PDA

View Full Version : Howling noise from front of engine

JZX91-2JZ
10th March 2012, 08:06 PM
Hi Guys,

New on here.... my dad has a 1994 tb42s gq manual swb patrol and weve been hearing a howling noise under acceleration from about 2000rpm upwards this noise occurs no matter if your in gear changing gear or in neutral revving the engine.

The noise seems to be predominatly coming from the front of the engine I am GUESSING it is either the fan clutch and/or water pump.

I cant see it being driveline related (eg gearbox/diff).

Can any one shed any light on the subject?

Thanks

Sam

NissanGQ4.2
10th March 2012, 09:11 PM
Hi Sam

Post up an intro about your dad and his rig when you get a chance, some members may not answer questions without seeing an intro posted first.

Cheers

Todd

97_gq_lwb
10th March 2012, 09:28 PM
Take the fan belts off one at a time and see if the noise goes away the airconditioning pump bearing is a common one to go in most cars

JZX91-2JZ
10th March 2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks.

The noise is present with or without the air con on. Are you suggesting it could be the A/C idler thats faulty or the actual bearings in the compressor pulley?

97_gq_lwb
10th March 2012, 09:57 PM
yes just take the fan belt off it's a simple way to eliminate it the bearings in the compressor pulley fail.

JZX91-2JZ
15th March 2012, 12:53 AM
Problem was a part of the rad shroud came loose and was hitting on the fan blades. Thanks for your help.