PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on Big power petrol turbo motors in 4wd's

MudSlut
5th March 2012, 05:28 PM
Hey, I have a 91 Patrol 4.2 petrol and am looking into bigger HP motor options. I would like to do a RB25 or RB26 conversion but I don't know if they would be any good off road.

Has anyone here driven or owned a high powered turbo petrol motor in a 4wd?

I have looked into the cost of changing it to a diesel turbo and RB conversions and the costs are quite the same, I like the sound the RB motors make but Diesels are better under water. My petrol is good in the water but it's carby and i don't know how a EFI motor will go.

NissanGQ4.2
5th March 2012, 06:21 PM
Check out Scott's ( Bigrig ) Members ride thread : http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1654-quot-The-Tank-quot-Big-Grey-and-Ugly-..&p=195694#post195694

Sorry can't be of anymore more help then that

Cheers

Todd

Benno7
5th March 2012, 06:24 PM
have you looked in to turboing the tb42?

axl
5th March 2012, 06:39 PM
There's a RB26 powered one getting around here , goes fine off road and it looks like a hoot on the road :)

growler2058
5th March 2012, 06:49 PM
Check out Scott's ( Bigrig ) Members ride thread : http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1654-quot-The-Tank-quot-Big-Grey-and-Ugly-..&p=195694#post195694

Sorry can't be of anymore more help then that

Cheers

Todd

X2!!!!!!!! Check out TANK

Bigrig
5th March 2012, 07:07 PM
Hey mate

yep - I've just gone the turbo petrol path, and couldn't be happier truth be told. A few obstacles on the way, and just dropped my rig back down to the mechanics after the weekend away (different problems though!! :1087:), but all in all, the 4.2 (mines EFI) respond extremely well to turbo setup.

Give Will Tobin a call from QuickSpool (he didn't do mine, but has a good name in the market) as he does Garrett straight bolt on kits for the Patrol specifically starting at $3999 - they put out a reported 350+ HP ... no slouches by any stretch.

Good luck with it mate, and don't be shy to give me a holler if you have any specific questions - I'll do my best with what I learned and find out the rest from the bloke who installed it in order to get you answers.

MudSlut
6th March 2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys, Wow Bigrig... 164 pages later and i still think i'll go the RB26. I'm not sure how healthy my TB42 is so i think i'd be better off getting a newer potentially better looked after motor (As you would hope a GTR motor would have been looked after) and with less K's on it. I'd still love to talk to whoever has the RB26 Patrol.

taslucas
6th March 2012, 06:47 PM
A mate has the RB30 with a 330 cfm holley. It goes damn well, with heaps of punch. He has just purchased a couple of VL turbo motors to build one up. cant wait to see the result.

MudSlut
6th March 2012, 08:51 PM
Taslucas, I'm from the NW also, we should go off road some time. Is your mate in the NW also?

Ben-e-boy
6th March 2012, 09:17 PM
my opinion is

do it once ,do it right dont try on a small budget you wont be happy

yort
6th March 2012, 09:31 PM
hey bigrig how's your fuel economy since the turbo went on?

troy

Bigrig
6th March 2012, 09:35 PM
hey bigrig how's your fuel economy since the turbo went on?

troy

Hey mate

Returned 15.9 lph on the weekend out to Warwick ... that was up Cunningham gap, and with a bit of slow traffic ... pretty happy.

macca86
6th March 2012, 10:13 PM
Save some cash buy a rb30 from a vl or skyline and turbo that heaps cheaper than a rb26 and will be easier to get part than a 26 and patrols came with rb30's so will be able to get gearboxes etc. If the budget is large keep the rb30 bottom and and do the 26 head still very easy to get 400 to 500 hp out the single cam head and cheaper. Also you're 4wding so you want tourqe and plenty of it in a 4wd and you will get that from the motor but it wont be till 4000 rpm then you start having traction problems all depends on what you want out of your motor
http://users.on.net/~sandr/twincam.htm
here's some info you can get http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/straight-6-development-modification/121677-hybrid-rb30-26-a.html

fat spider
22nd March 2012, 10:37 AM
Hey, I have a 91 Patrol 4.2 petrol and am looking into bigger HP motor options. I would like to do a RB25 or RB26 conversion but I don't know if they would be any good off road.

