comes from a heater hose. The T piece is easy to make with fittings from pertec, 16mm straight piece the a 10mm fitting for the turbo water line. The turbo drain you can weld onto your sump like the td42 boys do.

I've been thinking about finding a rb30 trol to make a rb28 hybrid but thats just a day dream lol 800hp for under 5k, that would be fun hahaha

Rustyboner81
12th August 2013, 06:35 AM
cool, might get this vl today if i can afford it
I run the upper cylibder lube system with mine so that should help

mudnut
12th August 2013, 01:58 PM
I have just done some web surfing, looking for transmission options. One GTR forum has members that extract up to 1000 hp, (with a LOT of mods), out of an rb30 block. That is insane!

Alitis007
12th August 2013, 02:14 PM
I have just done some web surfing, looking for transmission options. One GTR forum has members that extract up to 1000 hp, (with a LOT of mods), out of an rb30 block. That is insane!

When i turboed my vl, my machinist had a head there that flowed 800hp, all it had done was a small port and polish but mind you it was a dohc rb25/26 head. Combined with an rb30 block you make a hybrid RB28, the same used in the limited and very rare R34 GTR Nurspec. There also was an R31 skyline drift car running a standard na rb30 bottom end with a rb25/26 head running hi boost for ages aswell.

mudnut
12th August 2013, 02:21 PM
I've also been researching transmissions, and the common word is that the mx7 box was rare, even in 2006. Is there a gearbox reco mob that aren't too expensive and you trust to do a good job, George?

davo94
12th August 2013, 04:13 PM
The patrol box will handle the power. The vl na box is a carrat.

Alitis007
12th August 2013, 06:22 PM
I've also been researching transmissions, and the common word is that the mx7 box was rare, even in 2006. Is there a gearbox reco mob that aren't too expensive and you trust to do a good job, George?

Not really mate, thats why i try and do as much as i can for my customers and mates. From memory there was a couple of recoed boxes on ebay but they where asking top dollar. Another alternative is retro fit a supra 5spd but you would probably be up for the same $$ as a Tremec 6spd.

Why can you fit a TB/TD42 box and change the bell housing??

Rustyboner81
18th September 2013, 10:52 PM
Got another option.
Bailed on the donor caz of lack of space but my mates mechanic is steering me towards turbo plumbed straight into the carby, bigger jets and a waste gate.

Its still probably 6 months away but much simpler and no need for a computer still :D

mudnut
18th September 2013, 11:31 PM
I have heard that turboing a carby engine is possible , but comes with a new set of problems, such as air leaks from the butterfly shaft etc.

Also, does the transfercase bolt up to the mx7 or ford boxes.

davo94
19th September 2013, 08:14 AM
Also you will have problems with boost pressure over coming the fuel pressure in the carby and pushing it out. Option 1 is a draw threw carby-turbo setup or option 2 is to incase the carby and pressurize the whole thing. All alot harder than fitting efi

taslucas
19th September 2013, 08:18 AM
I would have thought that it would be fairly straight forward to get a vl or skyline turbo engine with all the bits you need and build from that. Theres a heap of aftermarket parts and knowledge for those engines with proven results.
A mate has been stock pilling any rb30 turbo engine stuff he comes across so that one day he will do that to his patrol.

Rustyboner81
19th September 2013, 08:28 AM
Ive been assured its all fine.
Been assured it will be simple and easy to tune. Theres been turbo carbys before EFI

davo94
19th September 2013, 10:06 AM
Ive been assured its all fine.
Been assured it will be simple and easy to tune. Theres been turbo carbys before EFI

Keep us informed on how you go. Are you planning a draw thru (carby before turbo inlet) setup?

Robo
19th September 2013, 01:54 PM
Got another option.
Bailed on the donor caz of lack of space but my mates mechanic is steering me towards turbo plumbed straight into the carby, bigger jets and a waste gate.
Its still probably 6 months away but much simpler and no need for a computer still :D

Please don't take offence just trying to be straight forward and honest,
would of thought efi + turbo was a no brainer against carby + turbo set up.

Personally I'd be going with efi +computer+ turbo.
It doesn't come any easyer especially with the RB30.
yes carby and turbo was before this, that's only because reliable efi wasn't invented yet or was in the to hard basket,
back then people didn't understand how to set up etc, might say in it's infancy.
today parts & tuning options especially for a RB30 far out way carby and turbo set up could ever offer.
computers that can be dyno tuned for beta power/torque you wish to achieve with what parts you fit to engine.
have the notion that you'll be doing it cheaper, completely understand where your coming from.
trust me you'll be surprised what can be done off the shelf to what you have if you explore efi+ turbo.
reliable power and cheaper builds never seem to work.
guess your planning on going off rd, you want some reliability.
remember reliable power is always on the lower side of max power.
you don't' have to build big to achieve good usable results.
RB30 ( RB stands for race breed) will take alot of punishment on or off Rd, if built correctly.
Good luck with what you decide to do.
cheers

Robo
19th September 2013, 02:10 PM

It's more a mixture of, engine max air flow + the max attained revs and what a certain size carb can flow and mix properly for the given combination.

taslucas
19th September 2013, 02:10 PM
........RB30 ( RB stands for race breed) will take alot of punishment on or off Rd, if built correctly.
Good luck with what you decide to do.
cheers

I don't think it does, if so what does RD28 stand for? (basically the diesel version on the rb30)

Or TB42, or TD42?

Robo
19th September 2013, 06:12 PM
I don't think it does, if so what does RD28 stand for? (basically the diesel version on the rb30)

Or TB42, or TD42?

know I read it somewheres.
Hay It makes sense doesn't it.
any way here's a link for wikipeida on RB motors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine

taslucas
19th September 2013, 06:37 PM
know I read it somewheres.
Hay It makes sense doesn't it.
any way here's a link for wikipeida on RB motors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine

All the diesel variants have a "d" and the petrol have a "b". Maybe they got the b upside down? Lol

Rustyboner81
19th September 2013, 06:39 PM
No offense taken. Dont have the time or facillities to do the efi connversion but can get the carby turbo done. It is a no brainer for me for me at the moment ...... with the turbo already on, then later its just an efi conversion. (When i have the time and facillities)
I still hate computers on 4wd's so this is an option i could be happy taking