PDA

View Full Version : offroadmafia's new GU8 has arrived

gowalkabout.com.au
8th March 2012, 09:38 AM
After several weeks wait I have finnally picked up the new rig (a nice shiny black one as the kids said) last night. So far very happy with it :animierte-smilies-t
once i work out how to put up photos on here, will start the build up shots.

Bigrig
8th March 2012, 09:51 AM
Outstanding mate ... look forward to the happy snaps!!

Maxhead
8th March 2012, 11:09 AM
Cool man! you won't be disappointed

Tweakedoffroad
8th March 2012, 01:22 PM
Awesome can't wait to check it out what mods have you got in mind

AB
8th March 2012, 01:35 PM
Good stuff mate, just click on go advanced at the bottom of were you type posts and then click on the paper clip symbol to upload photos.

gowalkabout.com.au
8th March 2012, 03:23 PM
thanks AB hope this works

rusty_nail
8th March 2012, 03:24 PM
looks solid mate, very tough. you gonna tint those windows like a mofo? lol

gowalkabout.com.au
8th March 2012, 03:34 PM
List of mods to come once i sell the Defender

Icom uhf (currently in cupboard)
full length rack (currently at the powder coaters)
Bar/rock slider and winch
roof console
rear bar with twin wheel carriers
2in lift
spotties
dvd players for the kids
sat nav
dual batteries
draws and cargo barrier

i'm sure there will be alot more but thats all i can think of for now

taslucas
8th March 2012, 03:58 PM
Looking sweeeet as man!

Lucas

Maxhead
8th March 2012, 06:43 PM
Forgot to ask. Manual or auto?

gowalkabout.com.au
8th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Auto (the mrs won't drive manual)

growler2058
8th March 2012, 08:16 PM
Very cool mate will be mega tuff with the mods yav got planned.......nice

BearGUST
8th March 2012, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a good reason to get a manual!

Nice rig!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dbcgra

45/70
12th March 2012, 11:50 AM
Very nice, will be a plick to keep clean but.:wink:

Waka
17th March 2012, 08:51 AM
Well done on the new bus and good on you for getting black. Unfortunately there are not a lot of colours to choose from but i went for the Gold. My current GU is white so i didn't another white, not that i don't like it, i just wanted something different. I thought about black but was worried it would show up the scratches too much and every second car on the road is silver so i avoided it. so that left me with GOLD! wife says only old men drive gold cars....I'm not so sure now...maybe i should have got black.

i look forward to see how yours looks with all the new bits added. Which 2" lift are you going for? I'm thinking Tough Dogs.

Waka

gowalkabout.com.au
18th March 2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah i went for black for the same reasons you went gold would be good if they added a few more colours to the range. Why do you need 2 different whites?
As for the lift I'm still unsure but will be either OME or tough dog. I think it may all come down to who offers the better package deal to kit out the whole rig. Unfortunately I still need to sell my defender to fund the build.

Waka
18th March 2012, 12:20 PM
I’m not convinced on the Tough Dog and would certainly consider OME. The 4wd and camping super show is on up here next month and no doubt they will have special show prices on so I might wait till then to decide. The new car is a few a weeks away so I have time to shop around however I have ordered it with 33” tyres so I will need to add the lift straight away.

I’ll let you know how I go.

Waka

lets go
18th March 2012, 05:11 PM
Nice.... I'd go OME Ive got tuff dog, yep they are tuff but unless you get adjustables or plan on driving around fully loaded all the time you might want a kidney belt, mine are the 41mm foam cell
My mate has OME and every time I go for a ride in his patrol I wish I had of save myself some $$$$ and went with OME.

gowalkabout.com.au
19th March 2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the info lets go. Always good to hear others experiences. I think I'm leaning more towards the OME as I have had them before on other rigs and was happy with them

Waka
21st March 2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah thanks Lets Go. I have heard that as well. ARB are doing a big of work on the car before I pick it up so I might go with OME as well. I’m guessing by your comment they may be cheaper than Tough Dog?

taslucas
21st March 2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah i went for black for the same reasons you went gold would be good if they added a few more colours to the range. Why do you need 2 different whites?
As for the lift I'm still unsure but will be either OME or tough dog. I think it may all come down to who offers the better package deal to kit out the whole rig. Unfortunately I still need to sell my defender to fund the build.

