PDA

View Full Version : auto or manual

blackhooded
10th March 2012, 04:47 PM
i now it up to the driver but is 1 better then the other will 1 give more power :thumbup:

sparra 1
10th March 2012, 05:12 PM
G'day mate my own apinion if your gunna be doin a bit of 4wd id rather a manual feels like you have more control over the car but thats just me. i no that another member ( roofy ) had an auto not sure what happend to it but i dont thinks it ended nice have a chat to him . cheers i assume you have a nissan patrol

blackhooded
10th March 2012, 05:32 PM
not yet look at upgrading to a gu patrol and like to hear the apinion of people how drive them

taslucas
10th March 2012, 06:58 PM
Ho mate, have a look around, theres quite a few threads with info on manual vs auto.
In my opinion, auto is way better for 4wding.

Lucas

the evil twin
10th March 2012, 07:01 PM
Will one give more power than the other? No

Is one better than the other? Yes, Autos are head and shoulders better off road and in the case of ZD30's you can probably add in onroad as well.

The oft quoted issues of poor performance for really steep descents with an Auto is easily overcome by driver techniques, different ratios or a manual torque converter lock up mod (costs about $20 in it's simplest form) or a combination of the 3.

I've had 4 patrols now, petty and diesel and the Auto GQ with a TC lock up switch was easily the best and most controllable off road. You could idle up to most challenges that the manual trucks had to hit at pace to maintain momentum.

My current truck is a manual and I love it to bits but would swap an Auto for the Manual tranny in a heartbeat.

Bigrig
10th March 2012, 10:27 PM
Will one give more power than the other? No

Is one better than the other? Yes, Autos are head and shoulders better off road and in the case of ZD30's you can probably add in onroad as well.

The oft quoted issues of poor performance for really steep descents with an Auto is easily overcome by driver techniques, different ratios or a manual torque converter lock up mod (costs about $20 in it's simplest form) or a combination of the 3.

I've had 4 patrols now, petty and diesel and the Auto GQ with a TC lock up switch was easily the best and most controllable off road. You could idle up to most challenges that the manual trucks had to hit at pace to maintain momentum.

My current truck is a manual and I love it to bits but would swap an Auto for the Manual tranny in a heartbeat.

Listen to him, he's a very cluey lad!! And yes, I have an auto!! lmao

NissanGQ4.2
10th March 2012, 11:03 PM
Listen to him, he's a very cluey lad!! And yes, I have an auto!! lmao

X 3, even if he ignores ur PM's 2 him *L* and I love my auto'

the evil twin
11th March 2012, 01:48 AM
X 3, even if he ignores ur PM's 2 him *L* and I love my auto'

ROFL... your only about the 3rd person whose ever sent me any

Anyway, back on topic, I might add that you have to learn how to drive an auto as well. They are a different animal to a manual. It's not hard as such, just need to get your head around the different ratios and how the Torque Converter can be a friend one minute and an enemy the next if you let them suck the power away below converter stall speed.

My first beach outing in an auto was a tad embarrassing and as Forrest Gumps says "thats all I have to say about that".

blackhooded
11th March 2012, 01:04 PM
ROFL... your only about the 3rd person whose ever sent me any

Anyway, back on topic, I might add that you have to learn how to drive an auto as well. They are a different animal to a manual. It's not hard as such, just need to get your head around the different ratios and how the Torque Converter can be a friend one minute and an enemy the next if you let them suck the power away below converter stall speed.

My first beach outing in an auto was a tad embarrassing and as Forrest Gumps says "thats all I have to say about that".

thank, so more power no. but if you have torque converter locked can you stall them

the evil twin
11th March 2012, 04:28 PM
thank, so more power no. but if you have torque converter locked can you stall them

Hi mate,

My bad, I wasn't exactly clear, I was talking about the Torque Converter (TC) Stall Speed. Very complex subject actually and way beyond me to explain properly. Until TC stall speed it sorta works like slipping the clutch in a manual which is why ther can be an impression that there is a difference in power

Regards vehicle stalling, if you have a GU or a GQ with a higher pressure valve body and lock the TC, yes, you will stall the engine if you brake to a stop or lock the rear. GQ standard 1st gear valve bodies don't have a high enough pressure.

Another nifty mod in the GU Auto's is to change out the Line Pressure Dropping Resistor (phew). It will give you a nice sharp change. Be a tad wary tho and google is your friend. Guys like Chaz have devoted a lot of effort to tweaking the Auto's and for a professional opinion then call Wholesale Automatics in Melbourne who are a terrific resource . They race the Nissan Auto's in comp.