PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild and NADS, will it last?

Fity
8th March 2012, 11:39 AM
I am looking at buying a ZD30 GU with a dead motor. If I rebuild it and give it some NADS will it last for many years as a diesel should or would the extra $$ be worth spending on a TD42 upgrade?

macca86
8th March 2012, 12:08 PM
if you get the dead one at the right price may as well do the conversion if not I wouldn't rebuild the dead motor I'd look for a low km 03 or later zd30 then do nads and should be good for years if serviced and looked after

Fity
8th March 2012, 04:42 PM
That is what I was thinking. A rebuild is around 1/2 the $$ of the TD42 conversion and much simpler.

Has anyone blown up a ZD30 after fitting NADS? or after a rebuild and NADS? I must say I have read a lot of posts and I can't remember coming across anyone who has.

Sir Roofy
8th March 2012, 04:53 PM
that is what i was thinking. A rebuild is around 1/2 the $$ of the td42 conversion and much simpler.

Has anyone blown up a zd30 after fitting nads? Or after a rebuild and nads? I must say i have read a lot of posts and i can't remember coming across anyone who has.

as yet havnt heard of any blown motors after the n.a.d.s have been done
my zd30 runs a lot better after doing them and all temps are reasonable at present

Fity
8th March 2012, 05:06 PM
How many km's have you done with NADS?

Sir Roofy
8th March 2012, 05:09 PM
Just over 5k

the evil twin
8th March 2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, there have been some failures after NADS modifications. There was a post about two weeks back on another forum from a bloke who did NADS a couple of years ago and his blew last month.

The problem is that noone will ever know if it was damage pre NADS, damage post NADS but that would have occured anyway, a combination thereof or something totally different.

There is so much "mate of a mate" info out there that i is almost impossible to tell these days.

Personally I fail to see the point of NADS post series 3 'cept for a placebo feel good effect. IE if you fit NADS and it doesn't blow up was that because of NADS or because it was never going to blow anyway. If it does blow then NADS did squat. If you do fit NADS what is the problem with the series 3 and up you are trying to address

For every blown ZD30 there are 100's perhaps 1000's who haven't and that includes the series 1's and 2's still chugging around out there quite happily and stock as a rock.

Rebuild it, Boost, EGT, EGR block and a decent temp gauge, keep an eye on the MAF and it should go for yoinks IMHO

Sir Roofy
8th March 2012, 06:21 PM
Well said mate ,there are lots of zd30s running about my next door nieghbour has one the chap 5doors down has one
the chap behind me has one all stock standard ,they just love,m and mine love it too but did the nads for peace of mind
but if it blows ? It was destand to do so if not,ill be happy to get a good run out of it

Yendor
8th March 2012, 06:34 PM
If it was me and I bought a GU with a blown engine (holed pistons) up to series 4, I would not rebuild it.

My understanding is that the oil galleries were changed sometime in the series 2 or 3.

I would be looking at getting a crate engine from someone like Nizzbits.

Fity
8th March 2012, 07:42 PM
I totally agree, there is no guarantee that it want going to blow up on monday and NADS was fitted the weekend before and now prolonged it.

A create motor sounds good, but what are they worth and will all the 2000 GU bits fit on?

A TD42 create motor would be good!