Just to make it a bit more confusing....a mate has the adjustable Rancho shocks(they are nearly identical to tuff dog) and his rides absolutely beautifully. Dial them to "2" ( the second softest) and they allow awesome wheel travel. He has a 3 inch lift.
Put them on the hardest and there's bugger all bodyroll on the blacktop( he has no sway bars either)
I am going the Rancho when I upgrade...decisions, decisions!!

tappa slappn about

taslucas
21st March 2012, 01:58 PM
I have a vid of my mates to have a look at the wheel travel. It's the maroon mav in the video thread "a paddock somewhere" or "amateur comp day"....one or the other lol

tappa slappn about

Waka
22nd March 2012, 09:16 PM
don't make it harder for me...I'm planning on going to both ARB and Tough Dog and telling them what i want and see who does the best sell job on me. considering price, warranty and what best suits my needs. I’m probably splitting hairs and won’t be too far wrong either way.

Waka

Oversize
23rd March 2012, 12:54 AM
Looks great. I have the 06 white, and the side steps. Had to take them off and work on the brackets though. Mine were not primed and the rust was making a mess of them. Might pay to see if yours were treated or put on without any rust protection. Because mine were not treated there was an embarrasing amount of rust spotting starting on the underbody around where the brackets secure to the body so I gave that a touch up too.

Cheers, Louise

gowalkabout.com.au
17th April 2012, 04:26 PM
Ok the old defender has finally been sold this arvo :biggrin:

Now i need some help. I have got my quotes from ARB, TJM and OL and the total between them isn't much so am now unsure who to go thru so am hoping that some of you may be able to help my decision with your thoughts and experiance.
I am looking to start the build with
-winch bar
-winch 12000lb with rope
-snorkel
-brush bars and steps
-dual batteries
-2" lift (OME or tough dog)
-roof console
- side by side draws with fridge slide
-cargo barrier
-awning
-rear bar with twin wheel carriers
-compressor

any help would be great. happy to listen to any feed back on the differant companys and their gear

growler2058
17th April 2012, 04:40 PM
Ok the old defender has finally been sold this arvo :biggrin:

Now i need some help. I have got my quotes from ARB, TJM and OL and the total between them isn't much so am now unsure who to go thru so am hoping that some of you may be able to help my decision with your thoughts and experiance.
I am looking to start the build with
-winch bar
-winch 12000lb with rope
-snorkel
-brush bars and steps
-dual batteries
-2" lift (OME or tough dog)
-roof console
- side by side draws with fridge slide
-cargo barrier
-awning
-rear bar with twin wheel carriers
-compressor

any help would be great. happy to listen to any feed back on the differant companys and their gear

Not to throw a spanner in the works but have seen 1st hand the xgs gold (tjm) work really well on Timbos GU over the easter long weekend. Also have it on wifeys Prado and real happy with it

Waka
17th April 2012, 09:46 PM
Well done on selling the Landy…and good luck with the decisions on your extras. I’m not prepared to recommend items just because I have them but I don’t think you’ll go too wrong with either of the major brands. I’d only suggest you check availability as part of your decision making process and don’t be afraid to negotiate on price. I know how big a discount they give at the 4wd/camping shows so there is room to move on price. I don’t recall you mentioning tyres? Are you upgrading them?

Waka

gowalkabout.com.au
18th April 2012, 07:20 AM
Yeah will most likely go with 33's (or equlivent) in a maxxis bighorn. Have been using these tyres for years on other rigs and couldn't be happier with their performance. But for the short term will be sticking with the factory tyres

oncedisturbed
18th April 2012, 08:19 AM
i have the OME 2" setup with 33" Maxxis A/t's on them and they work a treat for me, best set of A/T's I have used, had just on 90k on the BT50 before I sold it and they still had over 50% tread left

Maxhead
18th April 2012, 08:32 AM
had just on 90k on the BT50 before I sold it and they still had over 50% tread left

Really!!??

oncedisturbed
18th April 2012, 08:46 AM
yup, 1st set was the OEM bridgestones that dies after 17,500ish, 2nd set was roughly 40,000 bridgestones again (big issues with cv's) then put the maxxis on it and sold the rig with 123,500ish to get the Troll

i was pleasantly surprised so had no probs putting them on the Troll

Rip'n'Shred
18th April 2012, 09:20 AM
Wow! sorry to hijack but I have a BT50, (trading very very soon on patrol) got about 30k out of original bridgestone's, now have maxxis bravo 771 A/T about 32k, not far off gone!

