PDA

View Full Version : what is needed to change gq steering box to gu box

Mazodude
10th March 2012, 03:15 PM
I have a 93 GQ and was looking to change to a GU steering box.
What do I need to change for the GQ to accept this or is it just bolt on?

Thanks

Bigrig
10th March 2012, 04:10 PM
Straight bolt on mate - did it myself when I was in Melbourne with the lads at Christmas .. took Patch and I a bit longer due to getting the banjo fittings back on, but a straight fit none the less ...

Mazodude
10th March 2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks Bigrig.

Any pic of where it is located?
Also is there a big difference/ is it worth it?

Bigrig
10th March 2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks Bigrig.

Any pic of where it is located?
Also is there a big difference/ is it worth it?

Hey mate,

It's located at the front driver side of the engine bay, attached to the chassis. Not sure how shot my old box was, so that's my disclaimer, but the difference in ease of steering, responsiveness etc was more than noticeable - about $260 for the box and allow about 2-3 hours for swap over ...

More than happy to help you with it also - you aren't that far from me, so offer is there. I'm sure others would be up for a day on the tools at someone's house also!!

Mazodude
10th March 2012, 05:33 PM
yea that sound great bigrig. Might have to organise a time some time soon.
There are some boxes on fleabay for about $305.
Where else should I look for the steering box?

Just fixing up some other stuff before I go and change anything. Getting a snorkel on next Sat :D

Bigrig
10th March 2012, 06:23 PM
yea that sound great bigrig. Might have to organise a time some time soon.
There are some boxes on fleabay for about $305.
Where else should I look for the steering box?

Just fixing up some other stuff before I go and change anything. Getting a snorkel on next Sat :D

Too easy boss - PM your mobile and I'll call to organise ...

Not sure where I got mine but it was in Bayswater (Hall4x4 ???? Help me Vic lads!!! lol) and from memory it was mid (ish) two hundreds ... definitely not over $300 ... but that said, for the cost of freight, probably worth it to get it locally.

the evil twin
10th March 2012, 06:32 PM
I thought they bolted on but the Pitman Arm and the tie rod tapers were different between GQ and GU steering assy's so you needed a GU tie rod end to match the taper and/or adjustable draglink to set up the geometry.

HammerBuilder
13th March 2012, 11:16 AM
I thought they bolted on but the Pitman Arm and the tie rod tapers were different between GQ and GU steering assy's so you needed a GU tie rod end to match the taper and/or adjustable draglink to set up the geometry.

Good question ET I was under the same delusion, got told same as you wrote different taper but would b gr8 to know 100% for sure.

bordertech
13th March 2012, 11:00 PM
Just need an adjustable drag link with a GU tapered rod end at the the Pitman arm end and GQ tapered rod end at the knuckle end. The Draglink has to go in the top of the GU pitman arm too, not from underneath like the GQ.
Cheers, bordertech

the evil twin
13th March 2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks sudso... a fountain of valuable info as usual.

Beer would be better but meah valuable info is acceptable :devilred:

Mazodude
15th March 2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys, well definitely have a look at doing this. Even though a fair bit of it is over my head :confused:

Bigrig
15th March 2012, 09:59 AM

True - I have one and forgot about that bit ..

Even then, the tapered hole is slightly different on the pitman arms and you need a GU or GQ specific knuckle end on the drag link.