PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a 3 litre turbo diesel

ronderooy
12th September 2010, 01:16 PM
Hi am a first time member, am rebuilding a 3 litre turbo diesel ,are there some things that i need to be atchful of if anything let me know regards

patch697
12th September 2010, 01:37 PM
G/day ronderooy & welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post here so it will get a better response.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
12th September 2010, 01:54 PM
Why are you rebuilding it, Is it worn out or did it grenade? If it grenaded then you need to take care of what caused it so you don't have to rebuild it again next year.
I can't offer anything specific about the rebuild as I've not rebuilt one myself.

Tony

Edit; just saw your post in old timers intro, sounds like it may have grenaded. You'll know if it has when you get the head off. If it has holes in the pistons, it's gone boom!

kevjulie
12th September 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi There, I am new to so keep us updated with your progress as I am interested to hear how it goes.

justrocho
3rd March 2011, 01:40 AM
buy genuine head studs and gasket check you get correct thickness if you machine block and head. all head services in melburne assambled new head was cheap bout 1300.for tourquing head bolts i mounted a degree wheel on long impact socket.you need to make a setting bolt to remove timing gear.on front timing cover note screw in plug. tdcc three sizzer gears align. check manual for size . i started with 8mm plane shank bolt bout 60mm long ran m6 butten die on one end and with file emery and drill machined lol to bout 7-7.5mm with a slight taper. dont pull the c clip off the sizzer gear like i did or you will need to make more tools to put that back together eventhough nissan say you cant. My big end and mains were well in spec and in good shape and was happy to reuse. carfully lable and store ,. get injector pump checked and injectrs cleaned.have to remove gbox to remove sump as some d----ead put bolts acroos back lol
remove oil nozzels under pistons so not to damage when removing pistons/rods. mine were diff to ones in manual so look as you remove or search the shed floor for 6 hours for nothing like i did.check out mods listed on page and go for it. clean and torque on main saddle before boring hone opperation.take photos as you go there is lots to try remember as it goes back together.have fun andrew.