PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Buying GU auto patrol

Kered92
6th March 2012, 07:01 PM
Hey guys, im new to this forum so how are you all.
I own an XJ Cherokee at the moment and am looking at buying a GU, I've found one private in town for 19,000, its '04 model with 167,000kms and a 3.0L auto.
I was just wondering for your opinions on this car, and what to look out for as i heard the 3.0 (earlier) had some critical issues with the motor.

would you be able to recommend what to buy under 20k and alsois it worth doing a manual conversion on this car later on in its life, (what price would I be looking at?)
thanks you any help I receive, patrol boys seem to be a bit more friendly than cruiser boys... :)

holden4th
6th March 2012, 08:24 PM
I got my GUIV auto for $14k but it did have 300ks on the clock. I've spent $2500 bringing it up to scratch and reckon I've got an absolute bargain. My insurers have insured it for $26k. This is a great vehicle and with the kms quoted you can't go wrong. The grenade issue doesn't apply to this model.

Kered92
6th March 2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks mate, its good to hear from someone who has bought a similar car. So the grenade issue was only earlier models 98-02ish was it?

BillsGU
6th March 2012, 09:07 PM
I have an auto GU2 with a GU4 motor. The auto is very easy to use off road. I have previously had a manual 4WD for many years and I thought autos were for girls and not much chop off road - but I have certainly changed my mind. They are much easier to drive off road and allow you to concentrate on other (more important) aspects of 4 wheel driving. Their only downfall is in steep descents. But installing a manual lock up (see other topics on this forum on how to modify your auto) is really simple.

Kered92
6th March 2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks BillsGU, Mydad has a GQ and has been telling me to buy an auto, i thought they were for girls as well although am starting to change my mind regarding there ease of use 4WDing, this has been helpful.

GRA.GU
8th March 2012, 01:06 PM
Kered, as stated by Bill the auto is superior in most off road situations. Whilst your mates are snatching extra gears and losing momentum on a sand dune, you are purring to the top. Or in a creek crossing you find an unexpected hole - the manual requires a change down with the obvious risk of water on the clutch, but the torque converter of the auto permits you to continue. I think once you experience the autos ability you'll forget all about a manual conversion. However, increased fuel usage is the main disadvantage. Also be aware that the towing capacity of the auto is less than the manual.

Re the grenade issues, although the later GUIVs seem to have far less problems there certainly have been cases of grenading with these, and so it would be wise to carry out the NADS.[search this forum]. Having said this, there are a heck of a lot of Patrols running around oblivious to the problems and exhibiting no ill effects, but better to be sure than sorry.

Re the manual lock up, Bill, think you'll find that in 1st low range the torque converter is in fact locked in the standard gearbox, and that therefore you get no real advantage off road. It's my understanding that it's on road, and particularly when towing, that the manual device has advantages. For these reasons I've not fitted one to mine.

Cheers Fellas.

bazzad
9th March 2012, 09:03 PM
Hey Kered,
I would have to agree with all of the above. Autos are the go. I have had those uh oh i need to change gear and the momemtum is gone.

BillsGU
10th March 2012, 11:58 AM
Kered, as stated by Bill the auto is superior in most off road situations. Whilst your mates are snatching extra gears and losing momentum on a sand dune, you are purring to the top. Or in a creek crossing you find an unexpected hole - the manual requires a change down with the obvious risk of water on the clutch, but the torque converter of the auto permits you to continue. I think once you experience the autos ability you'll forget all about a manual conversion. However, increased fuel usage is the main disadvantage. Also be aware that the towing capacity of the auto is less than the manual.

Re the grenade issues, although the later GUIVs seem to have far less problems there certainly have been cases of grenading with these, and so it would be wise to carry out the NADS.[search this forum]. Having said this, there are a heck of a lot of Patrols running around oblivious to the problems and exhibiting no ill effects, but better to be sure than sorry.

Re the manual lock up, Bill, think you'll find that in 1st low range the torque converter is in fact locked in the standard gearbox, and that therefore you get no real advantage off road. It's my understanding that it's on road, and particularly when towing, that the manual device has advantages. For these reasons I've not fitted one to mine.

Cheers Fellas.

That pretty much says it all.

nissan2005
10th March 2012, 04:36 PM
Hi guys'
Im buying a 2005 3litre patrol tubo diesel are these ok as well no issues

the evil twin
10th March 2012, 06:11 PM
The "grenade" stemmed from blown pistons in the very early vehicles. Unfortunately the term is now applied to any ZD30 that fails so it becomes very confusing and indeed totally unrelated to the original issues.

The '04 will not have the original grenade problems and that sounds a good price.

The Auto doesn't lock in 1st low to my knowledge but even if it did I would still fit a Lockup switch as they are pretty darn handy. If it does lock in 1st low then it unlocks at too high an RPM.