PDA

View Full Version : My windscreen has developed a big gap in the rubber seal - help.

mavis
10th March 2012, 09:09 PM
I have a 1990 GQ. The rubber around the edge of the windscreen on the inside has ???shrunk, so that there is now a 2cm gap just above the dashboard on the driver's side, which you can poke a stick through (and which rain comes through). Also, the vinyl lining the inside of the car on the sides of the windscreen seems to have been dragged downwards and forwards - it's like my windscreen is moving.

Anyone had this problem, and how do I fix it?

A

97_gq_lwb
10th March 2012, 10:32 PM
Buy a new windscreen rubber and have it fitted.
Been meaing to do this myself i did see oversized ones on ebay for about $89 anybody used one and got any feedback

Silver
10th March 2012, 10:41 PM
Silver's had 2mm gaps on the bottom, both sided, and the screen had a couple of bullseyes and a repaired crack.

$300 for a new screen and rubber, fitted by a crowd at Geebung, Brisbane Northside.

Winnie
11th March 2012, 01:28 AM
I had gaps in mine, one in the driver's side and one on the passenger's. Get it fixed ASAP!!! Ended up costing me over a grand because water ran down it and into the ECU of my Patrol and buggered it. Exact same thing happened to my brother-in-law, he's looking for a new ECU at the moment.

Silver
11th March 2012, 01:42 AM
and if no ECU to worry about, will wet the floor covering and create rust rust rust if left long enough

canuck
11th March 2012, 05:29 AM
Both of my Y60s developed 1-2cm gaps on the lower left-hand corner. I fixed them both with a bit of black silicon seal. I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol using a Qtip and injected it right through. Then I smoothed it into form using a popsicle stick. It has been two years of rain, snow and tempo extremes from -25C to +35C and I have not had it leak or break apart. When I am ready for new glass I will replace the seal.

Robo
12th March 2012, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=mavis;197949]I have a 1990 GQ. The rubber around the edge of the windscreen on the inside has ???shrunk, so that there is now a 2cm gap just above the dashboard on the driver's side, which you can poke a stick through (and which rain comes through). Also, the vinyl lining the inside of the car on the sides of the windscreen seems to have been dragged downwards and forwards - it's like my windscreen is moving.

Anyone had this problem, and how do I fix it?

Sound like you need a new seal.
The drag marks on vinyl is a result of the windscreen being removed and refitted.
a pull-cord is run around rubber seal to aid reinstall screen and has stretched vinyl out of position.
I was thinking of removing mine to fix exact same problem.
Have a insurance policy of 1 new screen a year and it needs replacing, so 3 birds at once.
remove screen and fix vinyl back in place with contact adhesive.
policy dont include the seal or vinyl repair.

Cheers Robo

andys MQ
14th March 2012, 01:31 AM
you can also just get the seal replaced and put your windscreen back in if it is ok. but i do like the idea of the black sika flex it would be a good easy fix.

Silver
14th March 2012, 05:38 AM
The windscreen repair bloke said that GQ factory and aftermarket seals are meant to work without mastic or sikka or another kind of sealant - and they are also designed to drain water away.

He went on to say that if the new seal and screen they fitted leaked, they would fill it up with sealant.

I haven't looked to see where or how they drain, but canuck looks to have had a succesful repair, just working on and around the actual gap. That makes sense to me if the screen is ok, and I'll be doing something similar with the back barn door window rubbers, I think.

mavis
14th March 2012, 08:04 PM
Yep, I think I'll do the black silicon repair on mine. The windscreen hasn't fallen out yet, so I suppose no need to replace seal and by doing so add to the cost of keeping the old girl running!

Currently dealing with "steering wobble" issues, which I hope will be fixed by panhard rod bushes, but could obviously escalate to the whole suspension system, so I'd like to keep the windscreen issue simple. We initially used chewy, then silicon, but it continues to shrink. More silicon is the cheapest option.

A

bordertech
15th March 2012, 12:18 AM
The windscreen repair bloke said that GQ factory and aftermarket seals are meant to work without mastic or sikka or another kind of sealant - and they are also designed to drain water away.

He went on to say that if the new seal and screen they fitted leaked, they would fill it up with sealant.

I haven't looked to see where or how they drain, but canuck looks to have had a succesful repair, just working on and around the actual gap. That makes sense to me if the screen is ok, and I'll be doing something similar with the back barn door window rubbers, I think.Yes the GQ's have drain tubes in the A pillars. You can see them at the bottom of each A pillar if you remove the cowl panel. They can get blocked too and makes water back up the pillar and leak into the cabin.

Cheers, bordertech

mavis
16th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Hmmm. I'll have a look, as we do get some "Random leaking" into the cabin on the passenger side somewhere under the glove box.