PDA

View Full Version : rear bump stops on 3" lift

simy
11th March 2012, 09:02 PM
Ok so i got suspension stuffs flexy kit installed on my GQ about 3 weeks ago. I took her out wheeling today and was cleaning the mud off underneath on the hoist and noticed that they put the bumpstops in the front instead of the rear. My question is, do i need to get them changed to the rear? This could get costly for me as i never actually told the place that fitted the kit the bumpstops needed to go in the rear. It's hard up here in townsville as almost everyone tries to rip you for anything you get done.

cheers for the help fellas,
Simo

MudRunnerTD
11th March 2012, 10:32 PM
Do you mean you have 80 series bump stops to go in? They should go in the front mate. They are fitted correctly. Look at fitting bump stops out of I think a Navara go straight in the back and give some benefit.

simy
11th March 2012, 10:51 PM
Do you mean you have 80 series bump stops to go in? They should go in the front mate. They are fitted correctly. Look at fitting bump stops out of I think a Navara go straight in the back and give some benefit.

I bought a set of bump stops when i bought the lift kit as i was told i needed them for the rear. So it's fine to have none in the back then? that would be sweet, means i can get the diff locker this week

MudRunnerTD
11th March 2012, 11:30 PM
No you will likely need something in the back mate. Just don't go jumping the thing. Have you got a pic of the bump stops that they fitted to the front?

You basically need to jack the car up and remove a rear spring then jack the axle up until the shock bottoms out to figure out if you need a bump stop extension. As I said though I have seen a Navara one bolted up and it looked sweet.

I have never got around to extending the back ones and it ain't good but I have got away with it so far. Give Shane a call at suspension stuff mate. He should know what he sold you??? Who fitted it all up?

Suspension stuff normally sell a front bump stop in their kit to run a longer front shocks looking for more flex.

simy
11th March 2012, 11:49 PM
cheers mate, i just emailed Shane, i'm sure he will give me a buzz tomorrow. Just curious as my GQ cops a hiding off road and is constantly at full flex on the tracks i got to, however i always take it slow.

Rogerthat
12th March 2012, 01:10 PM
You can buy bolt in bump stops for the rear as well (if shane didn't provide them in kit) - check out road runner offroad, about $120 from memory??

simy
12th March 2012, 07:05 PM
You can buy bolt in bump stops for the rear as well (if shane didn't provide them in kit) - check out road runner offroad, about $120 from memory??

They are the ones that got put in the front mate. Shane said today that it needs them in the back so its off to the shop tomorrow night to get it sorted. Pretty pissed off.

patrol_maverick
12th March 2012, 07:36 PM
Why are you changing bump stops anyway? I reckon you're better off with the standard ones. I've got a 6" lift and never hit the bump stops, and I really can't see the point having your suspension hitting a sudden stop at an earlier point within its upward travel. You're much better off letting the spring absorb the bumps instead of a small rubber block.

simy
12th March 2012, 08:26 PM
This is the email that i got from shane today, "They are needed in the rear more than in the front so it would be a great idea to change them to the rear to prevent damage to the shocks."

This is also of the suspension stuff website for the 3" flext kit, "The better option is to get some longer bump stops $110. Trim the rubber off your genuine bump stops, drill a 10mm hole and bolt them on. They are better because if you do bottom out hard, the new bump stops are far softer."

if this is wrong than let me know and i wont change it over, i just want to make sure im not damaging anything.

MudRunnerTD
13th March 2012, 12:47 AM
The reason you are changing the bump stops in because Shane sells a longer Shock than necessary for a 3" lift allowing for more Droop flex from a longer shock. This means though that the closed length of the shock is longer than the standard bump-stop safety and if you bottom out then the shock will be destroyed rather than the bump-stop limiting the travel of the suspension compression to protect the shock. ie. at full compression the shock will run out of travel before the bump-stop stops the spring and BANG! your Shock is terminal.

Rogerthat
13th March 2012, 02:20 PM
Mudrunner has hit the nail there - I'd definately get the rears sorted (i'd argue that you don't really need the front without superflex arms but that's just me). Be mindful that the bolt in bumpstops for front are different to those in rear (rear has a curved bracket to suit). There are other ways of doing this like welding some box section to the striker plate (diff side of bump stop) to effectively lengthen bumpstops if your struggling.

simy
13th March 2012, 10:57 PM
Well i dropped her off this arvo to have them taken out of the front and into the rear. cheers for all the advice it has helped me understand what they actually do.

Barney Rubble
15th March 2012, 07:52 PM
thanks guys... good bit of info here, helped me to understand more about getting more droop flex too.