PDA

View Full Version : boosting my non turbo gu

snowy
16th March 2012, 03:53 PM
hi guys, im a newbie here hopefully im posting this in the right place. heres a few pics of the turbo setup. if i was to ask questions about boost levels and egts etc where would i be best starting a thread? im having a hard time finding info onwhat boost levels i can run on a non turbo gu.. below are a few pics of the setup. ill post the same pics and info elswhere if you like as i reckon i did pretty good on the cost. in total the setup has only cost me $2250, and is all brand new quality parts via the internet. i still need to intercool it though. running the following,

ebay cast iron manifold with t3 flange, kinugawa TD05H 16G external wastegate turbo, kkr 38mm wastegate, 3 inch turbo back straight through, 4 inch stainless air intake, modified ford xr8 pursuit airbox, made all the exhaust and dump pipe myself. running 10 psi at the moment with boost starting at around 1200 rpm and max boost around 1800 rpm, one and a quarter turns on the pump and egts arent going above 475 deg. quite happy with performance so far

Bigrig
16th March 2012, 03:55 PM
I think 14 lbs is the general consensus on "safe" boost on a diesel mate, but assume that's intercooled also.

No doubt when some others finish work etc, they'll be able to assist!!!

AB
16th March 2012, 03:57 PM
Nice effort mate. I think you should be fine getting responses in this thread but if you don't get answers after a couple of days then I would be putting up a new question so everyone see's it better.

snowy
16th March 2012, 04:20 PM
thanks guys, im just having a hard time finding info on the gu thats all. l im sure some people on here would have experience, as you know theres alot of conflicting info on the net as to the gu non turbo having the so called ''weaker'' engine, id just like to know if my specs are set in a safe range for my model, from what i gather the early gq was the pick of the bunch for reliability with aftermarket turboing. today i gave her a hiding up a big hill with 2 tonne of wood and egts went upto 520 @ 80-90kmph 4th gear flat to the board. im hoping to keep my performance the same or better with an intercooler on it but bring my egts down a bit.

Ben-e-boy
16th March 2012, 04:41 PM
yeah 14 psi is good on a standard pump, but you need to get bigger injectors. you can run higher boost but you need to drive to your gauges and big boost on a standard pump with appropriate fuel will see you leaving plumes of black smoke every where.
I am currently getting an injector pump built using parts from a landcruiser pump + a boost compensator, and a larger plunger. to give me enough fuel to run 25 psi on a mitsubishi td05h 16g.
The only thing I will be changing internally is new valve train and double valve springs.

the ute started life and a gq 4.2 N/A.

The good thing about the 4.2 is they have proven to be reliable with big power. there is a mob in brissy that have a gq race truck with 332 hp at the wheels and still reliable, I also know that there are some patrols in brissy running 50psi

nissannewby
17th March 2012, 12:07 AM
50 psi is big numbers def wouldnt be stock internal. As everyone has said 14-15 on standard is pretty safe and a good tune is a must. if you want more you will need to look at cooling to keep everything in check.

snowy
17th March 2012, 03:40 AM
a friend of mine is runing a gq with stock internals at 35 psi with just a modified pump. i didnt beieve it until i saw it. i dont know exact pump specs ect, its a modded gu one and its been going very hard for quie a while now...crazy stuff ay. but with mine if i keep it under 15 psi and intercooled with an eye on my egts i shoud be okay hey? what would be my max safe egt temp? keeping in mind its a non turbo gu engine. thanks again guys

nissannewby
17th March 2012, 04:03 AM
With a decent intercooler set up and a good tune running 15 psi you shouldnt really ever see it get to 450. max safe is around the 500-550 mark but as i said a good setup you shouldnt ever get a drama.

snowy
17th March 2012, 04:06 AM
wowee, wish i had 332hp haha. would pull the camper nicely

snowy
17th March 2012, 04:09 AM
thanks nissannewbie, will take that on board, got an idea now on what i can play with now, cheers