PDA

View Full Version : White Pointer > Air con issue

White Pointer
12th March 2012, 06:23 PM
Gday all,

Just became a forum member from WA.

I have a GU/TI and i have an issue with air con > it stops cooling and just blows hot air on hotter days, i have had it to a number of air con mechanics but they havnt been able to fault it and tell me it could be the TX valve, a relay or sensor.

Can anyone please provide some advice or experienced this type of problem ?

Cheers White Pointer.

bazzad
12th March 2012, 09:18 PM
ok this one is a challenge, lots of things to check. Really need some a/c gauge readings to guess this one, but a couple of things may help. Check that the heater is not stuck on, Crimp the heater hose with some vice grips to stop the flow and see if gets cooler. When it is blowing hot make sure the clutch is disengaged. if it is that tells us it is more then likely gas/pressure related. This is where it gets hard because i am reluctant to get you playing with a system that incurrs big fines if you are not licenced to play with it. ( Up to $30 000.00) You should look for an ARC licenced workshop and they should be able to sort this out. If not they should not have the licence. Research "Australian Refrigeration Council" you should gets a list of places that can help you.
Sorry its not much help.
bazzad

White Pointer
12th March 2012, 11:22 PM
Gday Bazzad,

Cheers for your advice, the licensed air con guy said the same thing about the clutch. He couldn't get to fault today as the weather wasn't hot enough and he also said it could be a number of electrical issues.

Thanks heaps White Pointer.

Silver
12th March 2012, 11:32 PM
the tap that turns the hot water to the heater on and off, is sometimes in the engine bay - and you can see the plunger moving up and down in response to what is happening with the control at the dash. I guess from bazzad's advice that may not be the case on the GU. Also, I suppose the tap could look like it is working, but not be working....

Silver the GQ did something similar - except that rather than blow hot air, it blew cool air for a while, then ambient temp air. This was because the unit inside the cab iced up. This occured because the thermostat failed. I worked out it was icing up, because although blowing warm air, when I stopped for fuel, the aircon drain dripped heaps, and I got cool air when I got back in, because the ice had melted.

I suppose an aircon experts you have seen would have been right onto both of these points from the beginning.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing the solution!

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2012, 11:55 PM
The GU also have a sensor in the base of the radiator that reads the Engine water temp, if the engine starts to run too hot (Potentially Terminal) then it overrides the aircon and will blow Hot Air. Is your engine temp getting too high? if not then this sensor may well be stuffed?? ask the question at your Aircon man. Good luck mate

White Pointer
13th March 2012, 12:32 PM
Gday MudRunnerTD,

Cheers, my temp hasn't shifted from its norm but he did ask that question. I will keep u all posted. I really appreciate all the replies.

Cheers.

Yendor
13th March 2012, 07:35 PM
When it plays up next, check that the electric cooling fan/s are working.

What engine do you have?

Also, make sure there is no blockage (mud, grass) caught between the condenser and radiator.

Unless this problem only occurred after the A/C system was serviced or repaired I think MudRunner is on the money.

Not necessary poor cooling through the radiator but poor cooling through the A/C condenser, so it may not show up on the temperature gauge.