I'm also looking at a similar list. Mainly ARB gear, with suspension stuff lift kit, and some gear from Tigerz11. Great pricing.

Waka
21st April 2012, 10:27 PM
I ended up getting the OME 2" lift kit. I'll let you know how it is once it's fitted. Have you made a decision on suspension yet?

Waka

gowalkabout.com.au
27th April 2012, 05:25 PM
Well i've finnally bitten the bullet and handed over a BIG stack of cash :oops: . So the new rig will start its transformation on monday. So the mods so far are all ARB

Delux bullbar
Side rails and steps
OME 2" lift
Snorkel
Cargo barrier
Compressor w/pump up kit
Roof console (to fit my icom)
Draws w/slide tops
MSA seat covers
12000lb winch
Spot lights
Dual batteries
Awning
full length trade rack
and a new recovery kit

future mods once the bank account recovers include

Rear bar w/twin wheel carriers
long range tanks
33" tyres
chip
new fridges

anyway will post pics as the build progresses :biggrin:

gregs
27th April 2012, 05:51 PM
"Bitten the bullet"...did you rob a bank or something....your wallet will be very light for a while. Will be good to see some pics.

Cheers

Greg

BLKWDW
28th April 2012, 11:03 AM
Loving the colour and mods list cant wait ti see pic all done. Tossing up whether to keep my gq white or go black.

Clunk
28th April 2012, 11:54 AM
looking good mate, reckon it will look sweet as with all the kit on

gowalkabout.com.au
30th April 2012, 10:01 PM
Well got the first few bits put on today. So now have roof console w/icom installed, compressor under the bonnet, dual batteries w/incab monitor, cargo barrier, snorkel, and draws both with slide tops to fit the 2 Engels I bought yesterday. Will be back in for suspension and bar work and a few other bits in another week or so when the bar turns up. Pics to come

Waka
1st May 2012, 08:40 PM
interested to see if you get your bar and roof rack before i do...mine have been on order for a month now. i look forward to seeing your pics.

gowalkabout.com.au
2nd May 2012, 08:19 AM
I have been told the bar will be coming out of the factory ready to ship (couple of days) on the 4th so should be here by end of next week. After the issues with my rack I don't think they would bullshit me ( I hope )

gowalkabout.com.au
9th May 2012, 06:16 PM
A quick pic of a few of the bits already put on the rig before it's trip back to ARB to get the bar, winch, brush bars and steps and a few other bits put on tomorrow

Maxhead
9th May 2012, 06:31 PM
Nice, will look beauuuuuuuuuuuutiful tomorrow though

gowalkabout.com.au
9th May 2012, 06:55 PM
yeah looks good now but you should have seen it yesterday covered in mud and dirt. I should have taken a pic of it then before i washed it :oops: .

Maxhead
9th May 2012, 06:58 PM
yeah looks good now but you should have seen it yesterday covered in mud and dirt. I should have taken a pic of it then before i washed it :oops: .

Oh well, good excuse to go and get it dirty again...LOL

gregs
10th May 2012, 06:58 AM
Damn...the black does look good. Can't wait to see it with the rest of the bits.

BLKWDW
10th May 2012, 08:55 AM
Once again i luv the black. Make filler polishers your best friend and it will help get rid of the bush pinstriping etc you have show up on the paint.

gowalkabout.com.au
11th May 2012, 06:39 PM
A few more pics

now with msa seat covers, bar, winch, lights, lift and a few other bits :Yahoo!:

gowalkabout.com.au
11th May 2012, 06:40 PM
now just waiting on the sidesteps and side bars

growler2058
11th May 2012, 06:42 PM
Looking very tuff mate very CIA just need some 35" tyres and yer all over it!