Has anyone here driven or owned a high powered turbo petrol motor in a 4wd?

I have looked into the cost of changing it to a diesel turbo and RB conversions and the costs are quite the same, I like the sound the RB motors make but Diesels are better under water. My petrol is good in the water but it's carby and i don't know how a EFI motor will go.

my personal opinion is a big capacity TB42e is the way to go for good all round performance and reliability, it's hard to get a good RB26 as all have been thrashed and are expensive to rebuild, TB42s are cheap and strong and relatively easy to increase capacity to 4.9 ltr and as such regularly make incredible low down torque 260 ft/lds @ 600 rpm up to 375 ft/lbs @ 3600 rpm with around 300hp @ 5000 rpm.
RB26s are definitely dead under 3000 rpm and turbo motors are notoriously hard to get on boost if bogged in soft sand etc.

MQ MAD
22nd March 2012, 12:40 PM
I see many problems with small engines force fed
They need to rev to develop the power they make, for off road use a high revving motor is not what you need
You need an engine that has a majority of its power and torque where you need , low end rev range just off idle
Power costs money , reliable power costs more money , a high revving engine costs more money

I would go a new falcon 6 turbo donk before any RB26
Theres a few around , do 11 sec 1/4 mile, return great economy,all 100% legal , and that dosile that the missus can drive the kids to skool
RB motors are ol skool now , the new kid on the block is the ford turbo motors

Any RB motor now will either have had a very abusive life or be a high K version

Winnie
22nd March 2012, 12:46 PM
There's a bloke running one of the older SOHC 4.0L Ford turbo motors and it's nuts.

How about the 6.6L Duramax twin turbo V8 diesel? :D

nissannewby
22nd March 2012, 02:20 PM
Small cube motors are no good in such a big car by the time anything starts to happen you have hit 4000rpm and it only makes power to 6000rpm. I would go the TB42E direction as others have stated are already a big torquey inline six that do respond well to a turbo setup 300+ hp very easily without running a whole lot of boost. If you want a big hp petrol 6 have a look in the classified section someone is selling a high hp TB45 turbo. Extra torque out of the longer stroke plus 350 somethin rwrk (not hp) .

taslucas
22nd March 2012, 03:59 PM
I can see the argument for low reving, torquey engines and personally I agree. But it depends where you drive. Down here the majority of driving is slippery thick mud, with muddy ruts and muddy puddles, mud caked hills and bog(lol yes it's that fun!). If you don't rev it, you get nowhere. A good mate has the RB30 and it goes really well. Two other mates have the 2.8 turbo diesel- more torque but they just don't have the POWER you get from reving and seem to bog down in the mud. As I said at the top tho, I prefer my tb42 because it had torque AND power when you rev it.

tappa slappn about

MudSlut
23rd March 2012, 10:12 AM
Yes I do agree with the need for low end touque as sated above by many people, but as Taslucas said in Tassie there is a lot of clay/mud where high revving seems to get the job done better than crawling. Speed and aggression... That is all :D

taslucas
23rd March 2012, 11:56 AM
Yes I do agree with the need for low end touque as sated above by many people, but as Taslucas said in Tassie there is a lot of clay/mud where high revving seems to get the job done better than crawling. Speed and aggression... That is all :D

Oh yeah! And it looks like winter is here!
Speed and aggression....that is all

tappa slappn about

1MadEngineer
23rd March 2012, 12:04 PM
We used to run a turbo injected TB42 with 100hp nos, it made good honest HP and torque which was useable all the time. Cheap and reliable IMO

I hate quoting dyno figures cus its all crap... But a genuine 300-350 RWHP is achievable on the gas, and 250 std. (sure i could show you one of the charts i got from a certain 'reputeable' tuner that all the winch challenge guys go to, but it was BS, the car would hardly idle and was almost un-driveable... but it had great HP numbers )
here is a 'front dig' in 3rd, to heat up some 40" comp spec treps!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqnVg49gR10&feature=player_embedded

MudSlut
23rd March 2012, 09:04 PM
Any vids of it in action? I wouldn't mind seeing these patrols with high powered petrol motors in action in the mud or on rocks, whatevs.