PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 Diesel Good or Bad ?

iht2670
8th March 2012, 10:14 PM
Was the 2.8 a good reliable engine ? or no good because of power ?

97_gq_lwb
9th March 2012, 12:17 AM
The 2.8 is known as the crackhead.
I wound the fuel and boost up on one and thought it was fine liked to rev got along better then a non turbo 4.2
Just didn't have much in the way of lower rpm torque but above 2000rpm it was fine.

the ferret
9th March 2012, 02:34 AM
Yeah, not a bad motor, they do crack heads if they overheat, so do most others.
You need to change timing belt and tensioner like any other but the main thing is keep an eye on the harmonic balancer.
Block the EGR for a bit more grunt and add two stroke to the fuel, keep up on the services and it will look after you.
Cheers, the ferret.

Ian2011
9th March 2012, 06:54 PM
AS someone who currently owns a 2.8TD, I quite like the car and like Feret said 'watch out for the harmonic balancer bolt'. My engine is currently in Melb getting rebuilt as the cost to remove, rebuild, and refit the crankshaft (second time occurring) was so high I decided to go the whole hog and get everything rebuilt except fot the turbo, (that will be later). If you want to drag people off at the lights don't buy one, if you are happy to curise around then get it. it will be just as reliable as any other car if you look after it.

PS: Fitted diesel gas system to mine prior to harmonic balancer deciding to ruin my bank balance, and was extremely happy with the power output after that. Now I wait for rebuilt engine. (hopefully Tuesday)

Smokey2.8
9th March 2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah, not a bad motor, they do crack heads if they overheat, so do most others.
You need to change timing belt and tensioner like any other but the main thing is keep an eye on the harmonic balancer.
Block the EGR for a bit more grunt and add two stroke to the fuel, keep up on the services and it will look after you.
Cheers, the ferret.

Well said. As another 2.8 owner and having had issues you need to go in with eyes wide open. Make sure it gets and has been serviced well. Heads and balancer bolt give trouble if not attended to. Once tuned and running well they really do perform and go well, plus sound great doing it with a Exhuast.

itchyvet
10th March 2012, 09:55 PM
As a 2.8 GU Y61 owner myself, luv the bloody thing.
Have lpg fumigation fitted giving me an extra 30 horses when I need them. The system was fitted with majority of cost covered by Federal and State subsidies.
I can highly recommend is REGULAR SERVICING in accordance with Nissan manual. The issue of recommended coolant changes at recommended intervals with Nissan coolant, is IMHO, a major issue if you wish to avoid costly head replacements.The issue of Nissan coolant is very important, as it is an ORGANIC coolant and thus heavily reduces the likelihood of corrosion of metals within the head,gasket/block. A NON organic coolant WILL cause corrosion on all the aforegoing, and thus a blown head gasket/cracked head/ect. As ahead replacement job will set you back in the vicinity of $4,000, this is a serious concern. So be advised.
I suspect with the ages of majority of 2.8's on the road today, many are getting a few K's under the belt, and unless meticuously serviced, you really need to watch the radiators for external blockaging between the coolant radiator and the A/C condensor, as the space in between is only half an inch and most difficult to see if it's blocked with mud and crap.
IF, it's blocked, your cooling capacity will be seriously effected and thus the head issue will arise sooner or later if not already compromised, IF this is the case, your temp guage will give you NO INDICATION whatever there's anything wrong until she blows her top, and then it's too bloody late.
The timing belt, IMHO MUST be replaced regularly, (every 100,000 K's) if the previous owners claims it's been done, ask for invoices to substantiate, if can't provide them, steer away from it. When the timing belt is done, IF it's done PROPERLY, Nissan provides a kit that contains the belt,tension bearings,ect and it's a good time to also replace the front crankshaft oil seal whilst your working in there, bugger to do so again 6 months later when she blows.
Other then all they above, I'm very happy with my 2.8 liter Patrol.
The one thing I'm most happy about her, is the economy, excellent, beats the 3 liter every time hands down, the 4.2 doesn't even come close.
For anyone considering fitting an lpg system to their diesel, be advised the gas converter collects gunk from the internal of the hoses used in the system and will over a few years, (3) eventually accumilate enough to block the flow of enough gas, it's hard stuff to clean out, I ditched the whole thing and fitted a new one, so be advised.
This can be avoided by using metal tubing in the instalation. Dunno why they don't use it in the first place though.

John2.8
15th March 2012, 09:55 PM
I all so have a 2.8 Patrol 1998 GU orginal owner.
Car has done 480k Km and at the present the engine is getting its first full rebuilt after cracking the Sercond Cylinder Head. My thoughts are it is worth the rebuild probably costing arround $10,000 but the Patrol drives great and I still love to drive it.
All warning above are to be watched as Radiator and coolent are very impotant and yes REGULAR SERVICING!!!!
Are also doing exhaust with this rebuild hoping it make some difference low to mid revs.