PDA

View Full Version : Putting a GU on a car trailer?

Fity
13th March 2012, 10:19 AM
I bought a GU with a dead ZD30 and I need to get it home. Has anyone towed one on a car trailer? Is it a viable option to put it on a car trailer (over loaded) for the 100km trip home or should I get a tilt tray?

I will be selling off the motor and other unwanted bits soon to fund the TD42 implant.

nissannewby
13th March 2012, 10:32 AM
I have towed a gq wagon (around 3t i think) on a car trailer with a gq ute did it fine didnt go any faster than about 90kmh

97_gq_lwb
13th March 2012, 10:47 AM
Check the weight most gq towbars are 2300kg max
And most car trailers are 2 tonne max including the weight of the trailer.
I would just get a tilt tray myself.

nissannewby
13th March 2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah i was just thinking about the legalities of it prob safer and cost just as much to get a tilt tray. I towed that when i was a little younger and just wanted to get somewhere.

Fity
13th March 2012, 10:57 AM
I was going to borrow the old man's Disco (3500kg towing capacity) and hire a trailer. If the rentals are 2000kg including the trailer the combined mass would be around 3000kg. I thought they would have been 2000kg + trailer. 50% overloaded may not be that good a thing for 100km. I will ring around for a tilt tray.

nissannewby
13th March 2012, 10:59 AM
Yeah have a look at the cost difference of hiring the trailer to a tilt tray. Not sure what prices are like where you are but i would imagine would be very similar price wise.

Fity
13th March 2012, 11:42 AM
A trailer is $83 for 4 hours from the local Coles servo. I expect a tilt tray to be way more for a 100km trip, but probably the safest option.

97_gq_lwb
13th March 2012, 11:52 AM
You might find a heavy duty car trailer available i couldn't when i looked doesn't hurt to ask around though .
I didn't realise either that some of the hire trailers are as heavy as 900 kilos and i had overloaded heaps of times and wasted money paying extra for the insurance as well as risked a fine.
Not to mention responsibility for any damage.

Fity
13th March 2012, 11:59 AM
Blowing a tyre on the trailer with the Patrol on top at 80kph could be messy.

nissannewby
13th March 2012, 12:02 PM
yeah i thought a gu wagon was up around the 3t mark

macca86
13th March 2012, 01:16 PM
you get a free tow up to 50km from racq if you're a member then only 90 for the rest of the way

Tweakedoffroad
13th March 2012, 07:26 PM
also depending on what wheels are on it may not fit but if you do hire a trailer make sure you check the tyres and the wheel bearings are tight had to hire one to get a patrol back from the bush once and it had balled tyres and loose wheel bearings that we had to tighten most standard trailers are not rated to carry a patrol

Finly Owner
13th March 2012, 10:38 PM
Ok, here's the guts of it for ya people;

Car Trailers are mostly 2000kg ATM (Aggergate Trailer Mass) = total trailer weight and load. Most of them weigh betwen 400-800kgs, leaving 1600-1200kg carrying capacity.

The tow vehicle and towbar must be able to carry 2000kg minimum.

Then you go up to a 3000kg car trailer which can usually carry 2000kgs on it. But, you now need 3000kg tow capability of towbar and vehicle as well as either in car electric brake controller or at least one set up on the trailer. (most hire companies still fit them on trailers and activate using stop light feed).

Then you have towing; Most towies now charge a hook up fee which starts at $60 + $2 per Km (with a minimum of 10) + gst.
So if you are doing a 100km trp it would cost $60+$200=$260+10%gst= $286 in total. Now some towies will actually charge both ways; some charge full price each way, and some half price one way full price the other.

Over loading trailers, can end up killing someone. A trailer can sway just from being loaded incorrectly, little alone overloaded. Insufficent brakes on trailers and towvehicle can also be deadly. Pleaseif you use car trailers, stick to max load limits and use capable tow vehicles and tow bars, tongues and balls. Prepare your self with good strong tie down ratchet straps or chains and dogs. Do not use rope as it nota legal tie down for vehicles.

Some stuff I know and am passionate about, and trailers, towing responsibilities, National Transport Regulations(Load Restraints) are something I keep up to date with.

Tim

FullFlxd
14th March 2012, 11:50 PM
Coming from lancelin I witnessed a F250 towing a Bronco which start swaying wildly!!!! It was close to tipping before the bloke slowed down. Most of the traffic stopped to watch if would topple. Traffic coming the opposite direction where trying to get away also.
Have towed a MQ swb on a car trailer with 97 Ford XR6 for15km. Told my mate it wasn't a good idea but he insisted it would be fine. His car wasn't the same ahahha

bogoor
15th March 2012, 12:10 AM
Always seems to raise a chuckle.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj129/bogoor/IMG_7109.jpg

Fity
15th March 2012, 12:24 PM
I have organised a tilt tray.

Jeepy and his unstoppable jeep. Nothing like a good Jeep-A-Pult. :clapping:

taslucas
15th March 2012, 12:28 PM
Hahaha awesome one lmao!!

tappa slappn about

iht2670
15th March 2012, 10:06 PM
Ok, here's the guts of it for ya people;

Car Trailers are mostly 2000kg ATM (Aggergate Trailer Mass) = total trailer weight and load. Most of them weigh betwen 400-800kgs, leaving 1600-1200kg carrying capacity.

The tow vehicle and towbar must be able to carry 2000kg minimum.

Then you go up to a 3000kg car trailer which can usually carry 2000kgs on it. But, you now need 3000kg tow capability of towbar and vehicle as well as either in car electric brake controller or at least one set up on the trailer. (most hire companies still fit them on trailers and activate using stop light feed).
Then you have towing; Most towies now charge a hook up fee which starts at $60 + $2 per Km (with a minimum of 10) + gst.
So if you are doing a 100km trp it would cost $60+$200=$260+10%gst= $286 in total. Now some towies will actually charge both ways; some charge full price each way, and some half price one way full price the other.

Over loading trailers, can end up killing someone. A trailer can sway just from being loaded incorrectly, little alone overloaded. Insufficent brakes on trailers and towvehicle can also be deadly. Pleaseif you use car trailers, stick to max load limits and use capable tow vehicles and tow bars, tongues and balls. Prepare your self with good strong tie down ratchet straps or chains and dogs. Do not use rope as it nota legal tie down for vehicles.

Some stuff I know and am passionate about, and trailers, towing responsibilities, National Transport Regulations(Load Restraints) are something I keep up to date with.

Tim

Get a Tilt Tray to Tow it ! I have seen 4 of these trailer accidents (car thrown off trailer tow car on roof in ditch trailer wrecked & not covered by insurance because of over loading ) in the last 18 months local cop reads tare weights & load capacities then gets out his book & writes tickets on top the mess these guys are in

Steve.

gu4500
23rd May 2012, 12:51 AM
Its all good until the vehicle being loaded lifts the tilt tray..... a mate runs a Hiace LWB work van and one time after it blew the 3L motor (it ran away on its own oil) it was so heavy as it got winched up the front wheels on the tow truck got very light..... he would have had a good 2 ton of gas cylinders, tools, compressors, etc in the van......

Another time trying to shortcut a diff change they tried to lift the back end to get jack stands in with a 2 ton forklift under the towbar, it struggled and cut out.....

DX grunt
23rd May 2012, 01:04 AM
Tilt tray option from me too. A lot safer and legal, with no stress attached.

Take care out there.

Rossco