PDA

View Full Version : GU 2003 Auto ZD30 dead???

jimbobba2773
11th March 2012, 07:29 PM
Hi all again,

I've quickly introduced myself in the 'Introductions' sections but really want to ask a question on what people think of the problem I have. My wife was driving home today and basically the Patrol 2003 Turbo diesel just lost power and died with no strange sound or smoke (what she can remember). I've had it towed to a local mechanic and they will have a look in the morning but I hoping its not a blown engine or something bad. We did try to turn over the engine and it would make a starting noise but nothing would turn over. It sounded from the turbo area or the front of the engine. Sorry I don't know much more as my wife tried to remember what exactly happened. Any ideas on what it could be would be great, just to get an idea?

Thanks in advance!!!

Stropp
11th March 2012, 07:40 PM
Does not sound good mate, leave it for the pro to fix sounds expensive but fingers crossed.

jimbobba2773
11th March 2012, 07:47 PM
The other thing too is that I had a service booked for it on Thursday this week - just my luck.

Yendor
11th March 2012, 08:00 PM
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't sound like a typical blown engine. Normally the symptoms are something like.....I was driving along, there was this loud noise the truck lost power, engine was running rough and was blowing lots of black smoke.

We did try to turn over the engine and it would make a starting noise but nothing would turn over.

Was this a clicking type noise? did you try jump starting it?

To me it sounds like it could be something as simple as a dead alternator and a flat battery.

Hopefully the problem is something cheap and easily repaired.

Kind regards

Rodney

wet & windy
11th March 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Jim,I have a 2001 3ltr td and i had to have the fuel pump replaced recently and it went just died like this.Towed van to caravan park all ok,parked car up for 24hrs then moved car to different spot approx 50mts away,and then it just died.There was no warning,car was running fine it but just would not start.. Bad news as it cost me nearly $7000 inc new injectors.

outbackjack
12th March 2012, 12:00 AM
Where are you? Maybe someone here can have a look? Maybe with scan tool?

Sir Roofy
12th March 2012, 09:15 AM
could be the injector pump mate of mine, gu has the same problem been thru any deep crossings car washes of late

jimbobba2773
12th March 2012, 04:11 PM
Update,

The timing chain isn't spinning and could be that broken or a chainguide/pulley busted. Got it at a local workshop who are going to take it apart to see what the total damage is. Had quotes to get the motor rebuilt or even replaced. Can ppl suggest what the best thing to do? I'm located in Penrith and have some good shops around.

Though I was ahead but then this.... Life throws some fun at ya!

jimbobba2773
13th March 2012, 01:49 PM
I've since heard some news about our patrol and appears the engine seems to be okay but a problem with the auto/transmission around the driveplate. I've looked around on the net and found one article about a problem with the flexplate and torque converter which sounded similar to our problem when my wife was driving it just lost all power and stopped. You can turn the key but it sounds like something is just spinning but not starting the motor. It doesn't even tick over, only this high pitch spinning noise of some going for it (sorry for the not technical description). They did open up the engine and doesn't appear to be major damage and the oil/condition of the front of the motor was great (the mechanic was telling me, like new!) - so hoping for something that is broken and can be replaced easily but still optimistic.

Sir Roofy
13th March 2012, 02:05 PM
I've since heard some news about our patrol and appears the engine seems to be okay but a problem with the auto/transmission around the driveplate. I've looked around on the net and found one article about a problem with the flexplate and torque converter which sounded similar to our problem when my wife was driving it just lost all power and stopped. You can turn the key but it sounds like something is just spinning but not starting the motor. It doesn't even tick over, only this high pitch spinning noise of some going for it (sorry for the not technical description). They did open up the engine and doesn't appear to be major damage and the oil/condition of the front of the motor was great (the mechanic was telling me, like new!) - so hoping for something that is broken and can be replaced easily but still optimistic.

this is going to be interesting --could be a sencer of some kind
that kills the motor mmmmmm the plot thinkens

Stropp
13th March 2012, 02:07 PM
sounds to me like the starter motor is spinning and not engaging the flywheel?? but there must be some other problem as well to cause it to stop in the first place.

jimbobba2773
13th March 2012, 06:58 PM
Update!!

The Flex-plate has broken in the middle, the spacer that it connects to the torque converter has completely come off and was just spinning around. So I need to get a new Flex-plate, spacer, recon the torque converter or get a new one plus some seals. I've messaged Nizzbits but does anyone know where else to get the parts from except Nissan which are pricey?

outbackjack
14th March 2012, 12:26 AM
First I have heard of a flex plate broken. look on ebay, sometimes cheap autos come up

wet & windy
17th March 2012, 06:12 PM
any luck in getting this fixed?don't know if this helps as mine is a manual but i have had the clutch replaced with a holden clutch.mechanic said this was fine and worked out a lot cheaper than a nissan one.

jimbobba2773
19th March 2012, 01:36 PM
It's in the middle of getting put back together ATM. Hopefully nothing else is wrong but I have to wait and see. Will let people know what happens next.

rusty_nail
19th March 2012, 01:41 PM
good stuff mate, im glad to hear its progressing, and at least it isnt a blown motor!

jimbobba2773
20th March 2012, 02:17 PM
Update - I've been told the total damage and the cost to me has been just over 2K. The flexplate and spacers have been replaced, starter motor has been rebuilt as it was dis-engaging and the torque converter was rebuilt as well. Going to pick her up later today but been assured its running sweet now. Thank god that the motor wasn't damaged at all and I've had a service done too. Pretty happy its back on the road and the wife will be happy too.

taslucas
20th March 2012, 02:19 PM
Good to hear mate. Happy motoring :-)

tappa slappn about

Sir Roofy
20th March 2012, 02:39 PM
Update - I've been told the total damage and the cost to me has been just over 2K. The flexplate and spacers have been replaced, starter motor has been rebuilt as it was dis-engaging and the torque converter was rebuilt as well. Going to pick her up later today but been assured its running sweet now. Thank god that the motor wasn't damaged at all and I've had a service done too. Pretty happy its back on the road and the wife will be happy too.

glad to hear your mobile again

wet & windy
20th March 2012, 08:52 PM
good to hear the troll's fixed.got mine back today from the mechanic shop, they just had to replace a exhaust manifold bolt and no noisy motor.

Nixon
21st March 2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Buddy, Sounds very familair. I was driving on the highway, heard a bang, felt a shudder, thought blow out, pulled up and all tyres were ok. Restarted car, engine starting but not engaging. Towed back to mechanic - pulled auto transmission apart -very ugly - looks like some one has thrown in a hand grenade - not up with technical lingo but I think that its the torque convertor that is shattered. Awaiting parts. Thinking that I will take camera in tomorrow and work out how to load photos onto this site - may be useful to someone. Like you, dont need that type of expense right now. Interested if anyone knows what could cause such carnage ?
Cheers, Nixon

Evo4x4
14th May 2012, 08:16 PM
Same with me. Stopped all of a sudden. Broken drive plate ($650) broken Spigot ($1,000), rebuild of torque converter ($1500 - a new one is over $2,500) and about 1000bucks labour. Not happy, given I have also done an engine and then an injector pump. The Zd30 is officially a lemon.
One of my clued in mates explained that the drive plate, which is meant to have some flex in it, can develop cracks in it, which when under some load (towing and hard gear changes etc) can cause it to just blow up. There is no inspection panel on the Patrol that would allow you to have a peek and see how things look. Not unusual for the bolts on the drive plate to come loose and basically you have a spinning grenade waiting to blow.