PDA

View Full Version : Aerial on 94 GQ

Paul53
7th March 2012, 01:15 PM
Just wired up new Radio/CD player to the pride and joy and was wondering if the aerial is supposed to go up and down when the radio is turned on/off or does it only operate with the manual switch on the dash?

Thanks
Paul

rusty_nail
7th March 2012, 01:22 PM
nah mate, it wont go up and down automatically there is no relay set into the wiring to put it up and down, just that manual switch =)

Paul53
7th March 2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks Rusty - - will just put it all back together and use the switch.

the evil twin
7th March 2012, 05:32 PM
Jeez, it's been a couple of years but I'd swear my '94 RX power antenna worked in conjunction with the Radio Power.
There is a timer in the wiring diagram for the Auto Antenna but may not be on all models
I could be wrong but did you make sure you picked up the correct wire from the after market Head Unit

Stu
7th March 2012, 08:50 PM
Mines a '96 ST and it just has the manual up an down factory switch on the dash, was no extra wiring when I fitted up a new head unit.

Robo
12th March 2012, 10:35 AM
The idea was, you can put the aerial down in the bush so you don't break it off on the first tree branch you go past.
And still be able to use the CD player, with the aerial down.
back then electronics where a little less complicated.
" and so was life I recon ".

VIRK
12th March 2012, 11:05 AM
For some reason mine does'nt even have an antenna... maybe the radio catches the signal through my cb radio antenna..

the evil twin
12th March 2012, 11:18 AM
The idea was, you can put the aerial down in the bush so you don't break it off on the first tree branch you go past.

Yep, I'm aware of that. The OP wanted to know about the power antenna with the power off altogether to the Head Unit tho. As I said it's been a while but I'm pretty sure my antenna on my 94 RX would retract if I turned the Head Unit off. Been a few years now since I sold the truck tho so not 100% sure I'll admit

For some reason mine does'nt even have an antenna... maybe the radio catches the signal through my cb radio antenna..

You'll know if thats the case because every time you transmit on the CB smoke will billow out of the Head Unit as the CB pumps 5 watts of RF into the input stages of the radio without a splitter.

It's doable but the wiring, splitters and filtering make it impractical IMHO.

Robo
12th March 2012, 11:23 AM

My R32Gtr has a aerial built into front and rear windscreens, maybe you have something similar.

I bought an adaptor (over 20 yrs ago) that connected both aerial leads to CB aerial.
It didn't blow up as a result.

butters
12th March 2012, 10:01 PM
:hijacked: Sorry for the hijack!

I'm not too fussed, but my aerial is completely snapped halfway down. Is it a cheap part to replace or not even worth it?

Yendor
12th March 2012, 10:14 PM
You'll know if thats the case because every time you transmit on the CB smoke will billow out of the Head Unit as the CB pumps 5 watts of RF into the input stages of the radio without a splitter.

It's doable but the wiring, splitters and filtering make it impractical IMHO.

What a party pooper.......nothing wrong with a bit of smoke lol

the evil twin
13th March 2012, 12:08 AM
:hijacked: Sorry for the hijack!

I'm not too fussed, but my aerial is completely snapped halfway down. Is it a cheap part to replace or not even worth it?

About $40 and 30 seconds. Well first time takes an few minutes but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc take 30 seconds. You just buy a new mast and rope, undo the nut on top of the guard, select up and it spits the old one out, feed the new rope in until iy hits the drive cog and select down, do the nut up, voila, fini

Clunk
13th March 2012, 12:12 AM
By aerial only goes up an down via the switch too............ so unless the previous owner didn't connect a cable somewhere