PDA

View Full Version : Intermitant problem for three years Help

webbo65
5th March 2012, 10:54 PM
Hello to you all, I am a 3ltr turbo diesel Patrol driver, My truck has been around Australia including the usual Cape york, Unadatta (sic) track, Kimberley's etc etc. Its done a small 115,000Kms only as its used for holiday and not a daily drive. Its a 2003 model. That my intro !!!
The problem abaout three years ago I had left Frazer Island enroute to Witsunday's when my truck started the occasional hickup {I'll call it} it feels like the car hichups this gradually got worse over about 30kms until it stopped any real form of powered acceleration and I suppose would not accelerate over about 80kph. I stopped turned the engine off had a look around couldnt see anything obvious restarted the engine and continued on as if nothing was wrong for about 20 minutes then the same started again. Stopped on and off for the next 160kms until I reached Rock Hampton where I had it checked at Nissan. They gave me the we need it at least a week as the computer shows 13 faults from a simple sender unit to the Diesel Pump. I didnt have a week so I continued on to the whitsundays without any further issues. On the way home at about Texas say 1000kms without trouble it all started again. This continued until I returned home to Sydney.
Took it to Nissan Blacktown they did a service and fixed the problem $1500.00. About a week later the same issue occured I checked some of the items Nissan said they replaced to find not everything they said they had done had been done. So I took my truck to a private Mechanic and he found the MAF sensor needed to be replaced the air filter and fuel filter needed to be replaced (Yes Nissan did that toooooo) and the Intercooler was cracked problem fixed $2500.00. Unfortunatley not, about a month later the same issues. I have missed out when it hickups especially at low speeds say taking off powering through second gear the engine hichups and a large cloud of white smoke is expelled. When trying to accelerate when the engine is in top gear it blows clouds of black smoke.
I visited a couple of different forums and was lead to Westend Diesel. They took the truck and replaced this and that but the problem came back all up they have hed it four times and have rebuilt the diesel pump, replaced the injectors, serviced it, remapped the Stienbauwer (sic) and the problem is still there. Ive now spent over $10,000 tring to fix it and it still is not fixed the last longest stint has been about 750kms going absolutely fantastic then I went to Bega and at about Albino Park it started to play up and hasnt stopped since.

Any body got any idea's (I love my truck and have many modification, for 4wding) I dont want to burn it, sell it etc I really want to fix it other than this intermittant problem it really is a great truck...

Thanks
Gary

macca86
5th March 2012, 11:04 PM
mmm oil feed problems to the turbo? sticking turbo veins? over boosting sending computer to limp mode? have you got boost guage and egt guage? they'll tell you what's going on.

webbo65
7th March 2012, 05:37 PM
Hi Macca86,

I dont have either and sadly wouldnt know what they should read if I did or what to do if they exceeded what they should be.

Do you know any one that fits and explains these gauges etc. Or even better a machanic that can fix these problems without just replacing stuff and seeing what happens.

Thanks
Gary

macca86
7th March 2012, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=webbo65;196709]Hi Macca86,

I dont have either and sadly wouldnt know what they should read if I did or what to do if they exceeded what they should be.

Do you know any one that fits and explains these gauges etc. Or even better a machanic that can fix these problems without just replacing stuff and seeing what happens.

Boost guage tells what pressure the turbo is making About 15psi is the limit for the zd30 and under heavy load may spike to 20 psi but only for a few seconds before it goes back down to 15 VNT turbo so boost will fluctuate and not spool up like a regular turbo.

EGT guate is exhust gas tempreture around town I'm abot 250 to 300 degrees. on long hill climbs watch it if you get up to 500 plus you want to back off or change down a gear to reduce temps. Any decent mechanic can do these mods or do them yourself. I can only reccomend brisbane or rockhampton workshops. Search doing the nads for more info

webbo65
7th March 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks Macca86,

I'll start looking and for a decent mechanic and hopefully get my truck fixed...

