PDA

View Full Version : Natural aspiration to intercooled 2.8

GQ snail
14th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Hay

Is there much involved in making my 2.8gq natural aspirated turbo into a intercooled turbo. Top
Mount preferably.

Dont know much about this sort of thing but thinking I would need upgrade turbo and exaust systems.

Bigrig
14th March 2012, 07:53 PM
How big is your exhaust now mate? The intercooler and pipe work, with a boost controller (if you don't have one already) would be the go ..

Others should be able to offer comment on this one boss, so hang tight!

GQ snail
14th March 2012, 07:56 PM
a standard exaust and no boost control, so stock its as though it just fell of showroom floor, need sort that out though.

Benno7
14th March 2012, 08:03 PM
Hi mate Its quite easy to put a top mount on your 2.8, find your self a gu 2.8 intake manifold and intercooler bolt it on and plumb it up.

HammerBuilder
14th March 2012, 08:44 PM
Yep as BIGRIG said first do the Exhaust I run a 3" turbo back system from scotts rods bolted straight in bout 1/2 hour after I ripped out the old restricted system, as for boost controlling don't crank it up until you have Pyro & Boost guages (I use racetech guages off Ebay work very well for me) or you'll cook n crack the head gasket, been there done it, now all fixed then took it to local diesel shop adjusted the pump & now run 13psi very well with 33" tyres.
On the front of the original manifold there is a blowoff pressure valve set to protect the engine it opens round the 14psi but 13 is very good only bout 2psi over standard but makes heaps of difference when you got a load in it.
Any Q's just ask & some1 will let you know but definately start with exhaust as my turbo spools up way earlier & feels like more power
also as for winding up the boost I just got a Turbosmart BOOST T fitted it in the air line between the turbo actuator on the side of the turbo & the inline T junction about 3 cm away from turbo easy to instal.
I think from memory start out & wind it in no more than 5 clicks at a time as you dont want to shove 25 or 30 psi down its guts first off.

Cheers TonyD

GreenGQ
21st March 2012, 04:16 PM
ooooo Nice box on the dash, did you make it or buy it?