Tappin N Crappin

Waka
11th May 2012, 08:55 PM
one word, AWESOME!.

how long did you wait for your bar? hows the ride with the OME lift?

gowalkabout.com.au
12th May 2012, 09:21 AM
The ride is great. Wait was about 2 weeks.
Think I'm going to go 33's and maybe sooner than I thought I would as I found a screw in a tyre this morning

maxblack
12th May 2012, 05:55 PM
Sweet ride bro ;)

Maxhead
12th May 2012, 05:57 PM
WOW, the black looks tough with all the gear on it ...Haqhahahahah. Bring on the 33's

Waka
13th May 2012, 08:59 PM
i had my 33s fitted yesterday and yes the look unreal. I had to remove the front mud flaps though as they were rubbing at full lock. you won't regret getting them.

Waka

maxblack
13th May 2012, 09:02 PM
pics pics pics pics pics......please :)

Clunk
13th May 2012, 10:19 PM
yep, just as I predicted.............. looks sweet mate, for a GUrly trol hahahahaha

Winnie
13th May 2012, 10:26 PM
Looks a million bucks mate

Rip'n'Shred
14th May 2012, 09:48 PM
Damn! Looking awesome mate. Very sexy GU. :thumbup:

Are the drawers you have the arb outback modular?

gowalkabout.com.au
15th May 2012, 07:32 AM
Are the drawers you have the arb outback modular?

Yes they are and both have slide tops.

gowalkabout.com.au
15th May 2012, 02:31 PM
Thought i would put up some pics from our mothers day bbq.

Steve879
15th May 2012, 03:22 PM
Very nice mate! great looking truck!

Rip'n'Shred
15th May 2012, 05:07 PM
Looks like a top location mate, a but chilly but!

Waka
15th May 2012, 08:18 PM
Nice pictures mate. thanks for sharing

Knorf
31st May 2012, 02:40 PM
Very nice indeed, getting one myself as soon as the guiv sells. Can't believe they didnt take out the rear seatbelts during the drawer install though. your gear will snag on them.

Bloggsy
31st May 2012, 03:30 PM
Very, very nice!!

With the rear seatbelts, just unbolt them at the floor, pull the plastic guide cap off the D-pillar, feed the belt and floor bracket through the plastic guide cap, fold up the belt and secure with a cable tie or the like, pop it in the the D-pillar and then put the plastice guide cap back on the D-pillar. That way the belt is still there when and if you need it. Make sure you put the floor bolt back in floor though, otherwise you may get water and dust entering the cabin (sorry can't remember if the floor bolt is open to the elements or not).

gowalkabout.com.au
1st June 2012, 09:04 AM
Not to concerned about the seatbelt as I really only have the fridges ontop of the draws and everything else in the draws and camper trailer. The mrs also wants to put the back row of seats back in about twice a year when the relies come down from the mainland so one less thing for me to bolt in or out.
I now have the side bars and steps on as well :) . Now I just need a good set of tyres and am done for awhile ........maybe

Winnie
1st June 2012, 09:31 AM
Would love to see photos of the new bar work.

gowalkabout.com.au
28th June 2012, 05:54 PM
Well just ordered the new rubber some kumho kl71's in 285/75/16 and some new black sunnies for them to go on :) being fitted tomorrow so pics to come

gowalkabout.com.au
29th June 2012, 02:11 PM
Back in Black

Winnie
29th June 2012, 02:24 PM
That looks absolutely spectacular mate!

Maxhead
29th June 2012, 03:01 PM
Geez I love black rims......guess what I'm getting next...hahahha

Well done mate

Waka
2nd July 2012, 10:39 PM
wow! it looks awesome mate. well done.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd July 2012, 11:07 PM
Really does change the look of the truck. I luv it

Clunk
3rd July 2012, 12:06 AM
You've produced something that Henry Ford Sr would be proud of...... you can have it in any colour you want, as long as its black :biggrin:
Looks superb mate... love it

nissannewby
3rd July 2012, 12:33 AM
gotta love black on black when it comes together and looks that good.