PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate brown

Radmobile
6th March 2012, 05:22 PM
Chocolat brown coolant.

So I'm sure I have a head gasket or cracked head but can anyone tell me why the coolant goes poo brown? Is the combustion gas going into the radiator?

Because the water was chocolate for a long Time but the bubbles only came up after a big drive last week. Just trying to suss if there was a previous problem that caused the brown that in turn caused the crack.

No mud play for me!

growler2058
6th March 2012, 07:10 PM
Exhaust contamination sounds like a good theory mate. Have ya always run coolant could it be rust from block water ways???

Radmobile
6th March 2012, 07:27 PM
Was replacement engine so not so sure on that one, but yea it's almost red.... Anyhow new head and gasket when I get a free weekend. Hopefully get it all back in check. Was running great n great power for a rd28 don't know what he did to it.(the last owner)

Wine_maker
6th March 2012, 10:50 PM
Mine coolant also was a color of coca-cola and foaming like it when I bought my shorty.
Then I drain it and fill new and no color changing more than 9 month.

nissannewby
7th March 2012, 02:44 PM
Is there any change in your engine oil colour and level? And does your coolant level vary? The radiator could just need a good flush as well as the block if these stay dirty when performing a coolant change it will dirty up in no time. When you pull the head off check if there is any fluid in the pots

billyj
7th March 2012, 06:44 PM
just get a mech to do a gas test on the cooling system takes about all of 15 mins and will tell you one way or another

Radmobile
10th March 2012, 03:53 PM
cheers guys, ill start small n i guess finish up with the major work, pitty shes runnin pretty well

Radmobile
20th March 2012, 08:20 PM
Gas test Thursday and pull down weekend! Let y'all know how it goes. Cheers for the comments !

Radmobile
24th March 2012, 03:45 PM
Supprisingly no gas in radiator :/

LittleJohn
24th March 2012, 04:24 PM
Gas test is for leaks in the system , not actual gas i thought ! LOL's

nissannewby
24th March 2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah the gas test usually makes a liquid or something change colour with the carbon monoxide (from a petrol) and with diesel there would be a substance that reacts with the combustion gases if there is any in the rad system (could stand to be corrected here)