PDA

View Full Version : iv done this one made sence to me

madchris
5th March 2012, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvcGsUVyBnI :1087: went on face book buy swap sell there is probably one if your on face book i have to be as my girls are growing up and have it so anyways was on there the other day and picked up an ion man winch 12000 pounder for 140 bucks i no complain and on the way home stopped into the wreckers as yu do and spotted another one no brand name but a 12000 pounder as well asked and coodent pass it up at 50 bucks and works a treat so end result is 28000 pond's lol one in the front and the other in the rear thank you ill come again :smileyvault-cute-bi seen this and thought what a gr8 eider

NissanGQ4.2
5th March 2012, 09:43 PM
pain in the as! if you had 2 remove for repairs, but good way of stopping a lazy thief.

Bigrig
5th March 2012, 09:47 PM
pain in the as! if you had 2 remove for repairs, but good way of stopping a lazy thief.

X2 ... would be worthwhile on mine though as the bolts are on the front of the bar (not underneath).

AB
5th March 2012, 10:25 PM
Yep good idea and simple idea. Just make sure you have the right winch installed and are 100% happy with it before welding it on...lol

megatexture
6th March 2012, 02:25 AM
My winch can’t come out from behind the bull bar unless you #1 pull bull bar off #2 separate the winch and that would take a little too long for a thief to bother with.
great vid though I’d probably just spot tack the bolt it can be grinded off and reused still just may have to use spanner not a socket

Tweakedoffroad
6th March 2012, 12:56 PM
I have two different sized bolt heads one is a normal spanner size and the others are alen key so if they wAnt it bad enough good luck to them Don't agree with welding a plate over the nut lot of work once a year to get it of to service the winch after not to long the welds will eventually weaken the bar from welding grinding welding etc a simple tack on the bolt would work the same and for the cost of a bolt would be better than a bar down the track

Dominator
8th March 2012, 07:57 PM
A mate of mine came up with a good idea for stopping people stealing his spot lights and could also be adaped to this. Once you have it all mounted and are happy with it put some of that epoxy putty over the bolt heads, (the stuff you use to patch up fuel tanks an stuff). Make it all smooth and once it has dried paint it the same colour as the bar. Makes it kind of look like a cup head bolt and you can't just undo it with a spanner or shifter thus stopping the oportunist theif. If you want to remove the bolt, a bit of love with a hammer and cold chisel will remove the putty and you are free to undo the bolt.

Fity
9th March 2012, 04:20 PM
I used some wheel lock nuts on my driving lights. You can machine off the taper if you like or just use the original nuts and then the lock nut if you have enough thread. Do it up tight and they would be very hard to undo without the key. :)

pattersd
11th March 2012, 01:15 PM
Because I have an alloy bar I fitted a winch cradle behind the bar then cut the cable access and fitted the guides. Definitely a great thief deterrent. and the cradle is bolted direct to the chassis rail suoer stron

patrol_maverick
11th March 2012, 06:11 PM
Too bad if you did the mod to a high-mount on the drum support end then still having the winch stolen, leaving just the drum support bolted to the bar.:furious:

Acko
13th March 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi guys,
Has anyone tried using 1 of those towbar tongue winch mounts?
I'm going to weld a tow point to my front non winch bar so I can go forwards or backwards & keep the winch locked up safe in the back.

Bjorn,
92 GQ Wagon TB42 Auto.

Acko
13th March 2012, 08:31 PM
Looking at the video & being a Fitter & Turner/ engineer by trade it would be a lot easier to just use some rod or flat to weld 2 of the bolt heads together. This makes the 2 bolts un removable without a grinder or gas. It doesn't weld anything to your bar thus not weakening it or anything else & the bolts are easily replaced when you service your winch.