PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumtion on GU 06-10 model Auto / City and Highway?

craigroberts
13th March 2012, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I have searched the net and found many many different fuel consumtion rates - big differences so I am unsure what to believe.

As I drive a lot of kms (but need a 4x4) this is one thing I need to know.

Firstly they are mostly manual transmission figures and maybe they vary so wildly due to maintenance and thing like faulty air flow sensor/meter and old air filter etc.

But I was wondering what fuel consumtion people get with automatic (or even manual I guess) around town and on highway (100-110kmh).

If you reply, could you please specify manual or auto transmission, year and driving style (hammer it off the lights or take it easy) etc.

Dont care about offroad and towing costs as I realise they will be more and I dont care about that cost :)

P.S. I am replacing a V8 petrol 100 series........ I guess you can guess why LOL..... Fuel consumtion HUGE and LPG isnt available in many places so I am going the mighty Patrol :)

Thank You
CR

the evil twin
13th March 2012, 01:37 PM
You will get replies that vary from 9 LPH to 17 LPH. There is no common number, there is no common denominator, there is no common transmission, there is no common year/s indeed there is just no rhyme or reason to the numbers.

There is one example of a vehicle that was getting high (17 LPH or more) and the guy tried just about everything. Then he got a bad load of fuel at Carnarvon and stuffed the Injectors, Pump etc when they were all replaced his economy dropped to 12 or less.

FWIW I average 10.5 LPH to and from work (70 K round trip max speed 80 KPH mostly 60 KPH) in my 07 manual but there are others who would kill for those figures or flat out won't believe them.

Since I have had the vehicle I have done over 60,000 K's all on fuel card and averaged across city, country, highway, towing, 4X4 the vehicle has stubbornly refused to deviate from 12.5 LPH if averaged over any mileage snapshot of 10,000 K's or the whole lot.

Basically around town I get low 10's, Highway I get 12's, Towing and 4X4 I get 15's (again mine is a manual)

craigroberts
13th March 2012, 01:43 PM
SO it seems better economy around town then highway.

I guess its better then the 100 series V8 where I use 22-24 LPH around town and 17-18 LPH highway (90-110kmh average)

And yes those figures are correct over 3 years.

I am a little lead footed around town but hey crazy amount. Even light footed doesnt do THAT much better.

macca86
13th March 2012, 02:11 PM
I have a 2000 model DI DX patrol with a 2003 motor and just put on brand new turbo and safari d tronic chip in manual transmission. First tank of fuel after work 90% highway driving I got 12 L per 100 km

teno45
13th March 2012, 02:15 PM
08 crd auto.

generally get around 13.7-14.0 mainly town driving with some minor stretches up to 100. Some weeks have got it down to 12.8. Haven't owned the car long though.

Light to medium foot, aiming for peak torque band usually

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

craigroberts
13th March 2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks

You have been a big help

GRA.GU
13th March 2012, 03:36 PM
Mine, an 07 auto, now has 78000k. Best ever consumption was a trip Sydney to Ballarat and return, some 2000k all up. Cruising at speed limit returned 10.85l/100k on way down, 9.76 return. Vehicle had 20000k on it at the time. I've never been able to repeat those figures. Usual now is about 13.5 cruising and 14.5 city traffic. I do run slightly larger tyres now, and usually have my roof rack and awning on as well. These figures seem to align with others that I've spoken to, although as ET said, no rhyme or reason for some of the variations I've seen on the forums. But as you would expect the manuals give better figures than the autos.

the evil twin
13th March 2012, 03:49 PM
snip...

SO it seems better economy around town then highway.

In my truck, yes, BUT other trucks can be exactly the opposite and do better on the highway.

I should add my truck is set up as a tourer so is heavy (up very near GVM) small lift, roof rack, chipped, EGR, 33 tyres, VNT backed off so slower turbo spool rate, etc