Thanks again
Gary

Yendor
8th March 2012, 09:27 AM
Check your earths are clean and tight, especially the ones on the RHS of the engine just under the intercooler.

Also try swapping the ECU relay with another relay. The relay is located just above the fuse box inside the vehicle and is brown in colour.

Just swap it with another brown relay, from memory the A/C relay is brown and is in the fuse box under the bonnet.

If the above are OK, you will need to clear the fault codes and then follow the flow chart in the workshop manual once the code reappears.

As said above, the gauges are handy to have.

Cheers Rodney

bazzad
12th March 2012, 08:24 PM
Hey webbo65,
This might sound dumb but I would go and have a look at my fuel cap or the fuel tank breather system. Trying to remember what they have but can't remember ever looking at it. The dying could be a huge vaccuum build up which starves the engine for fuel. the sudden black smoke happens when the air gets into the tank and the fuel suddenly gets sucked into the system again. Easy way to test this is release the cap as soon as it plays up and listen for air being sucked into the tank. If you hear air wait a couple of minutes for the system to stablise then try and drive again leaving the cap loose or even off for a couple of kms.
Thats my 2 cents worth Hope it helps.
bazzad

nedsrig
14th December 2012, 08:16 PM
hey webbo65 how did you go with the help did it fix the problem as i might have the same problem i have a 2000 gu 3ltr diesel and it feels like it has a miss just like a petrol motor coming back from QLD about 3 months ago it started to do the miss thing it did it about 3 times over the 2000 klm it only did it for about 2 minuets and then it would run perfect i will try the ideas that were told to you on the forum hope it solves the problem nedsrig (neddy)

Bloodyaussie
14th December 2012, 09:13 PM
Welcome aboard mate............

wildgu6
14th December 2012, 09:25 PM
G'day Gary and welcome to the site mate, Top place Top people and a world of knowledge.
Hopefully some one can help sort your prob'.

Mate of mine had a similar sort of prob'
Heres a brief discription of his issue,

2003 3lt auto when you put it under load it seams to miss and carry on
Some times she will run good other times like a pig
If it had plugs and points that would be the problem but she dont
Have done a filter change but no good
Any could be reasons would be welcome

And the problem,

The man from Nissan told me i was going to be up for 4 grand for an injector pump
Wont tell ya what i said
Ended up being fungus in the fuel tank
A can of this and a bit of that we got out of it for 400 bucks
All happy now The troll is running a treat now

Heres a couple of links on the prob' and control.
http://www.nulon.com.au/pdf/FS109%20-%20Bacteria-Fungal%20Growth%20in%20Diesel%20Fuel/

http://www.neptuneproducts.co.nz/shop/Articles/DIESEL+Fuel+bugs.html

Hope it helps mate, and enjoy the forum with what it has to offer.

Cheers Pete

P.S There's one for ya Rossco hahahahahaha

Morton
16th December 2012, 02:43 AM
I will throw this out there to confuss you even more, sounds like a cracked head, this is sometimes very, very difficult to diagnose, will occasionally spit & cough, not always get hot, this would cause these symptoms, no noticable loss of water or oil, not always the gasket, not always found from a pressure test, just the tiniest or tiny cracks, I believe an xray it the go, Nissan Blacktown should know better, they took 2 years to find this exact issue with another 3L just last year, find a good head shop, (pun NOT intended lol)

mudski
16th December 2012, 07:29 AM
Welcome aboard mate............

Yeah, for March this year. He hasn't been on since, so its either fixed and he's gone, he's gone, or he sold it.

wildgu6
16th December 2012, 09:09 AM
Yeah, for March this year. He hasn't been on since, so its either fixed and he's gone, he's gone, or he sold it.

Well that will teach us to look at dates not just threads, aye

TAP TAP TAP MERRY XMAS TO ALL AND A SAFE NEW YEAR TO COME

mudski
16th December 2012, 05:26 PM
Well that will teach us to look at dates not just threads, aye

Aye! Choice bro!